Overwitch, a JACK client for Overbridge devices, AKA Overbridge for Linux

You should hear the isolated tracks on their dedicated channels.

Can you try with a completely new project?

1 Like

Ok, I’ll try later.

To be clear, the “regular” tracks are already isolated in their respective channels, and they are received by the DAW in different tracks. It’s the MIDI track the only one that isn’t sending the audio to its channel (although the audio from this track makes it to the general Main).

I still can record the synth audio by playing the MIDI track, muting the rest, and recording the audio from Main, but it is of course a pain.

There is no audio coming from a MIDI track of course, MIDI tracks are only… well MIDI.

There should be dedicated channels for the external inputs of the Syntakt available in overbridge/overwitch, if you connected your synth to the inputs.

1 Like

I misunderstood the original question. If you can hear your external synth via the main output then I’m assuming you have it connected to the input of the Syntakt - if that is the case then you have use the two “Input” ports in Jack/PipeWire to monitor your external synth.

1 Like

Sorry for the silence, busy days.

@rtme @frekvencia yes, of course you are right and now that I understand the problem I can only say “doh”. Thank you, problem solved! The synth is connected to InputL, I set that input in the DAW, and of course it works.

I think this is my last question before considering my Overwitch setup complete (and again I’m not sure whether this is an Overwitch question or something more generic, sorry!):

The volume of the audio coming from the Syntakt seems rather low for all tracks:

• Track 1 (kick) doesn’t go above -23.7 dB
  • Track 2 (snare) -24.7 dB
  • Track 3 (clap) -24.3 dB
  • … and so on

I’m not sure this is a concern or something that the user can change (other than pumping up the volume in the DAW and speakers, of course). I cannot find any way to send a higher volume signal by tweaking knobs in the Syntakt.

Ah, the “Overbridge is not loud enough” topic :wink:

There has been a lot of discussion on this already: Overbridge much too quiet? (nope: just plenty of headroom) - #2 by redrabbit

In short: The outputs are 24 bit so you can safely boost each track in your DAW to -12db or so for further mixing. The outputs are deliberately so low so in case of filter / distortion peaks there will be absolutely no (unintended) clipping.

1 Like

:joy:

Ok ok, thank you Overwitch users and devs for your patience with me and my non-Overwitch-specific questions. I love this piece of software and I think now I’m all set!

1 Like

Hi!

thanks for the work you are putting in making Overbridge available to linux users!

I am not sure if my question is in the right place, but here it goes. How does one sync an Overbridge device and computer? I have a digitakt connected to my laptop via USB, and when I switch it to the Overbridge mode, it simply disappears from the list of devices in the Bitwig sync settings page. Are my only hopes of getting sync with the digitakt in OB mode is to send clock and transpont to a different device and then to the Digitakt via midi cable? is this how it is supposed to work?

1 Like

Welcome to Elektronauts, personnealienee.

Yeah, my preferred way is user, configuration and usability questions here; while technical issues and improvements in GitHub.

To make it work with Bitwig you’ll need to run Bitwig using JACK as the audio server (audio engine). I know it’s possible but don’t know how to accomplish this.

Or are you already doing this and the MIDI ports are not working? Did you manage to record or monitor audio from the audio tracks?

I am running Jack, yes, and Bitwig uses Jack as audio engine.
Overwitch works perfectly fine and I can hear and record each of the eight tracks. But I cannot sync Bitwig and Digitakt

Have you set up the Digitakt to receive MIDI clock and transport? Probably you have but…

Are you able to play the 8 sampler tracks via MIDI?

When the Digitakt is not in the Overbridge mode, I can send midi to it and it plays (and I can send clock and transport). But as as soon as I switch on the Overbridge mode in Digitakt’s settings, I do not see it as a midi device in Bitwig, and can’t send clock/transport.

I understand now. Sorry.

MIDI should be shown as JACK MIDI ports and not ALSA MIDI ports. There is an open issue to allow users to choose between these two options. But it should work.

This is my setup.
I have no JACK MIDI driver (no seq, no raw).
I run a2jmidid to redirect ALSA MIDI ports to JACK MIDI ones.
This is a picture of my connections.

In this case I’m running Calf with a monosynth plugin. As you can see in the top corner right, the MIDI ports in Calf are inside the plugin. What I want to know is if you can run other JACK plugins and see their MIDI ports. So, could you try to run Calf to check if you can see the ports? Can you run JACK from QjackCtl and share your connections graph here?

here is my graph when Overbridge on Digitakt is not enabled

and here is one when Overbridge on Digitakt is enabled and Overwitch is running

brown are Jack MIDI ports, green ALSA MIDI

(btw, note that in both pictures another hw synth I have, Analog Four, does not have any jack ports, but it receives clock and transport from bitwig)

Looks like those JACK MIDI ports are isolated and unreachable from the rest of the devices.

If you run a2jmidid, we should see the ALSA ports as JACK ports and we should be able to connect the Analog Four to the Digitakt. Could you try this? Not the best idea but should work.

Anyhow, I’ll give it a thought to implementing MIDI ALSA ports in Overwitch.

1 Like

This thread is quite useful to understand what’s going on, although you probably have seen it already.

They advice against using a2jmidid as it will “steal” the ALSA ports and make MIDI unusable by Bitwig. Or so I understood.

I think this should work.

The idea is to create a virtual MIDI device and, by using aj2midid, redirect the MIDI sent to this virtual device to other JACK MIDI applications.

Does this actually work for you?

wow, that’s glorious, it does actually work! thank you!

Bitwig can send sync to one of those virtual midi ports while Digitakt is in overbridge mode, and you can connect it with a JACK patch to Digitakt’s midi in.

1 Like

can someone please build it for fedora and put it to copr repo???