Overbridge linux emulator

does anyone manage to run overbridge 2.x on linux Mint? like with help of wine or somehting?

1 Like

My understanding (which is far from satisfactory) is that OB installs some kind of USB drivers into system. I doubt that this could be done without the help of Windows-containing VM in Linux (e.g. without exporting USB via filter into virtual machine - for example install VirtualBox and see its VM USB Settings dialog); VM would add tons of latency. I do not think WINE would be of help. IMBW.

Seldom vendors are willing to support OSs which are mostly source-based; as kernel versions change, often there’s a need to supply source code - albeit in part - and link it to corresponding kernel in the user’s machine (for example nVidia does that). The shame of showing in-house source code (and hence its “quality”) can be a powerful impetus not to support such OSs ever. Sometimes end-users reverse-engineer vendor’s stuff to add support, and silicone flaws become clearly seen; no vendor likes that. Also, hiring cross-platform programmers isn’t cheap.

1 Like

thanks appreciate it. just installed mint few days ago, i have like zero knowledge

I managed to get Overbridge 1.x working OK using Wine and Mint 18.x (or so); no such luck ever since 2.xb on Mint or Manjaro using Wine, and even though a VirtualBox installation of Windows 10 will now install the latest Overbridge beta, it runs with the GUI upside-down and backwards.

3 Likes

If Overbridge relies on custom device drivers, it can’t work under Wine. Windows device drivers cannot work through Wine, because device drivers need to talk directly to the kernel. So a Windows device driver needs to talk to the Windows kernel, and there is no Windows kernel when you’re running Wine on Linux.

1 Like

Try to disable 3d acceleration in the VM settings for a moment to see if it is related to this bug report.

3 Likes

It would be so nice to have at least the protocol specification, so we could develop linux drivers.

There is already a linux project available which can at least capture the audio streams from Overbridge.

5 Likes

Welcome to linux, i would recommend shaving your head to cut down on any initial hair pulling

5 Likes

I checked it with the setup:

• opensuse tumbleweed
  • Digitakt 1.20A
  • VirtualBox 6.1.14 (Win10) + USB3 driver package
  • Overbridge Engine 2.0.41.11

With the result, the device is found by the Overbridge Engine. But the applications: Digitakt and Overbridge Control Panel do not work in terms of the windows are open but stay black. I just deactivated the 3D acceleration, with the same result. An upside down window I can remember with an older setup of the Overbridge package.
The Elektron Transfer tool worked but stops in between downloading with some connection issues.
I would love to backup at least my projects somehow, and I mean everything. If the device breaks I want to bring the content to another device…

1 Like

Check out Overwitch, a JACK client for Overbridge devices, AKA Overbridge for Linux - it’s exactly what you’re after.

2 Likes

still all my hair on my head, thans to your advice buddy ; )

anyhting new? i am still not managing anything

This is the best option by far. Only works with mk2 devices though.