Parts

Midi using the arp menu.

1 Like

jfc that means 4x banks of 16 scenes?? thatā€™s so many muffin scene options

For clarity, it means 16 banks x 4 parts x 16 scenes.

1 Like

EPIC metaphors right there

1 Like

Did someone else used part as midi transposition and Circle of Fifth ? :thinking:
I made a project with on each bank 2 x 2 part Major and minor fixed scales + transposition to the scaleā€¦
then only use scenes to lock paramsā€¦

1 Like

The 4 parts are for differen setting (midi, Samples, Effectis, ā€¦Sence.) because the OT is not capable to do this on a pattern basis (e.g. P3 to P4, with Part 1)b like other gear can do. Read in the manual what all can be stored on a pattern and on what in a part. Later you can assign any pattern to Part 1, 2, 3 or 4).

i need to read this like 10 times and come back tomorrow, and read it 10 more.

why have parts if they are just another pattern? i donā€™t understand if one is the same as the other.

Parts are not patterns. Parts are like kits or settings for the tracks, there are 4 parts per bank of patterns, you can assign any 1 of the 4 parts to any pattern in the bank.

5 Likes

OctatrackOverview

2 Likes

Admittedly Iā€™ve only had Octatrack for a week, but hereā€™s how I think about it:

• Project - a collection of songs
  • Sample slots - list of all the samples that can be accessed by all the songs in the Project
  • Bank - a song
  • Part - the samples and FX that get loaded into the 8 tracks to make the song sound the way it does
  • Pattern - a section of the song containing the triggers that tell the samples and FX in the 8 tracks what to do in that section (e.g. beats and melodies for a ā€˜verseā€™). Move through the Patterns to create the song (e.g. intro pattern > verse pattern > chorus pattern > bridge pattern > chorus pattern > outro pattern).
  • Scene - snapshots of sample and FX settings that can be assigned to the crossfader to change multiple settings at the same time.

Because Patterns are separate to Parts they can be mixed and matched (e.g. change the part to make a different kick sample sound play the pattern).

2 Likes

In my mind, parts are different ā€œsonic contextā€ that patterns fit inside of. (Thatā€™s not to say patterns are architecturally inside of parts)

The below video helped me.
ā€œParts are the information you see on the screenā€ or something to that effect https://youtu.be/pJMNWjD-gNs

Sadly I do not know how to embed youtube

3 Likes

Here are my views on PARTS as ive evolved in using and understanding them:

• it was helpful in the beginning to think of them as KITS. In that way I understood the parameters they control.

• Along with a more traditional Kit view, parts also control the machine type, be it pickup, flex etc.

• but then i still remain(ed) confused as to their utility because in the common terminology of PART relative to a song, ā€œooh i love this part of the songā€ generally means a pattern change using the same instruments or kit. Thus, i shouldnt think of PARTS as parts of a song in traditional sense.

• So in trying to understand whats the point, since i dont usually want to have a whole different band come in on the same pattern?

• i thought about OTā€™s other name: a dynamic performance sampler. When i look at it from that angle, PARTS totally make sense. If playing live in the moment i want to devise some very creative ways to twist up a pattern, this is the way to go! Its just not a typical songwriting flow, which is what took me awhile to get.

Anyways, thats really as I say, how my understanding and use evolved. Because im more of a songwriter, i dont find a use for PARTS very often:).

Caveat: if i want to have more than one ā€kitā€ on a BANK, i have to use PARTS:).

3 Likes

Ok, so you CAN use another pattern, but it can be itā€™s own part, not tied to another pattern, makes more sense, thanks!

1 Like

Quite a few users use parts like this:
Patt 1-4 -part1
Patt 5-8 -part2
Patt 9-12 -part3
Patt 13-16 -part4

But you can freely assign them any way you like within the same bank.

Quick way to learn is load the demo project, play a pattern, switch to a different part see what happens when the pattern is playing a different part.

Also read Merlins guide, a lot of users find that helpful.
https://www.elektronauts.com/uploads/default/original/3X/b/4/b4e73b0afd5bbeb5f7daf2b176c73e1f7092f6b0.pdf

4 Likes

Thatā€™s waaaay too organized for my taste

Sometimes I do the same, but in my brain itā€™s just 1 Part - 4 Patterns, then the divider (1, 5, 9, 13 trigs) on the front panel does the rest to understand :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Thatā€™s what I thought at first. It can be an intersting base to remember if you need many parts in a project.
If you only choose patterns 1-4 with parts 1-4, you can be stuck to organize patterns logical order if you need to add more patterns with the same part.

A simple organisation : 1 bank = 1 part.
Donā€™t forget sample locks. You can make a song with 1 part.

Limiting if you need several songs in a project. And if you are synced to other Elektrons, you can use only 8 banks, unless to change other Elektron gear projectsā€¦

1 Like

Totally. If you can live with exactly 4 parts / 4 patterns, then itā€™s a nicely organized paradigm to work in. Unfortunately thatā€™s never how it goes for me :wink:

I make such a mess of my projects that Iā€™ve been starting them on the last bank. I use 3-4 parts on the last bank and do all my sound design and layering, and save all these things as audio samples. Then after I have all my samples, i go back to the first bank and try to have something more organized, but using the audio material I generated in the last bank. If I need to change some of that audio in a way that doesnā€™t fit in the parts on the first bank, i can always revisit the last bank, change things, and sample more. I started using this method recently and then my CF card died :laughing:, so at the moment I only have 1 project like this on my Octatrack, but I think it works well for my disorganized brain.

1 Like

Good idea. I recorded 50 loops and one shots recently from long recordings (half an hour). Doing it in last bank is interesting.

I pretty messy too, but after 8 years with OT, I want to be able to find the right patterns. I usually name their parts to be sureā€¦And name projects of course.

Some people like @Schnork use last bank for part templates.

1 Like