Parameters changing/setting to zero after startup

I have Heat Mk2 and it’s connected to a bunch of gear which I power up all at the same time via a power strip. For some reason it always powers up with the Wet volume at 0 even if it was at another level previously. If I power it off and on everything goes back to normal.

Anyone else have this issue? I’m running the latest OS.

I don’t have an AH so I’m just guessing: is the issue related to what you have set for ACTIVE AT START in the SETTINGS > OPTIONS menu?

I did check ‘Active At Startup’ and it is checked.

So I investigated further. I specifically watched the Heat during start-up. The Heat seems to start fine, but then after a second settings start changing by themselves. For example Wet will go from 127 to 0, Filter will go from 127 to 0 and Wet/Dry will go from fully wet to fully dry (ie: 64 to -64).

Not all of them change, some do and some don’t—it seems different with each power cycle. It also is different in the time it takes, sometimes it happens within the opening seconds after the start-up screen has gone, other times it can take a few seconds longer.

I tried removing all inputs (Midi/CV) thinking that might have been causing it, but the problem remains.

Is this happening to anyone else?

Here’s a video that shows what happens as it happens. Note in the video how the Saturation Preset is the default. And then notice how the Wet level and Filter both go to 0.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uq14lph1sbgdlhr/Heat-Startup.mov?dl=0

Do I have a ghost in my machine? :sweat_smile:

This did happen to me awhile back with the AHmk2 and I started a support ticket for it. I initially wasn’t able to take it in for repair, so I made new presets and this seemed to help. I feel like somehow the Octatrack being connected via midi may have been a factor.

Recently I took the AHmk2 in for repair of an unrelated issue and upon picking it up I was told something had been addressed regarding the Wet volume at zero, though unfortunately I don’t remember what.

All this to say that you are not the only one with the issue, double check all your midi and creating new presets may help, but Elektron support should be able to help as well if the problem persists.

1 Like

Thanks Frankie138 - I did a Factory Reset which seems to have solved things… at least at a glance. I opened a support ticket also. Will report any more findings here. Also updated the title of this thread now that I know more about the issue.

2 Likes

Hmmmm - so I think I might have figured out why parameters are being set oddly on startup. I think it’s to do with the Knob Mode (Settings > Options > …)

If set to CATCH then the problem doesn’t seem to happen. If set to JUMP then I have the problem.

Would someone care to try on their AH MK II? Change the settings for Knob, pick a preset, power off & on and watch the screen to see if values change to things like (Filter Freq = 0 or Drive = 0 - ie: their lowest values).

Appreciated.

I’m bringing back this topic as I am still having this issue. I’ve noticed that it only changes values on startup if I have the Knob Mode set to Jump (in Settings).

I’ve reported this update to Elektron and they’re asking me to ship the unit back for examination.

But, it feels like a software bug… I wonder if someone can do a quick test for me before I send it back.

Can you set you Analog Heat MKII to Knob Mode: Jump and boot up the machine. Do values change shortly after it’s booted up (usually around 2/3secs in).

Much appreciated!

XOX

One last try here before I send it off to Elektron for repair.

I’m sure it’s a software fault but really would like someone to confirm/deny.

The crap thing right now is that I have to pay for shipping to get this fixed. I’ve only owned the Heat for 2 months and I’ve spent over a month of that with Elektron support. I feel a little cheated and don’t want to be spending more money if this is a software bug…

Anyone? It will take less than 5 mins to test.

:grimacing:

Hi, I just tried with my AHmk2 set to Jump (it was previously set to catch) and am not seeing the levels change after power up, latest OS. Might not be the best test case for you since my AH has been serviced.

Just curious if there is any midi coming in via USB or DIN, though I imagine you have tried everything.

1 Like

Thanks for trying, and no, I pulled out all the cables. Ok, I guess I have an issue. Off it goes!

Update: I sent off my Analog Heat MKII back in December last year and it finally got returned this week (yes it took that long). And guess what, the unit still has the same problem. It’s like it wasn’t even fixed.

I made a new video showing exactly what happens. The video demonstrates the problem of booting up in Jump mode (3 times)… I then boot up in Catch mode and the problem doesn’t happen (though something is changing on startup). I then factory reset and reboot back into Jump mode and the problem remains.

I got a reply from Elektron on this. Turns out it is a software issue and is on the roadmap to be fixed.

I’m glad to have this resolved (or soon to be resolved).

1 Like

Still waiting on this fix. Looking unlikely

I’m experiencing the same issues, was your issue ever solved?

No, it’s a known bug but there’s no word on when it will be fixed. They suggested not using that mode.

I would suggest raising the issue with them also. Perhaps if enough people do they will fix it.

Just bumping this.

Setting the Heat’s knobs to Jump mode causes an issue where on start up, parameters change to random values. This is a known bug acknowledged by @Elektron.

It’s been over a year now and there still has not been a fix.

Clearly Heat MKII is not a priority for them. :unamused:

I was hopeful that OS 1.21 would fix the parameter jumping bug, but no dice. My unit sometimes has parameters resetting mid-jam, leaving me guessing why did the sound cut off. I’m rather disappointed, as it’s been 6 months since I contacted Elektron support and they acknowledged the problem. A very different experience than with their “mainline” devices.

Agree. For me, it took them a while and a lot of hassle for them to correctly identify the issue (see above) and since then it’s been radio silence. I’ve email nudged the support person who helped me identify the problem a few times, but it doesn’t seem to be a priority. Which is odd as it renders one mode of operation (JUMP Mode) useless.

I sold mine in the end.