Overbridge, Cubase Artist, Analog 4 - problems / workflow

Hi All,

I think I am posting this in the correct place…

I am sure I have several questions around this theme… so here goes.

General question: I am interested to know what poeple are doing in general in terms of workflow.

How do you use your analog four with Cubase? Are you using overbridge? What is your workflow for getting audio into your PC [for post editing]

I have been working away from PC’s for a little while and have been more focused on composing using hardware only. Mostly recording audio outputs “live.” Novation Circuit (Stereo out) onto one track, Analog 4 (another stereo pair) Moog Sub37 into Analog 4, and finally Triton Extreme (another stereo pair).
I sometimes record the Moog onto a separate mono track. All via my Focusrite 18i6.

I have been fairly happy with recording on a very basic netbook and an old version of Cubase with a little post production/editing. I have been wanting to improve my recordings though with more post production and editing.

e.g. recording midi at the same time as audio, recording audio on separate tracks via overbdige, and quantizing audio.

So, I have now upgraded my PC for music making and bought Cubase Artist. A new learning curve begins… The version of Cubase is quite different to SX. I have lost some effects on projects I have important and am finding it quite difficult to get “my sound” back quite as I would like it… A big learning curve though in terms of software improvements and hopefully better effects when I know what to use and how best to use it.

One “problem” I have identified so far is that the artist version has limited routing capabilities which my make it difficult to get my A4 into Cubase on separate audio tracks in one take. I am not able to take a group track and route the audio from one of the A4 overbridge outputs back in as an audio input. Does anyone know any workarounds for this for recording the separate audio tracks from the A4?

How is it best to use midi with the A4. I know it won’t out output sequencer data but can I record parameter changes/controllers?

Or am I better to keep working within the A4 e.g. for trig conditions

Is there a way to sync songs/chains with Cubase?

Problem 2

I would like to record the external inputs into my PC via overbridge. The outputs from tracks 1-4 appear fine in Cubase but the External inputs to not. Ext L is visible but does not show any signal. Also where is Ext R?

Thanks in advance.

Any advice and thoughts are welcome.

Steve

Hi Steve,
I had almost the same career with several Cubase versions over the years. Every upgrade, even an update needs a new learning curve. Very steep at the beginning, but be sure, it flattens more and more.

I will show you my setup in 9pro, maybe it will help you:

First, the A4 (sadly) doesn’t send sequencer data over midi. But in the meantime OB is synced almost perfectly and its ablities in automation surely compensates this lack.
For both OB-VST’s I avoided using grouptracks, because separate audiotracks provide much more opportunities, i.e. different inserts and selective muting and so on. For the AR I use a grouptrack (somtimes VCA-Fader) to control the volume of the drum subgroup. Every single (USB-)audiotrack is therfore still available in the mixer when needed.

I created some ‘recording-busses’ (VST-connection, F4) as output busses, not connected to anything at first, they have two open ends in the beginning:

Next, go to the mixer window and make some routing as the following, at first the instrument channels:

Next step is routing these one-side-connectes-busses to their corresponding audio tracks:

If you don’t want to use the mixer window, you can make these setting in the channel setup windwos on each track.

At least, check if all outputs are activated:

@Problem2: as you can see, there is only one external in - i have no idea why…

Hope it will help you so far,
greets

Dieter

Hi Dieter,

Thank you very much for your detailed reply.

I have followed it through as best as I can. I have created 4 new output buses (F4 is a very useful shortcut and it encouraged me to explore the other function keys!)

But, hit a hurdle quite quick when it comes to input routing. If I create and audio track the only input buses are from my focusrite. I believe this is a limitation of Cubase Artist vs Cubase Pro. Does anyone know any work around for this? I have not played with it much yet but could I for instance route anything from Ableton Live Lite via rewire?

I currently have a few hours left on the trial of the pro version and find I can route audio inputs from the outputs
I have created… however I still cannot record/see audio on the meters for the new audio track. Ok, finally got that working i the pro version at least… Had to restart Cubase. But eventually that seems to work.

Just to check @TheDiePie I assume you are using Cubase Pro?

Recorded some audio. Pears quite quiet and no fx (which I gather is correct anyway while using overbridge?)

Also, still no joy on getting external audio in via overbridge. But I guess if it does not come in via fx why would I want to!? Thoughts welcome on that one…

Just to add to my questions re workflow. Having had a play with this I am thinking that I may not use overbridge until I wanted to record. Not played much with MIDI yet to control the A4 (partly as I like working with it so much as a stand alone) but I am not sure how to control the A4 as VST instrument from midi tracks i.e. for automation.

Any more thoughts about workflow welcome from anyone…

Thanks again for your help.

best wishes

Steve

ok, Steve, no prob, I think I understand hitting the hurdle :slight_smile:

Maybe you needed input-busses previously when recording directly from the Scarlett (very nice box, I used it several years). In Cubase you have ‘to think around the corner’:

First you need a midi-device for your external gear (sub37, circuit) - create one for each in the devices-menu, select all 16 channels on the left hand side. Next go to your familiar VST-Connections an select the tab ‘external devices’. There you should see the new midi-devices. Open the connection panel in full view (tiny + top left) and connect it to your Scarlett. Now your input channel is called ‘return-bus’ - ready!

(If you don’t see any device click on ‘add channel’ and then connect your new device)

Now close all setup-windows and create an instrument track, select your new midi-device (->external plugin). By default it is routed to DAW-main-bus. Now you can gon on with the procedures above.

IMO there is no need to upgrade for now, because there are no relevant limitations in Artist - except you wil need tons of tracks and very special routing options.

@OB: FX is routed through the main outs, not over usb.

@A4+Midi: very simple, depends on your A4-internal-setup. Try some automation, that’s really nice.

best wishes

Dieter

Hi Dieter,

I set up Midi-devices (I assume in the right place) via MIDI Device Manager --> Install Device --> Define New (I have no scripts for my devices) --> Named my device and selected 16 Midi channels.

Unfortunately I still have the same kind of problems with routing/creating a return bus. The only tabs I have in VST Connections are the Inputs and Outputs tabs. It looks like the external devices, group/FX, External FX and Studio tabs are only available in Pro. A little frustrating really but maybe I will have to buy the full version if I want to record separate tracks via overbridge.

I guess I should stick with the stereo output from my A4 for now but will certainly try and have a play with automation.

Thanks again.

Steve