Overbridge for Octa?

Obviously, but I am asking about the specific technical details, like ‘it only has xxx USB chipset’ or ‘we’ve run out of microcontroller memory’ or ‘the bus from the CF card only has xxx megabits of bandwidth so it has to be statically switchable.’ I don’t want to open up my OT or start reverse-engineering the circuit board, but I am interested in knowing what the particular constraints are so I thought I’d ask.

On the file format, it might be worth looking at Void’s stuff on controlling the MD & A4 via sysex.[/quote]
I am no digital tech head and this is largely assumption but …
It would have to be more than a matter of chipset.
You’d need AD converters already implemented in the USB interface for audio bidirectional data streaming with the DA converters for feed audio back through the A4 processing the sound through the A4 circuits and back out again also.
It would obviously need to be both a hardware replacement and software rewrite to even get the OT up too spec - wouldn’t be cheap for good AD/DA conversion / bidirectional audio / bidirectional midi etc also with audio that worked at variable sample rates @ 24 bit.
[/quote]
Everything in the OT is digital until the DA for output and the AD for input. No need for additional converters to exchange audio back and forth to a computer. That said, they have stated the OT hardware does not support it so no sense beating that dead horse, except perhaps to encourage development of a paid hardware upgrade or MkII etc. That said, I will need to know more about how Overbridge functions before stating firmly that it would suit my needs. Most important to me is that the audio devices can be merged, otherwise it would only be practical to use one at a time… Unless…!!! Elektron has by some stroke of genius incorporated access to the audio I/o of their boxes directly via the VST format while leaving the host ASIO preferences untouched! This would be fantastic and oh so futuristic! :wink:

I can already see an OT MkII being a full blown audio interface for a PC/Mac. Yes, it’ll work on it’s on just like the Mk I but hook it up to your PC and it’ll function with Overbridge type style as well as functioning as a pretty strong 4 in/4 out audio interface.

Cenk said that the A4 is transmitting mono tracks over Overbridge. This hypothetical OT MkII would be similar but doubling the USB output to the full 8 tracks.

I wouldnt be surprised if the R&D for Overbridge is done in combination with OT MkII development much in the same way all the analogue gear was developed together.

I dread the day when i need to record stuff into the computer (track by track) from Octatrack. This overbridge would have been perfect. Damn.

Just wanted to express my disapointment at being left out (under the bridge?), as a OT user. Hope elektron has some candy coming our way soon. How about putting the OT OS on github? ; )

hoping that the feels are not bad enough to… burn all bridges

takes cover

Without wanting to troll through pages of requests, anyone have an idea what the next OT update would likely to feature? Ideally i would love an extra effects slot on each track.

@octacalm -
no one (that i personally know) knows what will be in the next update, or if/when it will come.

there was a poll in the OT forum section recently, and the top requests went in the direction of project managment, slot triggering via MIDI, tempo-dependent repitching, etc. but that poll was completely unofficial.

@void - : ) OT will def stay with me… no question about that.
just not sure if i’d prefer:

A: OT+AR or
B: OT+TR8+rhythmwolf+volcas…

i do sometimes wish there were something like a sandboxed OS that you could mess around with (dream on)… and ofc i’d buy a hardware expansion, if it would enable Overbridge on OT.

If we’re not overbridge then we must be under the bridge.

Trolls

2 Likes

+1000000!!! - disapointment
+1000000!!! - github
+1000000!!! - candy update

1 Like

I’m pretty sure that pushing a number of audio streams through the USB bus requires a pretty significant amount of processing power, especially if you want to do such a thing reliably and at low latencies.

I would not be surprised to find the same microprocessor in the Analog boxes as is being used in the Octa since such a thing makes it much easier to reuse existing firmware code. However, the Octa already does a hell of a lot more processing (8 tracks stereo timestretched sample playback, 16 effects at once, 4 incoming audio channels, (re)sampling of up to 8 stereo streams at once, etc…) than any of the Analog boxes (3 effects and the generation of what’s still a fair number of high resolution control voltages).

So basically, the hardware limitation referred to is probably a matter of not having enough processing power left in the Octa to pull this off.

1 Like

get a grip people :wink:

the OT already does a tonne more already than it has any reasonable right to !

things move on, yeah, i’ll sob a bit when OTii comes out but it won’t change jack

be grateful that Elektron nipped this dreaming in the bud early !

Haha

Troll

The overbridge announcement felt a bit like the nail in the Octatrack “mk1” coffin. It was pretty obvious it wouldn’t feature on the octatrack, otherwise it would have been included in the promo. Mark 2 just round the corner I think featuring this tech, although as said it might just be not that possible given what the cpu and os are already doing.

I understand their business practices and what they are doing makes sense but I am little disappointed.

I think the machine still has a lot of potential for new ways to mangle the samples and new ways to get creative but I dont think we are going to see much (if any) development now.

I really don’t see how an MKII of anything could be expected in the face of a fresh Analog Keys and Analog Rytm. As much as some individual users may want to see an MKII on some things…I think such a move by the company would be frowned upon. There are complaints about even getting the AK and the AR isn’t even out the door yet. Announcing more hardware would probably raise the “get your house in order first” flag. Announcing something that will be given to the userbase free is a completely different thing.

I don’t see an Octatrack MkII being announced until at least two years from now. Getting the A4 Keys and RYTM out the door and through some OS updates/bug fixes will be the tope priority these next few months, and MD and MnM are older than dirt at this point. They need a sprucing up which I suppose may be announced around NAMM 2015. Perhaps OT MkII will appear at Messe 2015. who knows at this point?

As I’ll have been waiting about 3 months for my OT before it arrives, I really hope they don’t release a MKII anytime soon, or I’ll turn into a head-spinning, pea soup-spitting demon.

As much as I would love “overbridge” functionnalities for the OT, this won’t happen nor a MK2 version, and I won’t hold a grudge at Elektron for that.

• AR will be the main focus gear for the year coming (polishing the OS, adding synthesis machines, FX, sample functionnalities, sound packs, unlocking the hidden +drive feature, revealing the Michael Jackson moonwalking easter egg…)

• Overbridge for A4/AK/AR to finish by the end of the year (with a new OS per hardware), VST dev, UI design…

• Taking care of their new products shipment and support and so on…

I think Elektron HQ will be pretty busy.

What I wish for is a project/sample manager for the OT as Jon stated beeing hardware orientated doesn’t exclude a better communication with a computer. Well this would be really usefull to have an OT manager in this regard. And better for the workflow. I find it hard to believe there is so few samplers (to my knowledge) with official software manager since the MPC4000.

Not having Overbridge for the OT doesn’t undermine the beast (sure it would have been great to get 8in/8out via USB). But then it still is a powerfull hub for the other machines and get you creative away from computer.

Once Overbridge is out for A4/AR, it will open up routing possibilities, free ins and outs from the audio interface. Plug A4/AR via USB, OT via audio… OPTIONS… That is nothing to complain about.

My 2cents… :slight_smile:

PS : this is a hobbyist perspective.
I own a MD MK1, MM MK1, OT… Lurking for the A4/AR combo.
I didn’t jump on the MK2 wagon, sometime I regret not to, but have limited founds. What I don’t regret is getting the OT instead.

Yes, ten thousand time yes. I share your point of view

Well sure, no one’s saying the OT isn’t great as is. But if Elektron has started to include this functionality in their new gear, I can’t see why they wouldn’t try to add it to a future version of the OT.

I agree that a project/sample manager is essential, though! As it is, I find it very difficult to combine projects into a single live set.