Our progression with a hardware only - completely improvised - Live-Techno-Set

Since me and a friend decided to play with hardware only, we have made huge progressions in music, gear and in playing live.

This set was our first “proper” gig at a bigger club. We make live improvised techno, that goes in the direct of deep/dark/hypnotic techno. Thus a bigger club, with bigger speakers and a proper sub is required.

We played for 1.5h, rocking up with only our gear and our own motivation.

In the heart of our setup we run the Dark-Trinity: Rytm, Analog4 and the Octatrack.
Additionally we have a small modular system, staring Clouds, an Access Virus A, a TT303, Streichfett and a KeyStep to control the synths. Effects we run a Flashback delay pedal and a NanoVerb with the preset “Taj Mahal” :smiley:

We started with no Elektron gear, thinking they were too much of a step-up, and not where we were yet. We progressed over about half a year to what we have now. It was not necessarily a decision for a specific sound, but rather the LIVE capabilities. We moved away from an MPC1000, a Minilouge, a BS2, Volca Sample and some other smaller instruments, realizing for LIVE the sound doesn’t need to be absolutely amazing. Rather when playing live you need to be flexible and dynamic in the performance.

With the introduction of the Elektron gear we geared towards a completely improvised set. And the flexibility is what you need when playing live. It gives us the possibility to move in very different directions - of course never knowing where we will end up at.

With a lot of practice, we are very proud with the set we played last Friday. Maybe you guys might enjoy this, and inspire you to continue to create music - especially LIVE electronic music!

If you have some questions about the setup, I’d be welcome to answer questions!

Edit: We are based in Berlin and are always looking to play! Let us know if you are interested!

14 Likes

nice stuff! tasty hihats, and cool basslines :slight_smile: I’m 22 minutes in…
here’s a few videos from my Octatrack-centered setup, I’ve recently aquired an A4 so it’s transforming into something else now :stuck_out_tongue:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK1AgX7nH-vL1aJ9eFYJ7Uw
I’m from Buenos Aires but I might be stopping by Berlin in August… in case you like my music, maybe we can do a gig somewhere

1 Like

Nice music also :slight_smile: Like the minimal but groovy vibe.

Yeah let me know!

This is a really cool set man. Definitely one of the best live Elektron sets I’ve heard over the years. I like how you’ve got a smooth flow but also lots of variation and movement.

I’m working towards doing my first live techno set early in the new year. So far in my practices I’ve been using Ableton and Push 2 to do a because it’s a “safe” bet and I can use some parts of tracks I’ve made which I really like. But I’ve also been experimenting with an approach based around Digitakt and a couple of other things plugged into a DJ mixer, without Ableton.

A few of questions I was curious about if you don’t mind please. Are you using any master effects across all the channels? Like any compression or limiting? The sound quality is excellent. Did you make a multi track recording or just record the stereo output of the mixer? How did you use the Octatrack, was it loaded with many sounds and patterns in advance or did you mostly use it for live sampling of your other gear?

Again, great set would love to hear more do you have a Facebook page? :slight_smile:

Will check this bad boy out tonight

A few of questions I was curious about if you don’t mind please. Are you using any master effects across all the channels? Like any compression or limiting? The sound quality is excellent.

Nope. We use the EQ on the mixer, which was essential, as we did a sound-check and noticed a lot of frequencies, that we had to cut. We used three sends: a delay, reverb and Clouds.

Did you make a multi track recording or just record the stereo output of the mixer?

It the stereo sum of the mixer and a room mic, that we mixed and eq’ed a little in post. But very minimal, the raw file is already of excellent quality.

How did you use the Octatrack, was it loaded with many sounds and patterns in advance or did you mostly use it for live sampling of your other gear?

I didn’t have any patterns loaded, I used one patter for the whole set. I had a little pool of sounds (200) that I knew could work. It was used mainly for live-sampling though. And utility! The Virus and the Streichfett were controlled from the OT and of course the master clock!

Have a look at my answers here, it’s a little more detailed: https://www.reddit.com/r/synthesizers/comments/7jb2w6/our_progression_with_a_hardware_only_completely/

There I describe the setup a little. If you have more questions, just ask!

6 Likes

Thanks so much for the info, it’s really useful and I really appreciate it!

Hi bro i have some questions but first want to say congratulations! for the set the music is just powerfull. i notice how good sound this and the flow, builds and constructions have attitude. So the music you are delivering is really consistent as they should. the amount of energy and frequencies are top notch. Good Work!

questions are what roll in your music or parts came from the waldorf? and do you recommend the streitchfet i always want one and i think is time to get one for some strings…

do you prepare in advance the low end frequencies for the club experience they use a limiter? for the system or is the way your tracks were created?

Thanks

This is really good stuff - myself and my friend are working on a very similar concept.

Hey!

Was listening Your set!
It is amazing.
Did you really managed to play like this after in about half year having this hardware? Impressive :sunny:
I´m planning to buy some hardware for myself soon as well for playing live and producing.
I was just wondering, for how long could it take to be able to play like this
I am not giving myself any time limit, i dont care if it takes 6 months or 2 years or more but i have very big passion for techno plus i have some musical backround and quite a lot of time in my hands.

Cheers,
Kristi

1 Like

Just discovered this set, very impressive and lovely sound! Also read your reddit post, thanks a lot for the insights.
I like the concept of a live set you have with everything being lost at the end.