Oxi One Hardware Sequencer

That’s exclusively what I use it for.

I find Scaler 2 and other software-based chord progression tools fiddly and lacking immediacy. I love hardware tools for coming up with chord progressions, drum loops and melodic patterns. It’s a luxury, but if you have the spare cash it’s worth it for the feeling of connectedness with the music.

6 Likes

I agree. I own both Scaler2 and the Oxi. Oxi is definitely lacking some things, but its much easier to comprehend than Scaler2 and easier for me to integrate multiple hardware devices into the same key/chord. Another big issue with Scaler 2 is that it has been causing my DAW to crash under certain conditions (I use Reaper).

What would really be a killer feature for Oxi is if you could have a clipboard or small space on the grid that stores a predefined set of chords (even just 4 or 5) that you can pick from the keyboard or play into the device. Sometimes I have the perfect chord progression but i struggle to remember the exact type of chord and inversion, etc, after I come out of the Oxi’s chord keyboard (which is awesome by the way).

Pick and place is a great feature but I think a chord ‘scratchpad’ or ‘clipboard’ would really take this a lot closer to the fundamental stuff that Scaler2 does well.

2 Likes

This is also why I love the Isla Instruments KordBot, as you can copy and paste chords onto the pads for easy recall. Putting together a chord progression onto physical pads is awesome.

Definitely. I considered buying a KordBot for a while. After seeing all that has already been achieved with Oxi, I bet something like this would be feasible. But I will be patient :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have a chance to trade my Oxi one plus some dollars for the Hapax next week. Realistically I would keep both for a while but I think that might be more trouble than it’s worth creativity wise. Does anybody have some thoughts and input on this? Pros and Cons so to speak.

I’ve enjoyed the Oxi Chord mode and Harmonizer but found some of the sequencing modes a bit tricky to grasp. I’m not too interested in the arranger and song building stuff. Pretty happy to make interesting loops sending midi data out through my midihub while I route and dial in pedal FX.

1 Like

Firmware 3.5 is out.

• A POLY sequencer can now act as HARMONIZER Master: it works both taking into account the sequencer notes and listening to the input notes from the built-in keyboard or external MIDI sources

• New Multitrack Keyboard layout

• Improved Logic/trigger conditions and New Fill and !Fill conditions

• LFO parameters cross modulation: LFO’s Rate, Amount and Wave can now be modulated with other LFO, MOD lane or external CV.

• LFO note restart and phase settings

• Other improvements and community requests

• Furthermore, the app has been upgraded and it will automatically update your OXI One for you getting the latest version from the server.

12 Likes

Does anyone else have issues changing the patterns on the Digis one bar too late? The manual says the PC messages are sent 2 clicks before pattern load, but my Digitone is still changing the pattern one bar too late

Are you using different pattern lengths/multipliers per track? If so, that fux everything up with external PC messages, it seems.

Yeah, I have different pattern lengths on different sequencers. So it’s a bug then?

Yeah, that even fails sometimes if you just combine 2 Elektron boxes and use different scales or pattern length :frowning:

I set myself the challenge of building a track with just the Oxi and the Digitone, and while it was a bit harder than I anticipated it was definitely worth it. I learned a ton of stuff on the Oxi and even “discovered” a feature I had never used on the Digitone, which is the multimap.
I think these two make a really fun and powerful combo, they complement each other perfectly!

15 Likes

Would love to hear more about your process, and what you did with each sequencer. Was multimap used for the drum parts?

1 Like

Yeah, it was. All drum parts are using multimap, so I could use 4 other sounds for melodic duties.

The setup basically was:

• track/sequencer 1: mono sequencer on the Oxi, sh01-ish pluck sound
  • track/sequencer 2: mono sequencer, bass sound
  • track/sequencer 4: multitrack sequencer, triggering multimap drums as well as the pad sound on track 4 of the Digitone

Track 3 is the more dynamic one, I had to use it for different purposes throughout the song. It starts as a mono sequencer triggering a sort of tabla sound, then the 2nd pattern is also a mono sequencer but it changes the pattern on the Digitone to get a lead sound, and finally it changes to a chord sequencer and also to a different pattern on the digitone for a different sound.
On some tracks I used the LFOs and MOD lane to change the sound, as well as some randomization on sequencer #1.

5 Likes

So everything was sequenced on the Oxi One? I did notice that transport had started on the DN.

Yep, everything is sequenced in the Oxi, the Digitone is being used just as a sound module.

2 Likes

I’m sure its an awesome device.

however, I don’t play that much anymore with larger dawless setups, mostly hybrid (with laptop as centerpiece), I have little time, and the oxi is just too complicated with too many button combo’s to remember.

I’m thinking of selling it.

talk me out of it? or agree given the above?

New track with the Oxi, this time sharing sequencing duties with the Deluge:

3 Likes

As I’m painfully aware in my own life, it’s not about the gear, it’s about the time.

1. Can you devote enough time to the OXI in the near future?
  2. Could you realistically put the OXI aside and schedule more time to it in the mid-term?

Keeping a cadence of stuff that works and slowly adjusting process to add one thing here and there after non-recorded experimentation is key for me.

2 Likes

It’s a time saver for me, I let the Oxi One come up with funky-ass bass lines that would take me ages to write. :smiley:

5 Likes