OTO Machines FX - BIM BAM BOUM

Anyone got the midi sidechain working nicely on the Boum yet?
Not sure I have quite gotten my head around the fairly cryptic settings

Im working on this now , ill update everyone on this thread today. Releasing the Max4Live Device for Boum today.

1 Like

I got it working. I just had to RTFM about what the various flashing button midi filter settings meant in a bit more detail.
It works really nicely.

1 Like

Anyone buy from JUNO in the UK?
They have a few BAM units at a damn good price.
Me being in Australia, wondering what they’re like to deal with in respect to delivery time, faulty returns…

Yep at least to Ireland. I use them regularly , they are great!

1 Like

Yup, I have ordered from them before. Pretty quick shipping to Chicago. Good experience.

2 Likes

I just realized that there’s no MIDI THRU (or OUT that can act as a (soft) THRU)? I’m surprised and disappointed.

Very good service- returns within one week if you don’t like it or it is faulty - if return is after a week they guarantee repair

1 Like

Yeah, it’s a bit of a bummer, especially if you want to both use the front panel and an external controller.

Do they still hold up in the year 2021?

There are so many reverbs/delays around there; what do you think about BIM/BAM?

And regarding BOUM: I like that it has a compressor, anyone compared the heat with it? And whats your preference?

Thanks!

1 Like

The BIM and BAM are inspired by the late 70s / early 80s digital machines, after all, so as long as one likes that kind of sound, I think they still very much hold up. I’ve got both and after going through quite a few reverbs, BAM is probably my favourite of them all. Quadraverb is a close second, however, and with that price difference (I paid 80€ and 350€ for mine, respectively), I sometimes think I might let the BAM go. Then again, I absolutely love reverbs, so will probably just hold on to it. As for delays, I tend to like fairly simple delays, so I haven’t used the BIM all that much, to be honest.

Also, you might find these threads useful:

5 Likes

well they’re meant to sound like effects from the 80’s. so that’s up to you and your love of those sounds, I guess…

there are comparable pedals (going for the same sound). but I think these offer more features than most of the competition. there’s a level of abstraction that you have to deal with though. it’s not WYSIWYG.

there’s definitely some around. possibly above in this very thread. possibly by me. Google and YouTube are also your friend. mostly I’d say they’re good for different things. BOUM has a compressor but Heat has EQ, filter, and class compliant audio (plus Overbridge, if you can run it). I tend to run drums through BOUM, and mixes through Heat.

1 Like

I have got all 3

I like a them lot- I see them more like small studio effects than guitar pedals

2 Likes

Thanks, I already have analog heat MK2, and strymon volante + nightsky, and wondering if adding the BOUM/BIM/BAM would make sense.

I thought they were one knob per function and no menudiving, but when taking a closer look on youtube, it seems there is still some menu/setting diving…

I see them as pretty different effects from Volante and NightSky. and yeah, the Heat and BOUM differ in some ways. that doesn’t mean you need all of these options though. that’s your call.

They are very easy to use

No menu diving and one knob per function

The only downside is remembering all the schematics of the knobs and buttons combination

It is not an issue for me as I have a good memory- one manual read and i was good to go independently

These are the things I like

• analog sounding
  • easy to deploy on desk
  • no menu diving-
  • Bam sounds beautiful
  • Boum super easy to use
  • Bim is cool for dubtechno and experimental sound

Hope it helps

2 Likes

it’s not really menu diving, but I can never remember what all the little dots mean. especially for the options where there’s an array of dots on the top and bottom of the display. a quick scroll through them typically reminds me when my ears hear what’s happening.

that’s hardly knob per function though. I mean, there’s a “data” knob that takes on multiple different roles… it’s not far off and it’s not horrible. just mildly annoying sometimes.

6 Likes

Yes, I sold it because that was enough to annoy me… then i rebought it because I long for the old digital delay/interesting analog preamp sound it gives, alongside external LFOs automation.

I can live with it because there’s not a ton in the same market. The BAM I think i can live without but we’ll see. I wasn’t as much of a fan of the Heat but might try to fill the hole with a BOUM.

Definitely interested in what they have a’cooking now!

2 Likes

So which one is the best of the thee you think? BAM?

For what application?

2 Likes