Overhub not registering as USB 3.0 hub? Only supplying 2.0 (420mb/s) speeds

Overhub is not registering as a USB 3.0 device on my 2017 MBP. Upon checking system report, it is only listed as a USB 2.0 Hub. I’m using the supplied SS cable (also tried a second SS cable I have) and it is functioning properly as a USB 2.0 device but only supplying speeds of 420mb/sec when connecting my external USB 3.0 HD through the hub. When I directly hook the HD up through a direct port, it is supplying the proper 5gb/sec transfer speeds and registering as a USB 3.0 device. Isn’t the overhub supposed to supposed to function as a USB 3.0 hub? Thanks in advance

Also tested HD through a second multi-port device with built in USB 3.0 hub and it is registering as a USB 3.0 device with 5gb speeds through , so it leaves me perplexed why I cannot use the Overhub this way when it is a supposed 3.0 hub.

following this topic because have to update MBP any time soon too and was wondering how overhub works with new usb.

Just a question: new MBP have usb-c ports. How do you connect overhub to the usb-c port? Do you use just an adapator or an usb-hub?

You can use a dongle adapter, but it’s nicer to get an USB-C to 3.1 Micro-B cable to connect the Overhub directly to an USB-C port on your MBP. Something like https://www.apple.com/shop/product/HHST2ZM/B/belkin-usb-c-to-micro-b-cable-usb-31 (it’s what I use and it works great!)

1 Like

Do you try to plug a power supply on the Overhub to see if it’s change something ?zoom

1 Like

Also following, JUST spent half a day having problems even getting my HD recognised by my MBP 2015. Now that you mention it, I checked and my computer also only recognise the HD through The Overhub as a 2.0 usb device. This is real strange indeed!

Edit. I use a powersupply (5v, 1.5A) for the Overhub

Hm strange…

For my MBP 15 2017 it reports both! USB 2.0 Hub and 3.0 Hub.
I’m conecting Overhub with Belkin USB-C to 3.1 Micro-B cable mentioned above.

I believe this is because the USB 3.1 Bus detects a 3.0 USB protocol and then goes down the 2.0 protocol of the Overhub. That’s the only viable interpretation i have (and if this is the case, overhub is all but a scam, tbh!!!). As you can see, I’ve connected my overhub to a standard 3.0 connector.

EDIT: sry about the swedish in the pic lol.
EDIT2: I just opened a ticket with Elektron to see if they have an answer to this

Hm…but if I connect Heat, Rythm and USB 3.0 Flash Drive I get this.

Seems like Elektron gear that is USB 2.0 gets reported as going trough USB 2.0 Hub and my SanDisk Utra USB goes trough USB 3.0

2 Likes

Are all those devices connected through the Overhub?

Yep!

But are you using USB 3.0 cable that came with the Overhub, @Prinzabu?

1 Like

yes!

and the problem still stands, as the Overhub is still only recognised as a 2.0 Hub, when it is advertised as a 3.0 hub?

It‘s both a 2.0 as well as a 3.0 hub. Connect something that does 3.0 using the correct cable, and it will show up as such:

3 Likes

Ah, i see! But if i combine let’s say, my 3.0 HD and one or two Elektron 2.0 devices, will the overhub go all 2.0 (as I believe it does for me), or should it identify them as each of their own speed?

Same here. Overhub connected to my MacBook Pro 2016 with a Micro B to USB-C 3.1 cable.

Not recognized as a 3.0 USB hub…

Did someone find a solution ?

@HotLoveDrama

Does your “Micro B” look like:

#1 -
Main

or
#2 -

Both work with Overhub, but #1 is USB 2.0

2 Likes

Like #2

What happens when you connect a USB 3 device to Overhub?
Does it still show in system profiler as a USB 2 hub?

3 Likes

Seems like it recognizes it as both a USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 at the same time. Looks okay then, thanks!

3 Likes