Parts

For me it works like this:

Project - The meal.
Bank - Course. First, Second, third etc.
Part - Ingredients
Pattern - Method
Scenes - Seasoning

10 Likes

Yeah they confuse me a bit also. Best thing is to not wonder why, but work out how you could use them.

Very basic example could be :

Project = Album
Bank = Song
Part=Intro/Verse/Chorus/Breakdown
Pattern=1-4 Intro, 5-8 Verse, 9-12 Chorus, 13-16 Break
Scenes=Transition tricks, build ups, drops etc.

12 Likes

I feel like the language used to describe parts is confusing.
I like to think of it like this.
You have 4 parts(kits) per Bank, you can assign them to patterns.

Also, I prefer sample locks to use a variety of samples on one track.
I use parts to change Machines and FX.
Basically my Part 1 is my default set up for Machines and FX, lots if neighbor/thru/static machines.
Part 2 is set up to re-sample, the static machines become flex machines.

4 Likes

Octatrack Patterns and Parts

This is a little video I did a while back to help explain to some cats how Patterns and Parts are linked; and how changing a Part will change the samples triggered by the Pattern etc.

Itā€™s using OctaEdit as a visual aid obviously; but the logic is what it is and thus the same on the Octatrack.

5 Likes

For me, its like for example, why would you want to change a guitar in a rock song to a saxophone in the verse ?

At the moment I just see it as four kits per bank. Iā€™ve been using four patterns for each part and it really works in a live set.

Having said that, after seeing Cenkā€™s video with the volcas (where he has one part set up to record and another to play back the recording, switching between both on the same pattern), Iā€™m tempted to get something similar going with my nordsā€¦

1 Like

I just got an OT today, that was the first thing I tried out, also with resampling. Great stuff!

2 Likes

Welcome on board. :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks, not found anything too infuriating so far, though not having the cursor buttons under the screen keeps throwing me off somewhat.

I think they have so many uses, which is why itā€™s impossible to define what they are meant for.

Another use would be to simply have different FX slots assigned. Part 1 has LoFi and Filter, Part 2 is a copy but I switch the Filter to Dark Reverb.

Donā€™t forget that you can tweak the hell out of the current Part and then use [FUNCTION] + [CUE] to reload it to the saved state. Great for live use. Remember to Save the Part first though :slight_smile:

7 Likes

One thing that I used to forget is that Parts contain pretty much everything except what steps are being triggered.

So - if you change an effect slot to use a different effect, youā€™ve made a change to the current Part.
If you change the Start param for a track, thatā€™s a Part change.
If you create or edit a Scene, thatā€™s a Part change.

If you like what you did, you have to save the Part so that those changes are not lost when you change Parts.

In the beginning, I lost so many changes to Pitch/Timestretch/Start/Len parameters because I forgot to save the Part.

4 Likes

Man alive! This is one of those moments I shouldnā€™t really share as it makes me look like a complete twat but worth the giggles. Keep in mind Iā€™ve properly owned 3 OTā€™s over the years hereā€¦

Was mucking about with the OT this evening and no joke only just realised that selecting a different FX on pattern X changed FX on pattern Y within the same bank. I dunno why, I had always assumed it was FX per pattern haha. Itā€™s starting to make sense now why certain changes didnt have some of the desired results and ruined previous work nowā€¦

So, by falling foul of one of the noobiest mistakes and misunderstandings Iā€™m finally starting to get the value of parts. Go meā€¦ :crazy_face: And when I say ā€œproperly ownedā€ above I am clearly lying. Nothing ā€œproperā€ about it haha!

2 Likes

Within the same part, you mean? :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Donā€™t confuse me nowā€¦ But of course! When one has clearly been a lazy shite and not RTFM or Merlinā€™s Guide properly Iā€™ve only ever been using the one part to date. SHAMEFUL!

2 Likes

I still only use one part per bank most of the time.
I tried using a part per 4 patterns, but it just got to be too much, especially if you want to copy and paste a bank or two.

3 Likes

Iā€™m kind of oppositeā€¦
For a long time Iā€™ve just been using patterns 1-4 of a bank each assigned to a different part, and I just forget about the 12 other patternsā€¦ Lately though Iā€™ve been adding some more patterns to the banks and using more than one pattern per partā€¦

1 Like

Hi there,

I recently purchased an Octatrack MK2 after 5-6 years working with Maschine then Ableton Live and Push (wanted to get rid of my computer in music making and really get back to the live instrument feeling).

So. Iā€™ve read the manual, seen different videos and I feel quite comfortable with the beast after a few hours of practice, which is great since the internet says ā€œitā€™s complicatedā€ :slight_smile:.

However, even though parts are quite clear to me in terms of what they can control / change in the OT behavior, I donā€™t see clear use cases for them, except for creating build-ups or experimenting then reloading the part (the ā€œbasecampā€ approach suggested by Merlin).

Would you share your own use cases and ideas ?

Thanks !

Well itā€™s the only way to specify a midi program and bank message so thatā€™s the main use I have for them. I setup the audio tracks as a sort of sample kit for a specific song. Set up my midi tracks with the program messages Iā€™m going to be using. Then write the patterns for said song.

1 Like

and the search can show existing threads ā€¦
https://www.elektronauts.com/search?q=parts%20%23elektron-gear%3Aoctatrack%20min_post_count%3A15