OTO Machines FX - BIM BAM BOUM

In my modular rig I have a delay with a resonant filter in the feedback path that is really fun to play dub style. I’m sure a reverb version of that would be just as fun. Just be careful if you aren’t already in to modulars - they’re a money pit.

1 Like

The effect is summed to mono when using stereo inputs, so if you’re using one input for mono it won’t matter what output you use as they both essentially contain the same content.

1 Like

So, now its a bit in the wild. Some OTO Boum experiences here ? I have the BIM & BAM and they are by far my favorite effects. Now I want something to warm up the master bus and looking at heat & the OTO Boum. Decisions…

1 Like

Hi,

just bought a BOUM. I have the same project than you. I will tell you my thought about it. If it’s as good as BIM and BAM it’s gonna be perfect :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Perfect ! Looking forward to it. In the youtube demos it seems a bit rough. But maybe its just their use of it.

It can be rough (SO rough !) be it can be subtle too. I am preparing audio demos of simple compression, sidechain compression without distortion (or just some boost).
What I can say for the moment is that the hi cut filter is a beauty, you have to be smooth with the drive (if you want a subtle warming).

2 Likes

I’m curious to hear about the comparison of BOUM and Heat. Also, to be fair, being judicious with your use of the drive knob on heat is also required to keep things from going wild. It’s hard to not want to keep cranking it up though!

I’ve been looking at the BAM as either a send reverb, or end of the line reverb. I’ll probably have to save up a little before buying. It seems to be well-liked all around.

Unfortunately, I can’t compare AH (I never used one) and BOUM but I’d like too. I choose to test BOUM first for the built in compressor feature.

BAM is a great reverb, very versatile and easy to use. Can be light and clear or lush and full of character. Freeze function is fun too.

1 Like

More feedback from Boum would be nice.

Hi, I am on it but just have it only for 3 weeks and I did not have a lot of time. I still experiment things before giving a good feedback :wink:

1 Like

No worries. For me would be interesting to have it as a “warming unit” on the master bus(maybe as parallel effect with the dry wet und not going to crazy with the distortion/compression). That it can do nice mayhem is clear. Just deciding boum or heat … first… :slight_smile:

In the meantime, here it is the official demo.

1 Like

I have fallen in love with mine after a short period of it playing hard-to-get =)
I like the subtle settings more than the extreme ones. I always feel the demos don’t do it justice as they often go into extreme territory. I have no comparison to any other hardware compressor - but the topic itself has a learning curve and requires careful listening. it’s a fantastic device and well worth the dough. the lack of a resonating filter doesn’t bug me one bit - only caveat for me is the HPF only having set frequencies and a connection between distortion and compression I don’t fully understand - but obvs - that’s me
I’m using it to shape percussion transients, make sine bass sing or just for the overall mix as it really glues things together to my ears. highly recommended - would love to hear a side by side comparison to the heat (if that’s even possible in a meaningful way, as the heat is no compressor and the BOUM ain’t no filter unit)

6 Likes

Any news? Feedback on the boom has stagnated for a month on every forum now… How do you like it?

Yes, I adopted it. I use it as master warming/filter unit or synth bus sidechain compressing (and warming too). It gives me exactly what I expected in terms of sound.

1 Like

Could you guys post some a/b clips on drum buses? I was thinking of putting one behind the tempest, since its master dist/comp combo is not very usable…

Did you see what this person did with a volca Beats?

7 Likes

Yeah, listened 10 times to that (sounds pretty good right?) - however, in these vids they keep tweaking wildly all the time, I’d like to hear some more clips of more regular use, dry/wet a few times… But I think I’ll go for it, on the last BIM update they implemented a thru mode, just pushing your signal through the input limiter & 12bit converters, sounds so good on the Tempest. I guess I like OTO, I’ll probably get the boum.

/sunday brainfart

1 Like

Let us know how it goes. I think subtle processing it will have its own tone. I have the softube ssl 4000E and 9000k émulations and by the time you track things out they have their own vibe to them even at low levels

1 Like

Hi,

here is 3 quick demo of the BOUM sidechain on a bassline, a Hi cut sweep and the 4 lo cut settings on the same bassline

7 Likes