Overbridge 2.0.11 Public Beta - Plugins, Drivers and Firmware

So the solution (or better setting) maybe be to try to reduce buffer size to minimise this happening now?

thanks

Yes try not to go over 128.

1 Like

I have the same error. Windows 10 64bit.

Error

Will those Overbridge VSTs for macOS ever be available as a 32bit version? Or is it just 64bit?

1 Like

Midi still sucks, Iā€™m afraid.
Erratic behavior on Ableton 10, High Sierra, and worst thing no autochannel, so in 2.0.9.16 I was able to use normal usb midi turning it on Live preferences, but since last update no more midi, then I uninstalled and went back to 2.0.9.16.
Also, in old beta I was able to use OB in Protools (I canā€™t figure out why the fuck a professional implementation in not ahead, cā€™mon Elektron, but whatever) with the excellent Blue Cat Patchwork , but the update broken the thing and all crashes goin on, so - again - here I am in 2.0.9.16
I really think Overbridge is an outstanding step forward in music production anyway

Not sure that I understand what you are trying to do. Care to elaborate?

AAX has been our minds but we need to get VST working on the most popular DAWs first and then AU. You need to remember that Overbridge is NOT a normal plugin in any way and are very dependent on how plugin support is handled by the different DAWs. Even if itā€™s a VST standard, Overbridge needs to be optimised for each DAW as they behave very differently. This because it runs in real-time on a different unit than the computer and the DAW is not in full control as it usually is when running a normal plugin.

3 Likes

Today after updating to the new overbridge beta Iā€™ve realised that itā€™s not working anymore on Logic audio. It doesnā€™t recognised anymore Digitakt and same with Digitone. And it doesnā€™t appears anymore in my midi set up. So to double check Iā€™ve uninstalled and reinstall the old one and itā€™s working fine. Then I did again the update and itā€™s the same itā€™s not working anymoreā€¦ Any idea?

TL/DR: Need help setting up MIDI from DT to Reaper to control track panning. MIDI Bugs?

Iā€™m fairly new to using midi for control purposes other than sync and start/stop. Iā€™ve been able to control my Volca Beats from the Digitakt, Iā€™ve dabbled a bit in controlling VST/VSTi plug ins. So I get it, but over all fairly inexperienced. I donā€™t know the limitations

So what Iā€™m trying to do in Reaper is set up track panning. One of the first things I noticed is that getting your mono tracks out individually is great, but all panning is lost per track. It is represented if you send your tracks through the Main, but for my purposes, I want to dedicate the Main to FX only.
I want to record from the DT as live as possible. Iā€™m not opposed to multi-tracking, or compromising and committing to printing (been doing 2channel DT takes for a year now :wink: ) but In scenarios where you start integrating % conditions into your tracks and those go through the live FX sends, how do you go back and re-track individual sounds through the main, those % trigs are likely going to be different from one take to the next

Alright, so using MIDI I have successfully been able to set it up so that when I turn the DT pan pots on audio tracks 1-8 the panning is represented in Reaper. Reaperā€™s pan pots on tracks 1-8 turn on screen and more importantly L-R in my monitors (MIDI CC 10). Awesome. New catch, if I assign an LFO to panning 1-8, if I have trigs with panning p-locked nothing happens. That makes sense though, the audio is restricted leaving the DT as MONO 1-8. No problem,
Reaper allows me to Link a MIDI Channel to Track Panning.

Hereā€™s where things get buggy.
Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnā€™t.
To keep things organized, MIDI track A(9) is going to control panning on DT/Reaper track 1 and so on for all 8 audio/midi tracks. Encoder 7 is going to be my pan pot. 1 track at a time, letā€™s start with track 1:
Sometimes I can successfully assign things. Itā€™s a process, Iā€™ll spare most details for now.
Iā€™ll have things pre set so that MIDI A has CH9, and VAL7 active, and SEL7 is set to MIDI CC 10 PAN.
Then in Reaper I get everything set up, itā€™s ready to detect, for me to turn VAL7, I turn VAL7 and the default SND CTRL 7 CC 76 is what gets assigned.
After restarting both DT and Reaper and going through the process again, it works! I can pan from MIDI A, VAL7. Sweet.
Set up track 2, same problems, restart, doesnā€™t work, try again, works! Sweet
Tracks 3-8 will only assign CC 76. At this point Iā€™ve given up, I just donā€™t know if itā€™s a limitation of MIDI, or if the DT or Reaper are just buggy. This is all going to have to be rebuilt anyway as the beta progresses. just trying to understand the process and limitations

