OTmkII: Printed Manual?

I’m hoping the new Octatrack mkII will come with a printed manual.

Over the years i’ve noticed some manufacturers have been enticed by the idea of saving a few dollars by just providing a download link for a pdf manual.

I personally prefer the printed manual to keep on the coffee table and read at leisure, whilst using the pdf for searches and such like.

7 Likes

It’s not only about saving money. It’s about using less paper I think, which is a good thing :wink:

Can’t you print it out yourself?

1 Like

Ink and paper are not the most natural products.
Manual also adds some weight to the package…
And changes with each new OS.
Plus once read from front page to cover, I don’t need it much, I found.

While I was super happy to have a shiny MD manual, I must say that I haven’t missed it for Analog series.

5 Likes

I personally miss manuals as well. (if we are concerned about the environment, then maybe on recycled paper? That would also add some distinct feeling)

And I definitely don’t like printed quick start guides. I usually don’t find in them what I really want.

Okay, I admit that this is a 1st world problem.

1 Like

I don’t buy printed newspapers, journals, nor books, but a manual i would use almost daily, I do require a printed manual from Elektron - well, that would be my preference.

Recycled paper would also be a preference. Slightly more expensive for Elektron to produce, but their users are paying a premium price for a premium product, and should be given the respect of a printed manual.

Companies that cite ‘environmental friendliness’ as regards the lack of a printed manual with their products could easily just print on recycled paper. It’s a manual that would be used everyday. Quick-start guides however are not worth the paper they are printed on.

3 Likes

:sweat_smile: And recto only !
I :heart: PDF.

1 Like

Good point. A printed manual can be old within a month or so.

2 Likes

From the otmk2 page

Miscellaneous
16 GB high speed CompactFlash card included
2 GB of Loopmasters samples on the CF card
USB cable included
Printed user’s manual included

Wish this would be the case for any synth company. I got every day a 1/2 kg of commercials in my mailbox. That’s a waste of paper. But if I pay 1k or more, I really like to have a printed version of the complete handbook(Besides of the pdf ).

6 Likes

I personally prefer PDFs due to printed manuals becoming outdated by OS updates etc. But having the choice would be good. Why can’t manufacturers sell printed manuals separately for their products? Just keep the manuals priced fairly (ie no greedy pricing on them, just to cover the printing costs) and IMO it would be win-win for everyone.

5 Likes

ROLAND just adds a extra page for every update into the box. But the handbooks are super short. I actually like elektron handbooks but they are sometimes not complete. (expl. A4, some things I only found out dou to my own research, YouTube,this forum).

But paper is super cheap i would love to have a printed handbook for every gear I buy. There a countless options to be environment friendly that make more sense.

If I’m working without the computer turned on (and no iPad nearby which is most of the time), having a printed manual, even if slightly out of date, makes life a lot easier. I’m not scrolling/searching through the OT manual on my phone, life’s too short and my eyes are not that good. Even with the computer on, I tend to grab the printed manual first.

Maybe it’s an age thing…

3 Likes

Yup I much prefer a printed manual for in studio when sitting in front of boxes.

I got the A4 and AR printed by a online store.

I wish company’s would do a standard manual that ships with unit then updates could be a separate pages that could be tagged on as they come out.

3 Likes

+1 for selling printed manuals separately at a reasonable price. I don’t use printed manuals much, as they’re beginning to be outdated the moment they’re printed and I fail to see the point to chop down trees for that. I would love a nicely formatted manual for Kindle or other ebook readers. Easy on the eyes, searchable, highly portable and no problems with updates. What more could you ask for?

3 Likes

Est ce que y’aurais en français ??

Maybe one day…

The MK1 is still shipping with a manual no?why wouldn’t they include one with mk2if it costs nearly twice as much?

I printed out all the manuals. It’s a sweet big binder🙂

I got a manual for my digitakt printed by these people https://www.doxdirect.com/ for less than £8 delivered. They did a superb job. I chose A5 paperback with b/w inside as there is no colour in it and you get a free colour cover for which I used the cover of the pdf in the blue it comes in. I added Elektron Digitakt User Manual to the spine and got them to print the spine same colour as front and back cover…got it within 3 days too. Will be getting my Heat manual and latest overbridge (which requires colour printing) shortly too… https://www.doxdirect.com/ They are in UK

erm, didn’t the heat come with a manual? Mine did…

Maybe they stopped including them as mine only arrived last week and there was no manual.