Parse error, brand new octatrack

@Schnork, ChatGPT has a solution, isn’t it ?

2 Likes

I’ve just recently began loosing projects to “parse error”, I either say no don’t continue loading or if I do continue loading it’s blank. I found an old topic on this but the answer seem inapplicable because I’m running the current firmware.

I’m running on version 1.40A, looks like I have 10g of card free.

Another odd thing I noticed was that some of my files begin with a period and now whenever I try to save a new project that has a title that begins with a period I get a disc full error, but it works ok if I try any other name.

Would love a quick reply, I have my first solo show in a couple weeks and I use the OT as the center f my system, stressing me out that I might show up and have no projects! thanks

Hey there, parse error occurs when there’s illegal/corrupted data on the CF card and the OS can’t parse it.

Here’s a highly entertaining post that also includes some great advice on how it might be resolved:

Hint: try save to new project.

You can also try Elektron support if it doesn’t help. Good luck!

2 Likes

I have the foul Parse Error over and over again, but since I kept making incremental copies with “save to new”, I never lost something. However, that sucks and inflates the amount of files on the card.

Now I read over this and similar threads, and I definitely don’t do anything out of the ordinary, quite on the contrary.

Shall I contact Elektron or will that lead to nothing and I should just get the holy grail of ̶s̶d̶ CF cards according to Elektronauts?

https://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/64-GB-SanDisk-Extreme-120MB-s-Compact-Flash-TypI-800x-Retail_982035.html

On every new project ?
Is the card full, limited, formated a long time ago, with many files deleted ? See what I mean ?
Backup and format the card worth a try. It was the case with my former OG 16GB Kingston, old and full, having to delete projects regularly. Finally I lost everything, I think I turned off OT during card reading…

Formated, worked like a charm after.

CF cards, Compact Flash, to be more precise and avoid confusions.

I couldn’t see anything interesting clicking the link, but from its text I could read SanDisk Extreme 64GB, which I have. I think I had 1 or 2 parse error with it.

I had a parse error on mine a while back. Connecting over usb I could read the log files which told me which files it had trouble parsing. luckily it was a bank file for a bank I wasn’t using so I just replaced it with another blank bank file and that fixed it. Not recommending manually meddling with the files but inspecting the log files may well be worth it.

2 Likes

yes

no, just my few very basic projects and my own sample packs (in the correct file format)

brand new octatrack with the CF card it came with, I did not format it

none

yes, that’s why i said that I didn’t do anything out of the ordinary to spare everyone the conversation :wink:

I guess I can give it a shot and format the original card and see how it goes.

2 Likes

Delete it suffice. It is replaced automatically by a new one.

Yes. But if it’s a new one and behave like this, it is probably a bad one !

1 Like

I don’t understand why elektron doesn’t address this. I bought a better cf card and problem has been solved, I use the og card as a backup. Perhaps elektron should supply a different card at this point.

2 Likes

i mean they address it pretty good. The reading mechanism checks all bytes literally and it generates information it found some. Well if addressing it could tell this right in the dialog which file/memory address was it/was invalid.

Doubt that high quality cards solve the general problem of faulty memory addresses once and for all that appear randomly at any kind of medium. Some cards have a mechanism to circumvent such, formatting is one of those methods, where faulty address ranges are marked as not usable (that typical sloooow formatting process). Depends on the card if they are able to skip such and so on…

Apart from that, does the log file say something more specific? I mean the card if not total out of service keeps a log file in which the OT writes what it found not or got wrong. That would maybe tell at least what file it is.

I assume “address” as in some words, acknowledgement and tips from Elektron :wink:

But anyway …

2 Likes

For those that encountered the parse error, have you checked the log files at the root of the CF card? Is there an indication of where the error occurred?

1 Like

Those always look like this:

2023-11-05 01:32:04 ERROR Couldn’t read bank file ‘/PRESETS/PROJECT 231103RJ/bank05.work’ (‘PARSE ERROR’)
2023-11-05 01:32:49 ERROR Couldn’t read bank file ‘/PRESETS/PROJECT 231103RJ/bank05.work’ (‘PARSE ERROR’)

4 Likes

Isn’t your music extreme enough ? :content:

Provided 32GB are Sandisk too…seem to be the same since at least 1 year (I couldn’t see a difference between the CF in a brand new OT and a 1 yo).

250px-That's_a_paddlin'

1 Like

girl-braces

2 Likes

I haven’t had any issues since I switched to that exact card.

Regarding the logs: have you tried making a copy of the bad bank elsewhere and then deleting /PRESETS/PROJECT 231103RJ/bank05.work? Or maybe you can copy that whole project somewhere else and delete /PRESETS/PROJECT 231103RJ

1 Like

When I first encountered that, I just kept making incremental copies (with save to new). So when the error occured, I had my copy and never lost anything. Still annoying having to fill the card up with copies. I hope things are better with the new card :wink:

1 Like

Did you delete the original one after making new copies? I’m wondering if the corrupted data still exists in /PRESETS/PROJECT 231103RJ/bank05.work and is causing the parse error

1 Like

No, I never deleted anything. My usage of the Octa was also very basic Parse error, brand new octatrack - #54 by Jeanne .

Other log files show other banks of other projects being the error. However, I’ll start with a fresh format :wink:

2 Likes