Whatā€™s cool about this set up is that you get p-locks and LFOs back for panning. a bonus is now your MIDI is internally assigned and you can sequence Audio 1 with MIDI A (1-8). That might be fun?
Reaper also keeps itā€™s assignments so if you swap track 3 for track 1 everything shifts and now the audio for 3 becomes track 1 and takes on itā€™s assigned panning. there are ways to automate this via midi tooā€¦ thatā€™s for the future though. Letā€™s get simple working

There are other options, but can the other way work successfully?
-CC 76 can control a VST per that has panning, LFO and p-locks work
-From the DT plug in channel you can assign CC76 to the send panning, LFO works, p-locks donā€™t
-again, just assign the DT track you want panned to go out the main DT channel

For all this to work you have to assign your Reaper tracks to record in Stereo, so you lose your mono track, but there are routing options to retain this and record both mono and stereoā€¦again simple for now.

if thatā€™s not enough, also
@Elektron, When I insert the DT plug in as a VSTi Reaper will automatically build routing for me. Do you guys have control over how this is set up and layed out? I have suggestions, but it may just be personal preferences, I can save templates so no issue really

Wow, I need an editor
hereā€™s a visual
https://youtu.be/PzNyiTbJY6k

2 Likes

try uninstalling and then reinstalling with the DT plugged in and on, saw this suggestion before and I needed to do it myself

Elektron has changed the signing of OB2:

So you maybe run into a security problem without noticing it. Check the first post in this thread again about the details.

1 Like

Sorry for my bad english, Olle, Ill try to explain.
Iā€™ve always been using A4 as an expander, sending different midi channels to play each track.
The use of Overbridge midi seems to lack in consistency, sometimes plays, sometimes not, the track with arp donā€™t respond (that was the auto channel for) etc.
So in 2.0.9.16 I was used to trick it using traditional midi channels, but with the new beta the old midi channels are not available anymore, leaving me with only Overbridge midi, tha as I said doesnā€™t work well.
Oh, and tryng to launch it on Bluecat bridge AAX crashes Protools
I hope itā€™s more clear, thanks

Thanks for the project file! Recording does seem to work now, which is good to see. It seems like the record button in Reaper starts / stops the DT. Thatā€™s unfamiliar behavior to me. When I try to play back the recorded files in Reaper, it also starts the DT, thus playing the recordings as well as the DT. When I have time Iā€™ll try to figure out what the difference is between your and my project file. Thanks for taking such effort to help me out!

Will updating the beta driver reset any settings in some way? Iā€™d like to stick to the current driver since it seems to work for me (except for the recording).

Thatā€™s cool that it worked, even without updating! That might mean once I figure out my set up I wonā€™t have to keep rebuilding my routing for new versions of the plug in. Sweet

Just wanted to mention, I think in our original conversation I suggested that you set up your track channels to receive from the Digitakt plug in as ā€œpost fader (post pan)ā€, it might be better to have it ā€œPre-fader (post-fx)ā€. That way if you tweek your mix a touch in Reaper, the track levels wonā€™t print to your recording, but the panning will, so will any FX you insert on these channels. You canā€™t set it to ā€œpre-fxā€ because then it stops receiving audio from the DT plug in, unfortunately

For the transport control (play on record) maybe open the DT plug in, there are sync settings for clock and clock+ transport, change that to clock for your purposes, that might be it?

If youā€™re interested, give this one a try, itā€™s set up pre-fader post pan, and you should also be able to use your pan control from the DT on tracks 1-8, Iā€™m just not sure if my custom actions are included with the rpp file, let me know
DTOB-12AP38MP2MIPrePo.RPP (9.2 KB)

I canā€™t remember, are you using Windows? If so can you look in your Task Manager, Process Window (When Reaper is shut down). Iā€™m not sure that the plug in is releasing from Reaper on close. I had a bunch of Reaper.exe processes open. That never happened before Overbridge and the Reaper forums seem to indicate that when that happens itā€™s something on the plug in side of things

EDIT:
If that new RPP works, the panning control, here are some additional settings, but please read so you know what youā€™re getting into. Try on a new project only?

