Overbridge in Linux/Ubuntu

I remember seeing a boxed version of Red Hat in Electronics Boutique, EB Games or whatever it was, and getting so excited thinking it was gonna overtake “Windoze”

Fun fact: new Akai MPC machines are running on modified linux

2 Likes

Not sure if that’s supposed to be a good or bad thing. things have not been going all to well in mpc land.

Driver’s would not need to be linux specific, a class compliant usb audio interface would do for most people. As long as I can record individual 8 tracks from Digitakt into Bitwig on linux I would be happy. Not sure if they want to go that way but many usb interfaces from the likes of Novation/Focusrite, Motu etc provide class compliant audio. No drivers required, at least on Macos and Linux for the most part… this is (the direction) where things should be going imho…

2 Likes

Hi there,

i’m wondering whether Overbridge might be released for Linux/Ubuntu?!
I’m using Bitwig on a Ubuntu machine.

Trying to install Overbridge via wine/msiexec causes an error!

1 Like

That most likely wont happen as I understand it.

I got Overbridge 2.0 beta to install using PlayOnLinux, and while the Overbridge system runs, as does the Analog 4 standalone plugin, no connection shows up.

I can’t get it to work on a Virtualbox install of Windows 10 either. The older version of Overbridge ran OK with Win 7 under Virtualbox.

While a native Linux port would be great, it doesn’t seem likely. We can hope, mind.

2 Likes

Search around on these forums, some clever fellow managed to extract the audio streams via USB. Full OB functionality is less than likely, though.

1 Like

That seems like an excellent suggestion!

1 Like

Apple sure, but beyond whatever preexisting concerns about price and closed-source software the Windows based PC isn’t doing any of this.

Mmmm
Is it possible to directly record M:S output in Linux through USB? And… Android?
Does someone achieved it? Which software have you used? :hugs:

1 Like

I don’t own one, but doesn’t the Model:Samples have class compliant audio? Meaning it just shows up as a USB audio device.

1 Like

The SH-01A and TB-03 (and probably other Roland Boutiques) do not have class compliant audio over USB, but they do show up as midi devices on Linux. They also show up as class compliant mass storage devices when you restart them in disk mode to backup/restore the patterns and patches.

1 Like

I will try this evening :slight_smile:

It works :+1:t3:

5 Likes

Wonder if they develop Overbridge on Linux? The Spotify developers made the Linux Spotify app so that they could listen to Spotify while they developed it on their Linux machines. Programming on Mac and Windows sux.

1 Like

Have you checked this?

3 Likes

I haven’t! That’s awesome, I’ll do some digging. I haven’t done any development with JACK or any Linux utilities for that matter, but it might be a fun project!

There’s Bitwig now… and it rocks.

3 Likes

looks like overwitch is our best option:

2 Likes