Oxi Instruments E16 MIDI-Controller

Got the E16 a few weeks ago and I’ve come to love using it with Digitone 2.

Here’s a bit about my process and workflow.

You can map it using the Digitone 2 Instrument Definition which is very helpful but it’s not needed for just mapping to mod wheel and aftertouch. I’ve mapped knobs 1-14 to each Digitone tracks’ mod wheel macro which means you get 4 Digitone parameters per knob. The after touch macro is another 4 parameters and with the E16’s two destinations per knob you can change 8 Digitone parameters with a single knob mapped to MW and AT. So this is much easier than having to map many different parameters directly for each pattern/song and when set up like this the template will work with any Digitone pattern.

I will make it part of my sound design process to assign the MW macro to interesting parameters of a sound. I’m using knob 16 for the snapshot function which I want on every page – It’s a great for changing the timbre of many tracks simultaneously on the DN or for just resetting all knob positions.

Additionally you have a third destination which is the Push destination (press knob), and I find it very useful to set a default value for, say delay time so I can easily return to a synchronized time value. Push also has a hold function (Press & Release) so you press and hold the knob to send a value and release it to send another value i.e. 127 = on and 0 = off. Toggle is a third option.

I’d wish Elektron would allow the pages in the setup menu to be remembered. When setting up MW and AT macros you have to continually navigate to these pages and every time you leave and come back to the Setup menu, you’re on the top of the menu list and you have to scroll down and enter the page again. When Elektron added the “Remember Sub Page” feature for DN 1 I thought this is what they meant. Sadly not, so it gets unnecessarily tedious.

One thing to be wary of: If the machine you’re controlling (e.g. Digitone 2) is receiving sync from another machine (e.g. Octatrack), the clock signal needs to pass through the E16 and when you’re sending a lot of cc messages like using the snapshot morph knob, this will make the receiving unit slow down a little. So over a number of snapshot morph turns I found that my Digitone 2 was getting out of sync. My workaround was simply to make Digitone 2 the master which solved the problem. However, not everyone may be willing to do that.

A bit of ranting: I was annoyed to find a USB C to USB A cable in the box :roll_eyes: Now I have to order a USB C to C cable. Strange decision for a new product in 2025 when USB C has been the standard for years.

But as you can tell I’m happy with it and find it a great companion to Digitone 2.

I made a video with the E16 and Digitone 2

6 Likes