Overbridge FAQ, Tips & Tricks

Even on my workstation I noticed a big difference when I switched to high performance power plan. The plan covers a range of settings. The one that had the most impact is the “Processor power management” “Minimum processor state”. It defaults to 5% in the normal power plan. Setting it to 100% is what did it for me.

When I did this I was concerned that my cpu would over heat or that fans would ramp up speed, so I was surprised that neither of those things happened. But now the bitwig dsp performance monitor has none of the spikes I saw previously - and that means no more crackles.

1 Like

Current CPUs not only regulate frequency but also current/power. So your CPU can be running at full frequency but without high processing load it doesn t need to be fed full current/power and it will not heat up so much. This is expressed in the TDP value. (I m no expert but this is something i learned from tweaking my system with ThrottleStop)

1 Like

Could you upload a Mac compatible Ableton Digitone Template please? :slight_smile: gives an error trying to load VST2 plugin.

I have updated the template. Let me know if it works now! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hey Patrik - thanks so much, can confirm it opens perfectly in Ableton Suite 10.1, on MacOS 10.13.6 with OB 2.0.39.10.

recording automation (in Arrangement view, using the physical hardware knobs to add the automation) works for a while, but eventually Ableton stops recognising the knob movement - I can hear the parameter changing, and it moves on the device display and in the Plugin window, but no automation is written and the red dotted line for that parameter doesn’t move in Ableton. I can still write in automation “by hand” by adding parameters in “configure” in the plugin device panel and adjusting with the mouse, but it is a pity it bombs out after a while doing it the quick, seamless way. Have you experienced this?

After a few experiments I made it work quite well with reaper :

I have the exact same problem with the newest overbridge v2.0.47

My machine MPB Mid 2010: MacOS 10.13.6
Ableton 10 v. 10.1.30
Overbridge v2.0.47
Digitone and RYTM Mk1 both on the newest OS’s: 1.30A / 1.60A

I’ve created a thread on the problem here:

I’ve also opened a ticket at Elektron, but havn’t heard back from them yet.

Did you or anybody else find a solution to this problem?

hi, sorry i hope it’s ok to post here - i am trying for the tenth time or so again to set up overbridge to work properly with my a4 mk1 in ableton. i believe what i want to achieve should be possible: to connect my a4 only with the usb to my macbook and sequence the tracks polyphonocally and individually and record either the main (to have a single polyphonic stereo track plus potentially the fx) or the individual channels (and the fx from the main). that while using the physical outputs of the a4 to monitor what comes out of my DAW (no interest in the direct signal here). got the plugin running, also loaded the template from here.
the main output does not put anything out but the mix as long as the channels are not routed to “main” or “fx” (which is good). as soon as they are though, i hear the voices (and i guess the fx too) also “direct” (and much louder than in the mix of course) on the physical outputs. that of course rules out recording anything from the main channel while accurately monitoring the full mix.
with the dt in ios (while of course not multichanneling) it was possible to mute the physical direct connections and stream audio into the (ios-)device, mix and effect it there and have only the mix signal on the physical outputs. i read in a 5 year old thread over here, that this might be an actual limitation with ob on the a4. or is it possible?
cheers all

Please add to the troubleshooting section of this guide that this knowledgebase article can help if you run into problems getting a device recognized:

Specifically, I had an issue where my mki AFour worked fine but my mki Rytm would fault or loop trying to initialize on one computer in particular ( it worked fine on the other computer! )

The instructions in this article seem to have fixed that.

Is there a way to lock latency for Overbridge. I’m on Windows and i have noticed that the Analog Heat as a inserts on a mix bus fluctuates in latency. Studio One and Reaper both have trouble to auto compensate the latency. What make things worse is that the active/non active and bypass settings have different latency’s too. That leaves the Heat to be usefull on the masterbus only.

–SOLVED-- (don’t know how)

I am having an issue since this month started. I can’t make OB see my Digitone and ARMKI (“The plugin’s protocol version (2) is incompatible with the Overbridge protocol version (5)”). I have the latest OS for each machine and the latest OB. My older projects, from January, work ok with the OB that is in them. If I make a new project, it doesnt work. How can this be???

There is a thing I would love to do on Overbridge but haven’t yet nailed how to go there. It might not be possible, I have check the manual but can’t really find it.

I know how to record in multitrack with every OB-enabled machine, and record automations on a bunch of parameters.
What I would love to do is recording the midi notes out of my Elektron machine, so that I can edit the midi track and replay the edited track on the machine.
This way, I would be able to simply capture the audio out with FX

Do you know if this is possible?

2 Likes

From memory, there is a MIDI rectangle in the top right corner of Ableton, enable it. Supposing you’re using Ableton Live.

Oh, yes, I’m using Ableton.
Isn’t this MIDI button to assign some controller a parameter?

What I’d like is recording notes from say a Rytm, so that I can replay the MIDI, the Pattern changes, possibly mutes, but at the very least the notes with the current Pattern.

3 Likes

I’m absolutely curious about this also, and will be experimenting with it today. It’s definitely possible in non-OB MIDI mode, but that would be a major pain going back and forth.

1 Like

Yes, exactly, I’d like to record what I play, not playing from the DAW :face_vomiting:
:sweat_smile:

as long as the device you’re using has the option to output midi from the seq trigs, it’s relatively painless to do, e.g. A4/AK works due to its recent-ish addition of midi output per track, whereas DT can only output midi notes from its midi tracks, so won’t work without more faff (copy+paste sample track’s pattern to a midi track before the notes can be recorded into ableton)

2 Likes

Oh, weird. I thought (and hope) I had overlooked something… I have to ask Elektron about this ^^
I’d really like a kind of Overbridge meta song mode.

1 Like

My memory is tricking me, my bad.

on the DT it’s an odd omission - you can use the trig buttons to send midi (play them ‘live’ like a midi controller) but any notes in the onboard seq are not sent via midi.

1 Like