Parts

I’m reactivating this thread in order to discuss a question about reloading parts and motion recordings:

reloading a part is meant to reactive the previous state of a saved part, including parameter values. not included are triggers and motion recordings, so my question is how to revert a mess of recorded p-locks that I want to get rid off, so that my original pattern is back again?

I just found trig lock clear in the manual, but it’s for single trigs only I guess?!

thanks

My workflow is to copy the pattern to another one and then mess with this, keeping the first one as a save point.

5 Likes

Yup

You’re the messy! :wink:
I usually tweak with scenes only, but I learned to record more knobs tweaking with MD.

Func+NO in Live Rec erases all plocks of a track.
Func+Knob press in Live Rec erases corresponding parameter.

3 Likes

thanks, I found your hint in another thread and tried the FUNC + NO combo. this seems like a good solution for now as I don’t have to deal with copy/deleting patterns.

that’s a good advice, too. thanks!

Next challenge is understanding ‘Parts’… still troubling for me. I start working, developing a nice pattern with tweaking samples on several Tracks, then switch to a different one of the other 3 ‘Parts’ and it sounds horrible, disjointed and unrelated to anything I was doing with the ‘Part’ that was set on when I started…(went from Charlie Brown Christmas to Friday the 13th Part 30), not sure what’s going on.

Parts store which machines are assigned to the tracks, which samples are assigmed to the machine and all the track and fx parameters.
The 16 scenes are also stored in parts.
For midi tracks parts store the midi setup (midi channel, program changes), note page, arp page, midi cc assignments and lfos for each of the tracks.

The trigs you enter in a pattern basically play what the parts tell them to play.
A pattern is always linked to a part.
Parts are basically like kits on the other Elektron boxes.

When you changed to a different part the pattern was played back with default settings (Samples 1-8, default parameter settings), that’s why it sounded “unrelated”.

So changing parts give you the opportunity to work within a complete new environment; new samples with new settings and fx, new scenes.
Midi program changes are send when you change to a pattern with a new part.
Since there’s a lot you can do without changing parts, like p-locks, sample locks etc. you don’t have to use a different part when you want to change some stuff.

Program changes are one thing that needs a new part, though.

When you are in the part select menu, [Function] + [Bank] opens the context menu where you can rename, reload, save and sve all parts.
[Function] + [Cue] reloads the part.
Octa MK1.

Always remember to save your parts.
Parts with an asterisk contain unsaved edits.
Save the parts and save the project.
You might lose your work. :slight_smile:

Best to carefully read through the manual and read Merlins guide, there’s so much stuff going on in the Octatrack…

4 Likes

To understand Parts, read the manual carefully, then Merlin’s guide, then search this forum:
https://www.elektronauts.com/search?q=Parts

Then, if you still have questions, please look for a thread that is close enough. It makes it easier for people behind you to find the information.

Thank you for your understanding. I don’t want to restrain you to ask questions, but this place is a mine of information already.
And there are a few rules to participate:

https://www.elektronauts.com/faq#keep-tidy

1 Like

Thanks, I get a basic idea, thats a good starting point, trying to get it to sink in. I also have a Machinedrum and when I switch the 2 modes, similar to Parts are happening, but I haven’t gotten that far with MD yet either.

MD Classic / Extended mode? Different, it makes plocks active or not. Parts can be compared to MD Kits.

1 Like

OK. thx

seems to me that ‘Parts’ are more for Live performance because you can quickly hit an arrow and Yes… But not sure its a needed feature for just composing a track, but I am a novice, so I am learning the logic behind the OT and other elektrons and why they designed things the way they did.

You have 4 Parts available for each Bank, and you can use it as you wish.
One common use would be to assign e.g. Part 1 for Pattern 1 to 4, then Part 2 for Pattern 5 to 8, etc.
Another one could be e.g. to prepare Part 4 for live sampling / transitioning, so you give different purposes to Parts.

My own use is starting Pattern 1 with Part 1, then I go to a different Pattern. And if I need radical changes, I copy-paste Part 1 to Part 2, load Part 2, then do the significant changes, and so on until I reach the Part 4 (I rarely make it to Pattern 16).

3 Likes

Changing parts manually doesn’t always work flawelessly, smt it produces a short glitch sound, smt on synths that are sequenced by OT midi tracks notes are triggered in a different way.
It works seamless when changing patterns ofc.

Same here, but I also focus on the synths sequenced by OT, because program changes can only be send with part changes.

5 Likes

yes, I like that, makes better sense. So you can start with Part 1, copy it and then change it and save it WITH the new pattern(?) as each pattern is evolving and developing, instead of loading the weird variances of the other 3 ‘Parts’ that dont have anything to do with the current project you are working with…

Save the part.
When you are in the part select menu, [Function] + [Bank] opens the context menu where you can rename, reload, save and save all parts.
[Function] + [Cue] reloads the part.
Octa MK1.

A part is always linked to a pattern. Just select the part and it will be linked to the current pattern.

2 Likes

yes, I’ve done that - earlier today when you mentioned it first. thanks

Yeah, just wanted to point out, that when you select a part it is linked to the pattern.
There is no saving parts with patterns.

1 Like

I see, then they are a floating type of Global setting or something then…
But will the Part be recalled as part of the saved Program File, on the CF card?

Yes, of course! And sorry for saying it a third time, but remember to save the parts and save the project each time you are content with your stuff.
Octatrack does autosave all your changes and will also remember the last state when you switch it off, but this also means you can only go back to the saved states of parts and project.
If the last time you saved parts/project was hours ago, you’d lose the work you did during those hours if you wanted to go back.

Rule of thumb; save your stuff from time to time when you’re content with the current state.

2 Likes