Other kit the same size as mk1 black boxes

And - to have something to discuss - maybe a second tier category of gear that’s not really close enough in size, OCD-wise, but that fits practically scale-wise? As in: Smaller then A4/Rytm Mk2s, they’re just another size, and bigger the the Volcas (they’re just too small). Am I messing up your OCD system?

1 Like

The Xenophone HyperSynth is very close, and no bigger.
Dimensions: 12.9" L x 6.5" W x 1.9" H (32.8 cm x 16.7 cm x 5 cm)

2 Likes

I actually have OT, Tetra, Rytm in row 1 and Avalon, VolcaFM and a blank in row 2 on the desk, the middle section has 3x smaller synths in between the Elektrons (a Micromonsta is in the post to fit above the volca). So OCD intact for the moment!

4 Likes

Nice, black too which is also a requirement :rofl:

For me the AS-1 always feels like a good fit between the Mk1 sized gear. It’s W 267 x D 177 x H 68 mm

2 Likes

MPC500 as well

via @sezare56

4 Likes

Ah - already have a 2500 :slight_smile:

Bass Bot v2 which you can get in black has almost OT’s footprint (it’s a little smaller).

Shruthi XT has the same length and height but shallower depth. XT is also available in black.

Mutable Ambika in metal enclosure: pretty close (but with slight tilt)

2 Likes

@DonovanDwyer nice, don’t see too many of those around!
@Schnork that’s interesting, I thought the BB v2 would be much smaller actually. Funny enough I used to have a Shruti XT which I bought and then sold before I had a clue what I was doing (some may say I still don’t).

In the interests of adding to the list there is the obvious Oktakontrol too

1 Like

Got my measuring tape and it is indeed a little smaller.

Bass Bot v2 is 30,5 cm x 12,5 cm x 3 cm / 12" x 4,9" x 1,1" (without knobs).

OT is 34 x 18 cm x 4,5 cm / 13,3" x 7" x 1,7" (without knobs).

1 Like

Close enough! Any extra centimetres can always be padded out with an esoteric stomp box eh :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I believe there are a few black face plates on Reverb, shipping from Australia. I have one on the way!

The Novation Launchkey Mini MK3 is about the same size as the OT.

OT is underneath the LM

MFB Tanzbär MK1 and Dreadbox Erebus MK3 might fit the bill here…

@ncarwtrightaudio that’s awesome I’m jealous. The prices on MM now though… :fearful:
@Tchu great addition to the thread!
@caffeinated I had been toying with the idea of a tanzmaus to fit in my middle column of smaller syths, in the end Micromonsta took that spot. Tanzbar is 333x167x60 so that’s almost exact. Thank you for the GAS!

EDIT: with the wooden cheeks it looks almost exact for OT mk1 (with apologies to an internet user for stealing this picture). I was just thinking surely OT, RYTM & Tanzbar would be overkill…

New 62hp palette case isn’t far off the right size - nice live setup in about 750mm x 500mm with OT & Rytm front plus 303/RAT and modular behind. Great thing about the Palette is it can literally be any synth I want (or can afford!).

4 Likes

Close, just a couple of cm difference…
320x150x42

2 Likes

Also pretty close is the 4ms Pod 64X eurorack case.

Width: 329.7mm (12.98")
Height: 159.5mm (6.28")
Depth: 57mm (2.24")

https://4mscompany.com/p.php?p=979

*Edit and the Intellijel Palette 62

Width: 324.4mm
Height: 204.4mm
Depth: 51.3mm

1 Like

I’ve decided that I no longer need mine, but the Yamaha RM602 is an analog mixer that is precisely the same width as the OT et al.

2 Likes