Parallel filtering on OT

Bit of a thought experiment here really, when I’m away from my OT I like to try and think of new ideas…

I’d like to set up an audio track that is sent to two other audio tracks so I can put filters on each and have a parallel filter set up whilst keeping the main track available to modify other parameters like pitch etc.

I feel like this is only possible using cue output and rerouting into two thru tracks, muting the original audio channel, setting cue on and then routing cue out into cue in on the OT and having two thru tracks that take the cue in audio and apply different filters to the sound.

But is this possible using recorders and flex tracks internally too? My thinking is have the main channel recording to a recording buffer and then two other tracks playing from that buffer applying different filters. But then the main channel audio would still be audible and if it is muted then the audio would be silent for the record buffers as you can’t record pre fader?

Any other ideas?

I’m not sure of this but can you set the original track to output to CUE so that you won’t hear it in the main mix, but a track recorder will still be able to hear it?

2 Likes

I think only by routing cables from cue out to cue in, in which case you might as well just set up two thru tracks and avoid recorders overall!

Don’t. They are Octatrack’s raison d’être.
As said @GurtTractor, send original track to CUE, and use 2 Recorders + Flex tracks.
Better quality, more tweaking possibilities with SRC/Playback page.

If you use CUE outputs, cables and inputs, you add latency and quality loss due to DA/AD conversions. I also noticed a gain loss with Thru tracks vs Recorders + Flex (even with SRC/Playback VOL=+63).

Maybe simpler, saving a track : use the same sample on 2 tracks. Use crossfader/scenes for common pitch and other stuff tweaking. I used that principle on Amen Break, on 3 tracks, different filters in order to have kick, snare, cymbals separately, and add different comb filters settings.

"Playing" the comb filter using a custom LFO? - #5 by sezare56

1 Like

I don’t have my OT in front of me but iirc you can’t set cue as a source for recorders unless you physcially wire cue out to cue in on the back?

TLDR all I’m trying to achieve is the below

T1 - audio sample playing but no audio output to main (to avoid phase issues)
T2 - T1 audio mirrored live with low pass filter
T3 - T1 audio mirrored live with hi pass filter

I get what you are saying about flex tracks having way more control and you are totally right and I love using them, but I can’t seem to think a way of doing the above without physically going out and in the box allowing me to get the audio from track 1 without it coming through the main out

You can, SRC3 can be T1-8, MAIN, CUE.

I use it regularly, not to say systematically as fx send with feedback…

Using physical outputs and Thru tracks is simpler, but quality loss, latency, less possibilities.

2 Likes

So simply sending T1 to cue and setting recorders to CUE as input will route cue out to cue in inside the OT no cables needed?? :open_mouth:

Yes. Saving outputs, inputs, time and money too. :content:

2 Likes

I can’t wait to try this, this opens up so many possibilities! Thanks everyone!

2 Likes

You can also use a cue send into a replacing pickup track to create a potentially very long and experimental delay.

1 Like

Just tried, so it works as expected, but I forgot that you have to add +1 microtiming for Flex trigs (or -1 microtiming for rec trigs). Otherwise you have to wait for a loop cycle.
This adds latency, around 5ms at 120 bpm.

You can use only 1 recorder and 2 Flexs playing the same recording.

T1 OG track
T2 recording CUE (or T1), -1 microtiming.
T2 Flex playing Recording2
T3 Flex playing Recording2

Or

T1 OG track
T1 recording CUE (or T1), -1 microtiming.
T2 Flex playing Recording1
T3 Flex playing Recording1

Once set T2, you can copy/paste it to T3, eventually to T4 if you want 3 bands.

2 Likes