Overhub plus alternative MTT USB hubs

Let me get this straight: Overbridge over Overhub doesn’t work properly when plugged into a USB3 port? Is this for everyone, or is this just a few people with maybe old USB3 ports/drivers? I thought the whole purpose of OH was that you could plug into a USB2 or USB3 port and have it deliver maximum bandwidth for OB.

not that I’m affected or in ownership of overhub, but wouldn’t it be much simpler to use a usb2 cable at the back instead of the ‘extended’ usb3 one [/quote]
Yes, that’s a great suggestion. I always forget that you can also just do that with this type of port. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Your previous hub probably allowed your HD to draw a little more power from your Mac than the Overhub does. That’s not unusual.
I’ve tested with an A4 and an AK both delivering 6 channels out, 2 in and a RYTM delivering 8 channels in. I have not tested with any device in the “this might work on some computers but might fail” setting.
By the way, I’d like to point out that my message was written to give general advice that has helped me sort out weird USB 3 issues in the past intended to be helpful for anyone reading the forum. It was never intended to help you personally with your specific setup.

1 Like

Overbridge should work fine using an Overhub plugged into any USB 3 port, and it does for me.

1 Like

Overhub doesn’t work for most people on any USB 3.0 hub. So far you are one of two people reporting it works on your 3.0 ports. Numerous have reported problems. Just to give some perspective.

I have been able to get 10 channels through Overhub on a USB 3.0 port. You say you got 6. Maybe its important to be specific here? I was not able to get any more than 2 in 2 out on a second connected Overbridge device. The main point of using an MTT-hub is being able to connect multiple devices at max channel-count. On most USB 3.0 ports it doesn’t seem to allow you to connect any second Overbridge device with a higher channel-count than 2 in 2 out. On 24bits btw, which is the default setting I believe.

I have not extensively tried this setup, but I saw a report of this 8 + 4 setup giving time-outs and glitches. Is it worth it to test this any further? Not for me, I need a higher channel-count to begin with. Thats just my setup.

Also of interest maybe, which hardware are you using? OSX I believe?

And sorry for red flagging the RTFM, but I might be the elderly gentleman here, it reads like you’re saying “you’re an idiot”, spec when all capped. I’m prob not that far off with that interpretation I’m afraid. Netiquette can be a wonderful thing. And RTFM is NEVER(screaming) helpful. Nor is all caps. So again. Sorry.

Anyways, Overhub, I think Elektron is flooded with tickets by now, no response from support yet but really curious what their response will be.

maybe it has been asked / answered here or in another thread

when I plug my a4 and ar into usb3 ports of my imac 2014 (it has 4 usb 3.0 ports) … it should work with OB?1? but it doesn´t work properly. So would bring here the over hub any help? It´s better to connect the machines directly via free usb ports or is it needed to be pluged into a mtt hub?

What do you mean by not working properly? Where does it not work and in what way? And how do you connect to the 3.0 ports, directly?

Ok, one more time:

[ul]
[li]I’ve tested with an A4, AK, and RYTM connected through Overhub at the same time.[/li]
[li]I’ve tested with various combinations of settings that are inside the “this configuration should work on most systems” range as indicated by the Overbridge Control Panel.[/li]
[li]My preferred setup right now consists of taking 8 inputs at 16 bit from the RYTM, and 6 inputs at 24 bit from the AK (my A4 is for sale).[/li]
[li]I’ve tested on both a late 2013 Retina MBP (MacBookPro11,3) running OS X 10.9.5 and an early 2015 MBA (MacBookAir7,1) running 10.10.5 using the stable release of Overbridge while running the VST in Ableton Live 9 only.[/li]
[/ul]

The only issue I still run in to occasionally is distorted sound when I change the order or the tracks in Live, or when I change settings on the control panel. Turning the Elektron devices off and back on resolves this.

