Overbridge & Apple Silicon Audio Glitch (M1 Pro vs M3 Max)

I think you misunderstood. I do have the issue now, but before I didn’t. And no, I don’t have the option to roll back due to the Rytm now on 1.70.

But you do you. If you need to spend that amount of money, rather than wait for Elektron to come out with a new version of Overbridge, who am I to get in your way. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Shista - this link will get you Overbridge 2.1.5.4

Maybe you get a link for previous 1.7 Rytm firmware and can get it to work.

I have the M1 Max 16” MacBook Pro, Sonoma, and use a MOTU AVB Ultralite (at home, a MOTU 8M at the studio space) for further info. So so happy the DT and ST are crackle-free now with the OB 2.3.9 rollback. I’m quite fond of the little buggers and was at the end of my rope with the crackling issue.

Just thought I’d mention I have an M2 Pro Macbook Pro and I also get this issue.

After my own testing I’m not convinced its an Elektron problem and I think it could be something to do with how those MacBooks handle USB audio. Specifically the ‘Pro’ chip.

Messing around with my setup seems to fix it for a while but it always comes back.

Can you share the link?

To the thread with older versions of OB? If so, no problem:

Can change the link provided in that thread with the revision number you are looking for.

1 Like

I’ve been having this issue with my Macbook Pro M1 Pro since i bought it.
From what I’ve read on Elektronauts and elsewhere it’s a problem with M1 Pro, Max and Ultra processors (but not regular M1).
As far as I can tell it an apple problem and not an Elektron problem as it happens with some other interfaces as well.
I’ve tried lots of things but the only thing i’ve found that makes it a little better is using a USB B to C cable directly into the laptop. It doesn’t fix it but it seems to now only happen every few minutes rather than every few seconds.
I’ve had to resort to going ‘old school’ and recording into an audio interface.

1 Like

Ugh. Y’all are making me think I’m still going to have this issue… I’m away from the boxes for the rest of today but will definitely report back if the evil crackles return for me in the next few days.

Just noticed there was a minor Overbridge update in the last few days from 2.7.1 to 2.7.3, so reinstalled and haven’t had any glitching for the last hour or so.

There’s no release notes so not sure what changed, but will test some more with Rytm and Digitone and report back.

2 Likes

I have the same setup as you. I’ll be keen to hear if you or anyone else find anything.

This is odd. I have an M1 Macbook Pro. I have an RME. I have never ever had one issue with it. RME has been rock solid on my machine for 2 years now.

I just recorded my Digitakt into Overbridge standalone 2 weeks ago. It came out perfectly with no clicks or pops or issues.

My OS Is still Ventura, so I will stay with that for now. I also use the USB B to C cables now and no adapters. My MBP is 16 gigs of ram and the 16 inch screen. Does that even matter? Doubt it but I figured I’d share that detail.

can confirm that my mac studio m1 ultra, sonoma 14.1.1, OB 2.7.1, has zero crackling or other sound issues either with standalone apps or au/vst plugins in live.
also doesn’t matter if I route audio out from standalone to my audio interface (MOTU ULmk5) or mac headphones out.

Thanks - the more info from various folks with an M1, the better. . I did another test last night with 2.3.9 and again, 5 minutes recording both DT and ST simultaneously in Live was crackle free (M1 Max, Sonoma).

I’ll give 2.7.3 a try today and report back.

EDIT: UPDATE
Ok, so I uninstalled 2.3.9, installed 2.7.3, rebooted, ran my 5-minute test again. With 2.7.3, the crackles (more accurately: periodic clicks/pops) were back. So then I uninstalled 2.7.3, reinstalled 2.3.9, rebooted, and ran the test again. 2.3.9 once again came up clean without issue and so for me, that’s what I’m rolling with. Ok, back to making some music. :slight_smile:

There was a wider issue with those MacBooks in general where loads of people reported audio crackling from the integrated speakers just with general use.

People seemed to think the unified memory was causing it when under heavy load as it only happened when the Mac was above 50% RAM usage so it might be worth checking that in activity monitor.

For me it seems to come and go but I haven’t checked if I’m on 2.7.3 yet.

UPDATE on the original post

Today I received the M3 Pro MacBook with Sonoma 14.1.1 and I had the Rytm running in standardalone with FW 1.70 and Overbridge 2.7.1. All the same cables and setup like the original post.

NO CRACKLING - FLAWLESS RECORDING

I think the issue is the M1 Pro chip in the Sonoma 14.1.1 environment

1 Like

Yes that happened to me a lot and was very annoying. I think Ventura ended that issue for me though, since it has not happened since I installed it.

Same for me. Seems to have been fixed with Ventura.

1 Like

If I ever encounter this m1 pro issue is there a way to get an m3 at a discount if I have Apple care for my m1 and say it won’t function properly for what I’m trying to do?

Knowing Apple that’s probably not happening but I figured I’d ask just in case. So far though, my M1 Pro has been amazing. I’ll stay on Ventura.

1 Like

Curious why you went from the M3 Pro over the Max? If I go to an M3 I want to make sure it’s a good chip that will work for me moving forward.

So far my M1 pro has been working really well but I was recording the DN last night and now and then I’d get a crackle. Made me think of this thread.

Also I ask because I am seeing that the M1Pro has more performance cores than the M3pro. That matters a lot when it comes to DAWs like Ableton that only use performance cores… Check this out:

3 Likes

I was about to post that video too, really intresting tests he had done. Seemingly cubase outperforms Abelton Live quiete a bit. About 25% more track count, because it can use efficiency cores.

1 Like