Overhub or other hub?

Hello Elektronaughties!

I’m looking for some advice to expand my USB inputs—Yes, I know there are other threads about this topic . . in fact there’s like 5 different ones, which makes it confusing to read through them all . . . so here I am adding to the confusion!

I have a 2015 Macbook Pro, which as only two USB ports, plus two Thunderbolt 2 ports that I’ve never used.*

Up to now I’ve only used traditional instruments and hardware synths, so two USBs was plenty—Audio Interface goes into one, other one goes out to the SSD, and everything else is good, old fashioned audio jacks and 5-pin MIDI.

But I just ordered a Arturia Keylab, so now I need another USB port for the soft synths and to control the DAW to some extent.

Do people recommend the Overhub? Looking around the various gear forums, I’ve heard everything from “It’s great!” to “It’s shite!”

Are there better or cheaper alternatives?

Would this guy do me just fine? I can’t tell if it has Multi TT.

If it helps, here’s my typical setup:

• DAW: REAPER
  • Interface: Focusrite 18i8
  • Main Sampler: Digitakt — I’ve only messed around a little with OB and usually use the audio outs
  • MIDI keyboard: Keylab Essentials 49
  • Various mics/other non-USB instruments plugged into the interface that don’t factor in here.

So I’ve got two ideas:

1. Dedicate USB1 to the interface and get a hub for the SSD, Keylab, and maybe Overbridge.

2. Skip the hub and use USB1 for the interface and USB2 for the Keylab, and just record straight to SD using the MBP’s built-in card reader—no external drive.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Warnings?

It drives me crazy that I’ve got two Thunderbolt2 ports on this machine that I will never use, but that’s Apple all over for you, innit?

Thanks so much!
Duppius Rex

*If you want to know why I bought an older-model MBP, it’s because I can’t stand the new keyboard and port config (only USB-C, no SD reader, etc.). And don’t even get me started on that touchbar nonsense!

A post was merged into an existing topic: Overhub plus alternative MTT USB hubs

Try the search. Please