OTO Bim OR Zen Delay?

I’m juggling whether to get a Zen Delay or OTO Bim as a delay box for my synths and drum machines.

Both of these sound amazing, and it seems to me that the Zen is a bit better for live mangling of sounds… which to me is an appealing feature.

I’m being offered a used OTO Bim for rather cheap ($350), while for the Zen I’d probably have to buy new somewhere, so the cost difference is significant.

What would you guys recommend?

I’ve seen quite a lot of people mention issues with the Zen delay in that it whines when the filter is activated. Might be an issue for some but then I’ve heard that the Bim can work not so nicely with certain high frequency stuff.

1 Like

For that price I’d pounce on the BIM.

I was initially put off by the slightly non-standard UI w/regards to the delay time, but the sound is just fantastic. The LFO is such a fantastic tool for sculpting the effect from character to mayhem.

I know the Zen is really interesting, as well, but for myself, I’ve gone through a wealth of delays (euro: DLD, mimeophon, rainmaker… also Volante, source audio Nemesis etc.) and I think I just like the BIM the best, sound-wise.

As for tweakability, the freeze, LFO settings, delay time, feedback etc give it a lot of mileage. I could look into doing a short demo unless this needs to be decided right away :slight_smile:

This reads like such a fanboy message, doesn’t it? :roll_eyes:

7 Likes

I have the BIM and Zen. I also prefer the sound of the BIM, and the midi implementation is much better so you can really glitch it out. That being said, the Zen is really fun and hands on and the filters are excellent (As long as you avoid the whine zones) - if you’re using it in a dj style set the Zen might win, but for studio use BIM all the way.

In the spirit of Kenny Beats, I tried not overthinking shit and just did a live tweak demo. This is focused on making it bug out and tweak it live. So the dubby sides, best chorus settings etc. are not in this video. :slight_smile: WARNING : Loud feedback around 3:35!

11 Likes

OTO bim all the way , especially with this low price!

I’ve had both. Only the BIM remains. Great device. Reliable. Creative. Sounds divine.

2 Likes

this. no questions. have one and love it. could always pick up a Zen later if you’re not happy.

Thanks to all for their detailed reply. The BIM really sounds great!

I’m actually getting a used BIM and Zoia for around $660, both in super good condition. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

Sounds like an excellent deal! I’ve been interested in BIM for quite a long time and while I’ve been waiting for a good deal 2nd hand, I’ve gone through a number of delay pedals - and haven’t really been 100% satisfied with any of them. Most recently Meris Polymoon.

My problem (probably) is that I’m not always one for ”subtle FX”. Rather I want the FX to have the ability to change the sound significantly. I mean, I’ve had pedals where I only hear a big enough difference at 3/4 of the mix knob, for example. Just doesn’t make sense to me.

I’m probably asking too much of pedals (realised new synths won’t write tunes for me either, weird :grinning: ) but I’m hoping BIM will be the answer to my delay ”needs”.

2 Likes

Have you seen the one being sold here for €400? https://www.elektronauts.com/t/fs-eu-cz-home-studio-sale/103024?u=tasker

1 Like

Yep, just sent them a message. :+1:

2 Likes

I just came across this thread, because I’m in a similar mind to the OP.

The Zen delay sounds utterly fantastic to my ears, especially here:

I think it’s the tweak-ability of the filter that makes all the difference. It sounds filthy, but in the most wonderful way.

The Zen sounds great in isolation, say for noodling with Eurorack I can imagine the hours flying by, but am wondering if in the context of an actual track with a more dense arrangement, if I were ever to finish one, it might not be so useful. How good is the Zen at doing cleaner, more traditional delay (which the BIM seems to do wonderfully)?

Conversely, how dirty can the BIM get?

Not a vast difference in price. I can’t make a decision on this!

Good question, for me the Zen delay sounds too “digital”/computerish compared to BIM, dont know if that valve is really helping

Really? To me, from the demo’s I’ve seen it sounds the opposite way round. Just shows how individual all this is.

1 Like

The Ninja Tune Zen Delay is a fun, inspiring, and great sounding instrument in its own right. I purchased one less than 2 weeks ago and can say its one of the best FX units I have ever used. Recently, I sold my Hologram Microcosm and a Chase Bliss Mood. The Zen Delay is very different than both those pedals but it is also more hands-on, immediate, and funner to use. The Zen Delay can sound “analog” or “digital” depending on how you use it. The bottom line is that it sounds great. If you ever wanted to make dub type of music without using a ton of outboard equipment or multiple plugs in a DAW, this FX unit might be for you. I highly recommend the Ninja Tune Zen Delay.

2 Likes

Yeah I agree,
I was looking at both and at the end bought BIM, but ZEN also sounds amazing. For me, BIM was more musical and deeper, as you also have nice freeze and you can set that feedback is not limited and can go wild. Disto mode can make it very dirty.

I haven"t play Zen delay in person, but looks like more hands-on approach which is great. Dirtyness is too much in the granular field for my taste. I think you cannot overdrive it too far.

For more dirty and analog-feel delay one should look into EHX Memory Man with Hazarai or Moog MF-104M

It is all about personal taste, both machines are exceptional

1 Like

Ha ha, this is the classic Internet forum thing isn’t it?

Torn individual with GAS: “Should I get A or B”?

Rest of the world: “Get A and B. And possibly C as well!”
:rofl:

8 Likes

I´ve had the BIM, and sold it when I got the ZEN. For me the playability is important, so I kept the ZEN. It truly sounds terrific, and as someone mentioned, really good for dub echos if you set it up in a chain.

That drive is good, but I personally always just use the Analog Heat for a drive, sounds much better IMO.

1 Like

Wow, the mood and micrososm are also pretty great though! Too bad you sold m!