Overbridge Audio Drop Outs - Dell XPS15

Hi guys, having a bit of bother. Nothing serious and nothing I can’t live with but thought I’d run it by the community for thoughts.

So last year I bought an XPS15 and thought I could get away with its 2 USB 3 ports and using a hub (cheap USBC hubs hadn’t really hit the market at the time). Overall it works ok but Overbridge will regularly drop audio. A quick double click on the spacebar (I use Live) and things kick off as expected.

I suspect it’s all to do with USB bandwidth and latency settings so I have a USB C hub on order and will move things around to limit bottle necks for my Octacapture and AK/Overbridge - is that a fair assumption?

For info, after digging out Maschine I want that involved so the set up is MAschine/Push 2/AK with the Octacapture on driver duties. Currently the AK is going through a hub with the Octacapture hooked directly into the laptop.

The new hub should arrive tomorrow but thought I’d ask! I plan to potentially add a Maschine Jam and either a DT or MPC Live down the line - maybe it’s just asking too much with the limited XPS15 ports but hoping things through USB C will sort that out.

So potentially not an Overbridge issue, more a set up issue…

The issue is coming from your hub. Only MTT USB hubs can handle multiple devices with audio in / out. Most hubs, even usb c hubs, use STT technology. A single stream of data is sent, and if there is a conflict with the audio data you will experience drop outs.

There is only 1 guaranteed MTT hub I can find on the market for USB3. The overhub made by Elektron! It is affordable and works great.

1 Like

Thanks for the detailed answer - I had no idea about MTT/STT! Always wondered what the benefit of Overhub actually was… haha.

The USB C hub I ordered arrived and I haven’t had any issues unless I plug/unplug something while playing. I’ll crack on with the USB C hub and failing that then next stop will be overhub…