Overhub 2 – great for a hybrid setup

Just got my Overhub 2 and I thought I’d drop one imho underrated aspect of it for people dealing w/ hybrid rigs.

I always wanted a hybrid setup that:

  • i can simply connect w/ one cable to my macbook and the entire thing starts talking to ableton
  • i can disconnect my laptop at any time and it will continue working
  • zero fucking around with cables when i want to switch states

There were several issues I ran into but the biggest by far for me was that you need a powered usb hub that will continue powering your devices – Midihub, Arturia Minilab etc. – even when disconnected from a laptop. In my experience very few of these fucking things do that. My solution used to be a pretty expensive Caldigit Element TB4 hub but I had to move that to my office.

Happy to report the Overhub II works like a charm for this, what’s more, unlike the Caldigit it doesn’t momentarily turn off usb power to my Midihub etc. when I disconnect power / laptop so peripherals don’t have to reboot. Super nice, thank you to whoever’s responsible for that functionality.

For the money it’s a steal.

6 Likes

This is great, having continuous power during disconnected usb-devices and handshakes is not that common actually. Thanks for the update… the Overdub II just became interesting for me for more than just a overbridge tool :smiley:

3 Likes

I wonder if running the MRCC to the Overhub will introduce any jitter or latency compared to having the Conductive Labs MRCC directly to the computer. Anybody that have the possibility to test or have tested?