Overbridge into system

Hi,
I just had a look at overbridge since ages. I noticed that in the output config menu I get a sound routed into the mixer of my interface (total mix).
Now unfortunately I cant seem to route the outputs of my 4 tracks in there. Neither as a stereo signal nor individual tracks.
After lots of frustration with overbridge inside ableton I really started enjoying the a4 without using it. If however the outputs would appear inside my software mixer and could be used like any other signal without somehow using ableton to do so it would be a completely different story.
Could anyone advise me on this ?

Cheers,
Jens

This is an older beta video but the workflow hasn’t changed (only gotten more stable)
Forgive the really hot ableton audio :frowning:

1 Like

Thanks gonna check this out now. So it is possible to have multi channel over usb from a4 to my interface without daw? If so this would be a game changer for me

Oh this is for getting the vst sync handled my bad.

Ummm but! if you’re on mac yes you could do that without a daw using Loopback Audio.
you’ll need a computer but it would just function has a intermediary for routing the audio devices

You’ve given me an idea to mess around with loop back to see about using my 4 outs of my scarlet as hardware outs for my digitone. Hmm…

Oh a pitty.
When giing into options of the a4 standalone app and press test it plays a sound stright into my mixer of the audio interface. I just cant manage to get the tracks playing.

What are those settings for?
To me it looks like I could configure an output through USB and pressing test results in a tone in my mixer without daw. However I can also just select a pair of output channels.

that’s for enabling audio from the daw through the signal path of the a4. think using the a4 as a reamping device

Ohh ok. So there is no way to get the output into my mixer without going analog or using my daw?
I was hoping for it as pressing test does cause a sound to be played through total mix.

Loop back would totally work for something like this.
I’ve got the main outs going to my laptop speakers as a monitor.
Then I have T1-4 individual outs sending to the 4 hardware outs of my 6i6 and the inputs of the a4 going to the Spidf out.

A pitty that is exactly what I was hoping for. Unfortunately I am on windows.
With this I could use ableton just for tracking. I got so many problems with overbridge, especially the sync wasnt stable at all.

Sync is rock solid. are you trying to use external midi? the thing with overbridge is it is a custom driver tightly integrated with the plugin. it’s mean to be used pretty much exclusively via usb with/to integrate the daw. if your other gear isn’t syncing with the daw well then you’d probably run into issues. but in my testing with 3 devices in a session bringing 16 audio streams in (12 mono, 4 stereo) sync with the box is very stable. But it’s all being handled by the daw vst latency compensation that’s going to make it not play nice with hardware at the same time.

I’m not really seeing the use case could you explain your thought process? is it just do not have a daw session open while you’re jamming?

Well ages ago my plan was to multitrack into my daw. Unfortunately I ran into huge problems. Everything could be tight for an hour and suddenly the elektrons (had a couple back then) were not syncing anymore. The analog signal was spot on. I also tried using an erm multiclock with similar issues. Since the overbridge beta came out I tested again a couple of times but again had problems with that. I am running an i7 with 32 gig, rme fireface 802. When syncing with midi clock off my mpc everything is smooth.
I might have to give overbridge another try I suppose, not sure if I tried with the official 2.0 so far. It would great as I would get 4 more channels on my mixer (modded the a4 for 4 seperate outs) to use with my modular system.
So if I wanted to use the effects I would create an audio track referring to the a4 and create a send / return that is referring to that audio track. All far from ideal but well thats how it is. Thanks a lot for helping

Oh I am just wondering whether I can still use the analog inputs of the a4 and route into live as well?

Ah I remember the sync disconnects. Those are a lot more rare now a days. I think the main thing that can happen is when the screen and the device go “to sleep” sometimes people report vst communication issues. I’m sure if there’s anything to that they’re looking into it. I tend to be heavily focused on my boxes while doing ob sessions so that could be why I haven’t run into it.

And yes you can pull your inputs from the vst as well they show up as the last two tracks from the plugin.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for helping.

1 Like