Overwitch, a JACK client for Overbridge devices, AKA Overbridge for Linux

How did you install Overwitch?

Good question, ot sure i can remember that, it’s been a while.

Either from github or from AUR if it’s in the repo.

overwitch-dump was added just a few days ago. You should clone the latest master branch in the git repository and compile it yourself or wait until the AUR package is updated.

2 Likes

Now it’s possible to select which tracks you wanna dump like this.

$ overwitch-dump -l -v
DEBUG:overwitch.c:172:(ow_get_devices): Bus 001 Device 034: ID 1935:000c Digitakt
0: Bus 001 Device 034: ID 1935:000c Digitakt
  Inputs:
    Main L Input
    Main R Input
  Outputs:
    Main L
    Main R
    Track 1
    Track 2
    Track 3
    Track 4
    Track 5
    Track 6
    Track 7
    Track 8
    Input L
    Input R
$ overwitch-dump -n 0 -v -m 001111111100
DEBUG:overwitch.c:172:(ow_get_devices): Bus 001 Device 034: ID 1935:000c Digitakt
Device: Digitakt (outputs: 12, inputs: 2)
DEBUG:main-dump.c:218:(run_dump): Creating sample (8 channels)...
DEBUG:engine.c:930:(ow_engine_activate): Starting audio and o2p MIDI thread...
0 frames written
65520 frames written
131040 frames written
131040 frames written
196560 frames written
[...]

As you can see, based on the device description, here we’re recording the 8 tracks of a Digitakt.

2 Likes

Hi, I’m a noob with a new Syntakt. I am running Ubuntu with low-latency kernel and Pipewire, and Bitwig. I read the Overwitch installation instructions but I’m not sure they are valid when Pipewire is being used. I’m an long-term Linux user but this is more technical than what I’m used to. Honestly, I’m a bit lost. :grimacing: And I guess I can forget about running Overbridge as a vst?

If Pipewire is an option, has anyone documented step by step installation instructions?

I’m currently on Debian stable, which is becoming a little out of date at the moment. Haven’t tried with PipeWire yet but I’ll try to install it during the weekend.

However, there is no special requirements AFAIK as the binary API (ABI) is fully compatible with JACK and people have reported Overwitch to work with PipeWire. Take a look to this issue for more information and we can try to solve your issue there. You don’t mention if you’re having compilation or running issues so, please, post the details there. If you managed to successfully compile it, run it with -vv to have a verbose output.

In the meantime, have you installed pipewire-jack? Are you successfully running other JACK plugins? I guess so because you’re using JACK already, still I just wanted to be sure.

Just one more thing. Syntakt support is still on the works. Take a look at this other issue if you want to help. By the way, do you know for sure how many inputs and outputs the Syntakt has?

1 Like

Thank you very much. I’ll review the two issues you have linked and then proceed with the installation instructions.

I didn’t even start. I have a well functioning system and I didn’t dare to touch it before asking here. :slight_smile:

Yes, I have Bitwig configured to use JACK and everything is working well there.

Not at all. I got the Syntakt just yesterday and I was already happy with the progress integrating it with Bitwig at main out audio level and MIDI channels. Also, I’m new to Elektron devices, so I am still figuring out the very basics about of this lovely little machine works. :slight_smile:

I’ll check all this with more time tonight.

1 Like

Enough progress (for me) today:

2 Likes

Hello ! I’m trying to install to wonderful tool on my brand new Zorin install (I’m a Linux newbie, just switched from Windows).

Everything works well until I do “make”. Then I get this error :

main.c: In function ‘save_file_char’:
main.c:245:15: error: ‘errno’ undeclared (first use in this function)
245 | return -errno;

And, later in the terminal window, this one :

main.c:259:14: error: ‘EIO’ undeclared (first use in this function)
259 | res = -EIO;
| ^~~

Does anyone have an idea of what I should do?

Thanks a lot!

That’s weird.

Try adding this on top an run make again.

#include <errno.h>

However, it’s best if I remove th references to errno and such. I’ll take a deeper look later.

Thanks a lot for the lightning-fast answer !

I included errno.h, now the error is gone but I get this one instead :

engine.c: In function ‘ow_engine_init_from_libusb_device_descriptor’:
engine.c:621:32: error: ‘LIBUSB_OPTION_WEAK_AUTHORITY’ undeclared (first use in this function)
621 | if (libusb_set_option (NULL, LIBUSB_OPTION_WEAK_AUTHORITY, NULL) !=
| ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
engine.c:621:32: note: each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it appears in

1 Like

I’m trying to get overwitch going with my brand new digitakt on debian/buster. If I run overwitch -l I don’t see the digitakt listed. Here’s the output of lsusb (I suspect the digitakt to be 1935:000d):

Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 009: ID 1511:0043  
Bus 001 Device 006: ID 05ac:024f Apple, Inc. 
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0bda:0153 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. 3-in-1 (SD/SDHC/SDXC) Card Reader
Bus 001 Device 011: ID 093a:2510 Pixart Imaging, Inc. Optical Mouse
Bus 001 Device 007: ID 05e3:0608 Genesys Logic, Inc. Hub
Bus 001 Device 013: ID 0a5c:2153 Broadcom Corp. 
Bus 001 Device 010: ID 0a5c:4503 Broadcom Corp. Mouse (Boot Interface Subclass)
Bus 001 Device 008: ID 0a5c:4502 Broadcom Corp. Keyboard (Boot Interface Subclass)
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0a5c:4500 Broadcom Corp. BCM2046B1 USB 2.0 Hub (part of BCM2046 Bluetooth)
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 05e3:0608 Genesys Logic, Inc. Hub
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 04ca:3015 Lite-On Technology Corp. 
Bus 001 Device 014: ID 1935:000d  
Bus 001 Device 012: ID 0a92:10c2 EGO SYStems, Inc. 
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Any ideas?

Have you run sudo make install in the udev directory?

Yes, that’s the Elektron vendor ID and the digitakt device ID.

This is the right USB device in Overbridge mode.

$ lsusb | grep Elektron
Bus 001 Device 011: ID 1935:000c Elektron Music Machines Digitakt Overbridge

This is in USB MIDI mode.

$ lsusb | grep 1935
Bus 001 Device 013: ID 1935:000d Elektron Music Machines Elektron Digitakt

This is in audio/MIDI mode.

$ lsusb | grep 1935
Bus 001 Device 014: ID 1935:102c Elektron Music Machines Digitakt Audio/MIDI

You need to activate the Overbridge mode. It’s in settings, System, USB config.

1 Like

Thanks for the swift reply!

Yeah, I have run that now. The digitakt shows up as a MIDI device now:

$ lsusb | grep 1935
Bus 001 Device 015: ID 1935:000d Elektron Music Machines Digitakt MIDI

That’s it. Thanks so much, and sorry for being stupid + new. Off to testing if there’s actual sound!!!

Happy to help!

If you don’t mind, could you share your thoughts on this once tested?

It works just great! Well just short test, adjusting the offset in sync in reaper for things to line up!

I’ll report back in more depth when I actually figure out how to make music with the digitakt + made the first recording.

Or is there anything in particular you’d like to know?

1 Like

Happy to hear that!

Today I’ve just pushed some changes that I’ve not tested as much as I wanted so I was just asking. But I’d like a more in depth review once you managed to record something.

I guess you’re using the new GUI and JACK (not PipeWire as you are on buster, which is quite old already).

Enjoy your new Digitakt!

1 Like