Panning Sounds is Possible in AR?

Hi, I’m thinking about buying AR and have a question. AR is mono only, but there is a ‘pan’ parameter under ‘Amp’. So it is possible to pan sounds left and right in AR? I’ve watched a few YouTube videos and haven’t noticed anyone taking advantage of this. Just thought I’d check. Thanks.

Samples are mono, the output is stereo. Each track can be panned however you want it.

2 Likes

Many thanks for clarifying that Corey.

2 Likes

Further clarification

Each of the 8 voices (12 tracks) are mono up until they are mixed to stereo by the Pan setting for each track. Thereafter the architecture is all stereo, stereo analog distortion/compressor/external-input and stereo digital FX return (nice diagram on p6 of pdf manual)

But if you are using OverBridge to capture voices those are pre-pan and mono (as are the analog individual outputs)

ps: pan is a modulation destination and can also be parameter locked on the seq

1 Like

Hi,

I would like to add that the Rytm has audio rate LFO’s, so you can modulate panning at audio rate - which can create really weird stereo effects for sounds on master out.

K

1 Like

Thanks avantronica. I was a bit puzzled when I read in the FAQ section for AR that the reverb has a ‘wide stereo image and extended decay time’. You’ve explained why. Thanks, useful information.

2 Likes

Thanks ZaBong, I didn’t realize that. A good tip.

1 Like

Unfortunately, the panning at audio rate must be tuned to fit to the underlying sound. As long as Elektronauts do not give us key follow for the LFO rate, this is either very inconvenient - as every note has to be tuned - or more applicable to single note drones and FX.

I did try to use it yesterday on a melodic line and the result was… blargh!

K

Oh ? Are your sure about this ?
I have the impression I was recording each voice in stereo in Ableton… I’d say 90% sure of this.
And I would think the separate recording of the voices is panned as well… But I might be wrong, as T. Yorke says…

I don’t use it so not 100% but i would be astonished if the track capture was stereo, it would be a waste of precious bandwidth

All you lose is sequencer automation of pan which you can do in a DAW

I can’t really try, but the maths say 8mono16 or 6mono24 :wink:

1 Like

You are right. It is sent as mono via OB. Both channels come through but they are the same. L/R channels are the same.

2 Likes

No panning with OB is a bummer. But it’s cool. I just need to separate my hats to different tracks and pan them in a Ableton