OverHub with IConnectivityAUDIO4+ and LaunchPad MINI

Hello NAUTERS.

As the topic suggest I have all 3 of these pieces and getting them to work together has been tricky.
Can anyone who is an EXPERT (hah) here with exact knowledge of the solution, please assist.

I am using an iPad Pro. Tested with latest iOS 12 and 12.1.

I have the OverHub and need the launchpad mini to function properly. However, when the chain of … AUDIO 4+ with host lightening cable connecting the A4+ to the IPP and then the OH connected into the A4+, the LaunchPad MINI lights up however its native launchpad software doesn’t see it all all.

Can someone assist me please.

Thanks.

IPP->Lightning-USB->OH->A4+,LPm?

Lights indicate LPm is receiving power from OH, though pretty sure Novation never intended their product would be recognized ( or work ) through the software/hardware interface of another companies product(A4+).

In short, try connecting Hub(OH)to computing device (IPP) and other devices(A4+,LaunchPadMINI) to the hub(OH), rather than one device in between computing device and hub.

1 Like

Thank you SCG, I did attempt that solution. The LPm works with its native app going through the OH > IPP directly. Any other way its unresponsive. (Cubasis also sees the LPm as a control source through the OH when inline directly to the IPP.)

Does anyone think my OverHub could be semi defective? Is there a test I could do…?

Or anyone in the LA area down with it. Btw my AR MKII works pretty good through the OH but… I have more testing to do before I give it a thumbs up.

Thanks for responding by the way,

D

For what its worth, I was never able to get my launchpad to work through any of iConnectmidi’s products (original unit, iCm 4+, iCaudio). I tried everything I could think of to troubleshoot. I’m not inclined to blame the Overhub in this situation.

As soon as I plug the Launchpad directly into the computer it works fine (though I have had problems using USB cables longer than 10’).

1 Like

The iConnect USB ports are strictly midi. If the Launchpad needs more than class compliant midi to communicate with the ipad that will not work.

I have a launch control xl, which needed the class compliant drivers to function on my iconnectaudio4+. However, launchpad mini is class compliant according to the novation site.

Have you tried both types of management software for the iCA4+? It does usually work with usb hubs, but you may have to select the usb device (in the older software, which name i forget). Also overhub is usb 3, I think the iCA4+ is only usb 2, try using a usb2 cable and see if that makes a difference, usually devices will detect the cable connections and run in that mode.

Otherwise it may be that the way the overhub works does not work with iCA4+. try a cheap hub and see if you get any love that way.

I’ll try using my OH with the host port when I get home, if I remember.

Hi,
I have the ICA4+ too and it work like a charm with IPAD air2, and an Evolution UC33e and the OT.
I follow this tutos from Late night tips.
Don’t forget to disable all the midi map in the ICA4+ software and map only what you need to avoid MIDI loops than freez the OT.

Its a little confusing at beginning but once you have found your setup its awsome :wink:

Ok…thank you everyone for the responses.

My setup is

iPad Pro 12.9
ICA4+
OVERHUB -----> Analog Rytm MKII, AKAI MPK225, AKAI MAX49, Waldorf Blofeld, Beh. Model D, Jomox XBASE 999, Mother32, Oberheim Xpander.

On the second USB port on the ICA4+ I have an iPhone X with an additional soft synth I like.

Ive taken the Launchpad MINI out of the loop for now as it doesn’t work via the OH.

I use a series of USB host and DIN with the interface.

ISSUES:

The odd part is the ICA4+ after it is turned off… will see all of the gear (in the single host port on the ICA4+ (HST1-7) in different order, that is of all the gear plugged into the OVERHUB.

Yes, one day my drum machine is HST4 and after I power on and off the interface, it can be on a different HST #.

Sometimes the ARMKII will lock up with a lot of midi traffic.

MY OH is about 6 months old… do they go bad? Haha

#3 on the OH I cant use the MAX49 and the MPK225 at the same time for some reason.
The MAX49 is unrecognized by the anything when used at the same time (USB not DIN) on the OH.

I want to make music soon. Sheesh this is crazy.

Thanks for your support, I would be nowhere so far.

D-

I finally got the ICA4+ to recognize the OH. But in my reply below I found more issues after I got there. Dammit.

I reached out to the SR. Tech and Iconectivity and he informed me IC has no more plans to support iOS devices as a DAW connected to the ICA4+. He said the company is 100% focused on OSX/WINOS with its new control software.

Me: talk about one big international case of false advertising IC… because I only use an iPAD with Cubasis 2 or ModStep. (FUKTARDS)

So this is where I have arrived.

/still wanting to make music

Thanks.

(Did you remember lol?)

For #1
I use the ICM4+ and the iconfig software to program it, for that you go to the midi info tab and there’s a “reserve” field where you can select a connected device for each of the 8 USB host ports and it will remain on that port from then on. I can’t remember if you have to save the config after that or other details, my unit has been in storage for a long time…

1 Like

Mike thank you very much for this, the iConfig, do you use the iOS or the desktop version?

I have an iPad only the iPad Pro and no matter if I use my iPhone ( iConfig ) or my iPad ( iConfig audio ) and attempt to connect 90% of the time it says ‘device not found’.

I reported this to their technical support however there head of technical support wrote me back in said that there’s inherent defect in the app and they have no plans in the immediate future to fix it as it’s been going on for over year .

I wish there was another iOS audio midi interface which allowed me to route my iOS virtual instruments back into the daw via the lightning connector.

I’m finally bonding with my AR MKII sitting there next to the Jomax xBase 999 I have a pretty powerful drum section now.

I need to update the AR and learn how to use the bass synthesizer.

Any information you have I’m so grateful for you share thank you so much.

D

I usually use the desktop version but the IPad version works for me too, however I’m running an original iPad Air and left it on iOS 8 as it works great for me. I’m imagining your issue has to do with later hardware or iOS version.

I thought I read that in later iOS/Mac OS versions you can route iPad audio and midi directly to a Mac over the lightning cable? I might be wrong about that though, I’m also still running Mavericks from 2014… Are you on Mac or PC? If Mac I’d look into that, I think iPad just appears in audio midi setup…

Hey, I use iOS exclusively.

Is there another interface like this on the market from another company?

Sheesh!

I thought you were just on iOS but this threw me off. So your using ICA to bounce audio from IPad back at iPad? Seems like there might be software for this but I don’t know, don’t know about other interfaces that would do that either, haven’t looked for years. Hopefully someone will chime in or I’d just consult the oracle of Google…