Note: This set up is weird for chromatic mode

Sync
(this sections doesnā€™t seem to have influence over the pan/volume controls)
Clock receive: ON
Clock Send: off
Prog Ch Receive: ON
Prog Channel Send: Off

Port Config

Turbo Speed: Off
Out Port Config: Midi
Thru Port Config: Midi
Input From: Midi+USB
Output To: Midi+USB
Output Ch: TRK CH
Param Output: CC
Encoder Dest: Int+EXT
Trig Key Dest: Int (setting to EXT will negatively affect Audio Track Trig Pitch/Chromatic Mode)
Mute Dest: Int
Receive Notes: On
Receive CC/NRPN: On

Channels

Track 1 -> Ch: 1
Track 2 -> Ch: 2
Track 3 -> Ch: 3
Track 4 -> Ch: 4
Track 5 -> Ch: 5
Track 6 -> Ch: 6
Track 7 -> Ch: 7
Track 8 -> Ch: 8
Track A -> Ch: 9
Track B -> Ch: 10
Track C -> Ch: 11
Track D -> Ch: 12
Track E -> Ch: 13
Track F -> Ch: 14
Track G -> Ch: 15
Track H -> Ch: 16
Fx Control CH: off
Auto Ch: 14
Prog CHG in Ch: Auto
Prog CHG Out CH: Auto

MIDI CH A:
TRIG Page:
NOT1: C 0 (0)
NOT2,3,4: 0
everything else default

SRC Page: CHAN : 1, everything else off
FLTR Page: everything off, VAL7 On, set to 64
AMP Page, everything default, SEL7 set to PAM (MIDI CC 10)
LFO Page: DEST: CC VAL7, everything else to taste, DEP makes it happen

MIDI CH B:
Everything the same as CH A
Change:
TRIG Page: NOT1: C #0 (1)
SRC Page: CHAN : 2

If you change the base notes you can trigger the different audio tracks 1-8
On MIDI A, C 0 to G 0 are 1-8, from G #0 to B 2 will only trigger audio track 1 C 0,
C 3 to c 7 will trigger audio track 1 chromatically, and then itā€™s stuck at that pitch for the rest of the note range
On MIDI B, same as above applies, only audio 2 is triggered from G # 0 to B 2

Panning P-Locks have to be done on the MIDI tracks, and as Trigless Trigs, otherwise you interrupt your audio by re-triggering it, the LFO is also set to control panning

------------------Issue bellow has been solvedā€”See Edit--------------------------------------------------
If Iā€™ve got this, the way the system is set up MIDI C 3 is audio pitch C 0, MIDI C 5 is audio C 3.
If you use this set up playing the Digitakt from the trig keys themselves is a little messed up.
MIDI takes over the pitch control of all audio 1-8.
If you want to play chromatically you have to have to do so from the MIDI channels, and so far only A + B are set up for this.
So live Chromatic recording a sequence is only possible on the MIDI Ch 1+2 and only for those audio, but then you are split from accessing your sound design controls
---------------------------------------Issue Above Solvedā€”See Edit--------------------------------------------

EDIT: Just discovered under Port Config if you set TRIG KEY DST to INT, it restores the pitch to the audio tracks, thus making chromatic mode fully available across both the Audio and MIDI tracks. This set up provides you with 2 sequencers per track, 2 lfos per track, pan control via audio pan encoder and midi CC+midi lfo, track level control via DT master mixer. Still 7 midi encoders to assign.
Still not sure how this affects using the DT midi to control other external gear.
Updated the instructions above to reflect this new info

4 Likes

Hello,

Did a clean install of the new beta. Trying to use the Digitakt with Ableton Live 10.0.6 on a Mac running 10.14.3. Digitakt 1.11 beta6. Stand alone Digitakt software works great but for the life of me the VST never sees that the overbridge engine is running and that the Digitakt is plugged in. Swapped cables, tried hub, no hub. Allowed the driver in my security preferences, enabled overbridge mode on the Digitakt and read the overbridge manual. Is the VST no supposed on the this version of OSX Mojave? I swear Iā€™m doing this the right way but no luck.

We expect the MIDI Clock to be more stable.

How did you this?

I did but it doesnā€™t work even if allowedā€¦

I did at least 3 times and itā€™s the sameā€¦

I repeated the install process after I allowed the kext to make sure it made a full install run with the signed kext accepted but yes, it was unclear.

Yeah I did the same and allowed and still it doesnā€™t appear anymore in the midi on my Mac. Iā€™ve tried with with my 2 others Mac, 1 Mojave and the others high Sierra and itā€™s the same the midi disappears as soon as you update. Then installed the old one and itā€™s back. I think they need to update the Digitakt, Digitone, and Heatā€¦ The overbridge works fine on live and standalone etcā€¦ just the separate channels donā€™t anymore on Logic Pro X simple as that. :frowning: