Overbridge 2.0.17 Public Beta

I have a big issue with my Overbridge GUI it won’t load correctly in Ableton Live 10
The overbridge standalone and my engine work perfectly but VST load a black screen in Ableton Live 10 when i open it.

anyone can help me please ?

Thank you

I’ve had issues with black plugin screens using live 10.0 but later versions solved the issue. What live version are you on? If it’s the latest try reaching out to Ableton.

I have Ableton Live 10.1 the latest one

…derrrr… shit. Mandela effect coulda sworn I was good to go; or maybe it just never occurred to me that it would NOT be supported. Hopefully the production version will, though - I can appreciate Beta’s focusing on limited OS to get it close enough and then expand. IMO its not an issue of “10y/o” OS - they are highly similar and there are millions of satisfied users of all current software on W7.

Windows 10 supports legacy applications.

Windows 7 does not necessarily support future libraries.

Again, we are speaking real-time audio libraries and high speed USB development. While I have no direct proof from within , if they’re not supporting the OS it’s for one of a few reasons.

• The dev cost of supporting a legacy OS that will only get less popular over time and has no support from Microsoft without paying the sorts of consulting fees only world governments could afford.

• Incompatibility of what OB is at its core with the deprecated libraries Win7 supports.

Both are likely, but even if the latter wasn’t true, the former would be.

You develop for the most users, and for that Elektron is necessarily focusing on recent OSX and Windows versions. They want to keep supporting this for additional years to come, and that means that you start with a relatively new OS and support THAT for 5-10 years. You don’t feel obligated to support an already 10 or whatever y/o OS and support for an additional OS. There lies madness!

Support costs a TON of dev hours and developing say, a calculator app requires less intensive and low level embedded hardware knowledge than OB.

3 Likes

In addition to what @thermionic wrote, Windows 7 End-of-Life for support from Microsoft is Jan 14, 2020, 5 months from now. Windows 10 has already had 7 major releases and as far as I can tell keeps getting better (I just took the 1903 release on Monday).

1 Like

All Windows 7 support from Microsoft ends Jan 2020, at which point it’s going to be pretty unsafe to use pretty quickly I imagine.

1 Like

oh, what sigint said. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah, life support for the OS is basically already cut.

For ALL users 10 is 60%.

For users that would own new Elektron synths, the market share would be much higher.

1 Like

I was really attached to 7 too, but it turns out once you’ve spent the usual forty five minutes deleting all of Microsoft’s clutter and animations 10 is probably better. I mean, it’s almost certainly spying on us, and selling our DNA to secret Illuminati cloning farms, but that’s 2019 for you.

(also looking at that graph - people really didn’t like 8 much did they?)

3 Likes

I don’t think it was like… Vista hated. But users that moved to 8 and 8.1 increments moved just as quick to 10.

The people who use 7 will continue doing so until the malware takes over or their hardware stops working :slight_smile:

There are ways to degarbage and de-telemetry the OS. Which is generally less “spy” than surveying common configurations and tasks, error reporting. I can’t speak for the specific captures (it’s been a while since I’ve looked at those logs) but others have likely observed exactly what it collects and what it doesn’t.

Anyway, I get the virtues of isolated not online DAW boxes, and isolated software like photoshop and Ableton will be developed for them long after the OS is deprecated, but low level hardware integration can not be expected to use the old libraries at the necessary performance required, not will someone be too happy to spend the time working with something so far below the baseline.

Edit: Whoops, sorry for the tangent in the Beta thread! I have a lot of experience with deprecated products and sustaining engineering, both on the OS and hardware side. I’ll shut up now :slight_smile:

Has anyone figured out how to record audio in logic with the digitakt over overbrige. I can’t seem to actually record the audio that is coming from the digitakt. I tried to send it to busses, i tried triggering midi and bouncing it. Anyone successful in actually recording the audio, not just playing it through your daw?

Use this thread it‘s explained there Overbridge + Logic Pro x 10.2.2

2 Likes

My Overbridge Manual says:

„Overbridge offers audio interface functionality. This means that individual tracks or voices of your Elektron device are exposed as separate audio input channels in your computer. There are also audio output chan- nels that can be routed directly into the synth voices on some devices, as well as to the main output bus.“

Im using Analog Rytm btw, but does this help?

thank you <3

I have a big issue with my Overbridge GUI it won’t load correctly in Ableton Live 10
The overbridge standalone and my engine work perfectly but VST load a black screen in Ableton Live 10 when i open it.

anyone can help me please ?

Thank you

No, no buzzing. But I submitted a ticket with detailed info many months ago, and haven’t received any reply at all from Elektron. If this is warranty support, I’m a bit underwhelmed.