1 Like
  • Retina 2.6 I7 mid 2012 USB 3.0 port, doesn’t work, max 8 out 2 in 16bits on one device, 2 in 2 out on second. Cannot guarantee proper functioning connections, but it seems this is also unstable for the second device. Changes in the control panel cannot be made on the partially connected device, it will always lead to a lack of bandwith error.

• Confirmed, using an older USB micro cable and using only the 2.0 part of the Micro B USB 3.0 port seems without issues. Thats with only the AK and AR attached, both at 8 out 2 in, 16 bits. No other peripherals.

• Confirmed, using a USB 2.0 hub before Overhub seems without issues. Thats with only the AK and AR attached, both at 8 out 2 in, 16 bits. No other peripherals.

• Using a Kanex Thunderbolt to USB 2.0 adapter before Overhub leads to issues, lagging sound and no midi sync. Weird.

It’s a nice workaround, the old Micro-cable, but now I can’t charge my PS4 controller :frowning:

Bit of a trade off…

I’m confused why there are such issues with USB 3. For one, I thought it was backwards compatible, and why didn’t they just go with USB 3 to begin with? It was available before the analog line was released. Does anyone even sell computers with USB 2 anymore?

Using USB 3 instead of USB 2 on a non-host device when you don’t need any of its features is a waste of money. Even manufacturers of high-end gear such as RME still use USB 2 on new products because they don’t need the higher bandwith USB 3 offers.

@ 154, I think your question: What do you mean by not working properly, was directed to me.

I have a macbook pro 13 mid 2012 ( 9,2) which has two usb3 ports. Connecting both AR and A4 one the ports directly allowed me to have 8 channels AR @ 16bit and 6 channels a4 @ 16 bits.

When I connect using overdub, I can get 8 channels AR @ 16 and just two channels a4@16 bits.

I do not want to plug overdub into another hub, to me that just does not make sense, however there was a suggestion earlier in this thread to use a USB 2.0 micro cable. which you can actually stick into overhub directly ( the original cable looks like it is two connectors into one.

That seems to do the trick. I have the amount of channels available I expected.

I do find it hilarious that a USB 3.0 hub is incompatible with USB 3.0…

That was my question indeed. A4 should give you 8 out 2 in btw, Same as AR, when connected to their own USB port or indeed by using an older 2.0 Micro cable.

Avantronica also mentioned that an older 2.0 extension cable should work, which makes sense.

Still pissed at sudden choices life is throwing at me, do I charge my PS4 controller or play with Overbridge through Overhub. I really need to buy a new cable :slight_smile:

But if the machines used USB 3 to begin with, wouldn’t that give them the ability to record all the audio tracks along with effect tracks over USB 3 @ 24 bit given the improved bandwidth? Or is there another imposed limitation for why that’s not possible given the current format?

Pushed it to the limit and yes 8 in 2 out at 16bits for both A4 and AR.

I must admit with FIFA 16 coming up this is a hell of a decision :slight_smile:

I’d strongly advice you to get that second cable. For me it works well browsing through old stuff I bought, it usually contains an un-opened package with some sort of cable… ooh god to much rubbish around my place I guess

If I tell you to rtfm, it’s probably not going to jump out at you and will probably look like I just misspelled a word. If I tell you to RTFM, it will stand out and be more apparent that I’m trying to direct your attention towards something.
Maybe it comes across as harsh as a result, but you’re not going to win this one, I’m afraid, as it’s pretty common netspeak.
and as an aside, 154 is probably my favoreite Wire record. Carry on. :joy:

1 Like

But if the machines used USB 3 to begin with, wouldn’t that give them the ability to record all the audio tracks along with effect tracks over USB 3 @ 24 bit given the improved bandwidth? Or is there another imposed limitation for why that’s not possible given the current format?[/quote]
No, USB 2 allows you to run much more tracks than any of the Elektron boxes offer. It has been stated before, but the Analog boxes are not running the USB 2 bus at full speed because this introduced audible artifacts in the analog circuitry.