Overbridge lag on Digitone -- computer, settings, something else?

I’m running an older Mac (2015 iMac) with an older version of Digital Performer (9) as my DAW (in short: I haven’t had the budget to upgrade everything AND buy instruments over the last few years, so I’ve prioritized instruments – plus, for most things, this computer/DAW combo has been working fine). A few months back I experimented with running Overbridge into DP and capturing tracks from my Digitone. It was fiddly to get it working, but I finally did – however, the main problem I had was on the Digitone itself. There was a noticeable lag in responsiveness on the Digitone, which made performing the groove I was trying to record via Overbridge impossible. I’ve largely abandoned that effort, but more and more I’d like to be able to capture individual tracks from a performance and process them in my DAW.

I didn’t notice any obvious slow-downs on the computer side, but it’s not clear if the laggy Digitone was due to some USB communication issue, some setting I didn’t have optimized, or what. I’m curious if anyone has had similar problems – I feel like I’ve read posts about latency on the computer side but not as much on the Digitone/other Elektron box side. Would a newer Mac possibly resolve these sorts of problems, or might this have more to do with Overbridge settings, etc.?

Apologies if this is too vague, and if further details will help I’ll happily supply them.

Apparently one of the DN’s low pass filter modes can cause lag over OB, don’t remember which.