Overbridge won’t play in time with other synths?

Hey everyone,

Having some issues getting my Virus and Digitakt to play in sync using Ableton. I’ve tried adjusting every latency setting in the DAW, though the Virus floats around…it’ll start out fine, then suddenly be far behind the beat. To be clear the Digitakt is sequencing the Virus, though audio is split between OB and my Focusrite interface which is tracking the Virus.

Anyone else experience this? Not sure what the buffer is on OB, but it happens at both 512 and 256 settings in Ableton. I’m on a Mac.

Hi, got a few questions that may help clarify the issue.

The Digitakt stays in time, correct? What parts are getting out of sync, the notes themselves, modulations, delays? Is the Digitakt the only thing sending clock to the Virus? What happens when you quantize the MIDI track(s) on the Digitakt, any effect?

1 Like

Thanks! Everything with the Digitakt sounds fine (including the Moog I’m running in to the audio inputs). It’s the notes from the virus that are out of sync. When I turn Ableton on everything is fine, but then it falls behind eventually. Toggling the buffer in Ableton temporarily fixes the issue then it eventually falls behind again.

Clocking = Ableton is clocking the Digitakt via USB then Digitakt in to Virus. I’m not 100% sure I have the Virus clocked correctly, though the issue happens even when I manually set the BPM in the virus to match everything else.

Why not turn off OB plug in sync. Set Digitakt as Master > Digitakt Clock out > Digitakt transport out and obviously enable external sync in Ableton and connect a midi cable between Digitakt and the Virus,

That’s how I do it and 0 problems ever.

I assume you’re running midi out from the focusite to the virus?

1 Like

Thanks! I’ll try this

The thing is, not all audio interfaces have ultra stable midi clocks :frowning: The Elektron stuffs clocks seem fine. If you want an interface with as good as flawless midi you’ll be wanting either a TC Electronic (2nd hand only now) or a MOTU. I know MOTU’s midi is sample accurate across all devices.

I’m sure there are more like Fireface and probably more, just saying the ones I know myself 1st hand.

And to confirm, you know for a fact that you aren’t sending clock to the Virus over USB also? I had a Circuit Mono Station once and it was playing at double speed, and turned out that I had Ableton set to send it clock via USB in addition to my Digitakt.

The only USB connection happening is Digitakt out to my laptop. Digitakt is set to send clock in it’s settings, and I’m running MIDI from DT to Virus. Virus (again I’m pretty sure) is set to auto receive clock, but I’ll need to double check when I get home.

1 Like