Oxi One Hardware Sequencer

Glad it’s sorted! So cool you can affect individual lanes of a Multitrack with random conditions but it can be confusing at first haha. That vid sounded great by the way.

2 Likes

Yeah it got me a couple hours to wrap my head around the arranger. Definitely could use more than 2.5 pages dedicated to it.

1 Like

Trying to determine if this would be a good choice for me to bring some generative aspects to my Akai Force. I’d sync it to the Force and expand my Force’s sequencing capabilities, recording the outputs into the Force. Would you have any concerns about using it this way that I possibly am not thinking of?

Also, is it currently in stock? couldn’t be 100% sure on the website.

1 Like

Not that I can think of either.

Orders up to the 10th of May shipped this week. I’m positive there may be some units from the 2nd batch available.

1 Like

Oh no, the manual is definitely improvable, but that’s due to resource limitations. You don’t wake up any day knowing how to properly write a good manual :slight_smile:
It does not correlate with the user experience of course.

Regarding the polyphonic limitations: (if I understood this part correctly, I don’t know what ‘proper polyphony’ refers to exactly, so correct me if I’m wrong)
There’s only one event per step, that’s true, but that includes microtiming (±40 values from the step duration) and retrigger (up to 5 per step). I haven’t tested such smooth polyphonic recording not being Ableton. Sure I haven’t tried all the gear out there, but it captures all the nuances and time “errors” very very well. I know first hand it was a very challenging aspect of the development to have a 1:1 polyphonic recording done right. Also, when using cv outs, all the polyphonic voices are relocated between the amount of outputs so no voice goes missing, in a round robin fashion. The limiting aspect of having one event per step is recording very fast trills, as some notes can go missing if the transport is too slow.

It is of course. OXI has bluetooth MIDI, meaning you can use them together without cables, but I have to say (and this is iPad’s bluetooth managing to blame) that it’s not as consistent as using Bluetooth with a computer. For casual jamming is totally fine, just more pro use you’d need the WIDI dongles for example, they work really well together. Oh well, just wired of course. It’s USB C in both ends (Pro line), and OXI battery last a good amount of hours (iPad would be charging it too).

I know USB MIDI host is on the works as well, meaning you could plug and power MIDI devices using the internal battery, like a Midihub for example, or any USB powered synth. I hope it ends up seeing the light!

(Moving the discussion where it belongs.)

2 Likes

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question in such detail, well appreciated!

1 Like

Excellent! Placed my order. Thank you

Following up on this. I’m curious if a) there’s anything you miss from the Vector and b) whether the ability to modulate the sequence goes as deep in the Oxi as it does in the Vector–start and stop, step mute and skip, sequence rate and ratio, etc., all in real time, all playable or modulatable.

There’s a high risk of not liking the crappy Force sequencer anymore because the OXI is way more hands-on for live performance and makes sequences more organic with all the modulation options. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

what’s a good clip that shows this in action?

1 Like

Something’s gotta record the audio and hold the samples lol. I also plan to record the OXI midi into the Force midi. A bit convoluted, sure, but I’ve done it with a Pyramid before. This seems a lot easier to sequence on than the pyramid now.

I also plan to use the Oxi with an OT as well. All I’ll really be sequencing is my IPad and Force instruments.

1 Like

I’m very happy with my choice to move to Oxi instead of Vector. It’s true that Oxi doesn’t have the Vector’s deep sequence modulation abilities but that’s more than made up for by Oxi’s excellent interface and quick workflow. I found it annoying to program sequences on Vector with knobs & button combos & menus, whereas it’s so easy to enter note and modulation sequences on Oxi.

6 Likes

Got my Oxi One sequencing an LXR-02, 01/IV and Virus today. Once I finally get round to working with modulation I’m going to have my hands full!

1 Like

Agree with this sentiment.

And I think the actual creative posibilities available with the Oxi far exceed that of the Vector, even when paired with Eurorack. I mean you have 8 CV and 8 gate right off the bat!

3 Likes

Hi there! I received mine yesterday.

Anyone know if its possible to use 1 sequencer in multitrack mode, and let each track in this mode be routed to another midi channel? The manual suggests that its possible, but how to select the midichannels? in the main setting for that specific sequencer mode there is only 1 channel you can select?

If your multi is on sequencer #1, for example, you would hold the ‘1’ button and the first pad of any row on the grid.

1 Like

Shoutout to Manuel and Carlos. There aren’t many companies that will check on your order on a Saturday. Always nice when your money is going to a company that really deserves it, both due to a great product and exceptional service.

2 Likes

wait so select multitrack mode on e.g. seq 1, and then hold the first grid button on a row, and then select the midi channel for that row with an encoder?

If you hold down, for e.g. seq 1 button AND the first button on any row, you will see a new menu on screen for just that specific track… this behavior is only true for multitrack seqs obv.

4 Likes