Out of topic borderline chatting

I used to find these threads funny but if I’m honest the constant whingeing about the fact that the Digitakt isn’t X or doesn’t do Y is getting a bit sad.

Buy something else if you don’t like it, because the Digitakt is about as complete as it’s ever going to be.
If I start a thread that’s been discussed so many times before I expect the mods to close or merge it. The fact that they continue to let these threads roll on over and over again is a testament to their patience.

That’s it, I’m done taking shit seriously for the month.
Gonna go play on my Digitakt.

Even though it’s shit.

That’s the thing though - they’re really not a hardware company! They’re a hardware and software company and furthering their software surely is crucial to their success.

Developing for small subsets isn’t what I’m talking about. I’m talking about paying for upgrades - and you can choose to upgrade or not. Or course that’s been going on in software and OSs forever so it’s not an out there concept.

Having an opinion you don’t agree with isn’t whinging, it’s an opinion you don’t agree with. It should be mod-ed? Who’s been offensive? Wow.

That’s it, I’m done with this place being a fanboy club for the month. Gonna go play on my Digitakt.

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

1 Like

Paid for upgrades to an OS is “the most idiotic brainstorming I’ve ever seen in my life.”? Really? It’s pretty normal stuff.

Please no personal attacks. Yes, I’m in charge of things that are important.

I think you guys are getting very upset and taking this way too seriously. This is just people on the internet chewing the fat about possibilities - what’s the big deal?

Ok, I moved this cause it was both out of topic and becoming aggressive.
Please stay friendly, it’s really bad for everyone when dragging this forum down.
To those using “idiotic” or “fanboy” words at others, please have a quick read at the Guidelines…

http://www.elektronauts.com/faq

1 Like

I’m not feeling serious, just chewing the fat as well. What paid for OS upgrades (or firmware upgrades) can you think of, out of curiosity. Windows and Ableton need paid for when major version upgrades come out, but it’s not the same kind of thing and much more akin to buying a brand new self-contained product. Oscilloscopes and other electronic instruments, mainframes, etc have features that can only be unlocked in software so that’s kind of similar, but there’s a major difference; those pieces of hardware were developed with the top-end model in mind, then features were cut or limited in software or firmware for the lower end models. The Digitakt would be the opposite, they would actually be adding features not present in the base firmware so it’s a very different business model. Also, I’m assuming that if they did do this for the Digitakt, almost every owner would buy the upgrade. You’d be crazy not to if it included new juicy features. Why not just continue building onto a single firmware and let the new features sell more units rather than developing two separate firmwares with separate bugfixes, troubleshooting, etc???

That’s now how development works, sadly.

You get the money from a small subset of users but you have to test the product in its entirety.

This is exactly why Elektron realized their “premium Overbridge” feature was a mistake and incorporated the feature into the base costs, they require full labor costs for developers, and features for a small amount of premium users have other opportunity costs for what they could otherwise be working on.