Other boxes' sample packs on M:S

Beginner question here: can I use sound packs for other Elektron boxes on the Model: Samples? I’m specifically interested in:

Rytm - Radical Bits
Octatrack - Central Sidstation and Nintari Flashback
Machinedrum - Arcadix

Thanks!

Yes and no. There is a difference between sound packs and sample packs.

For example: sound packs for Rytm will probably involve the synthesis engines of the Rytm. Samples may only by optional when it comes to the Rytm. The same holds true for the other machines.

Of course when the pack contains samples you can use them on the M:S.

Update: Just checked “Radical Bits”. It seems that this one just contains samples. So I guess it will work fine on the M:S.

Regarding Radical Bits, since the blurb says “created solely by using a Nintendo Game Boy”, I presumed it would be samples only rather than synth patches.

Also presumed that the OT packs are necessarily samples, but I’ve never used an OT so I didn’t know if there might be some additional OT-specific way to handle them.

As for the MD packs, I have no idea.

As long as it’s a “sample” pack, you can use it on the M:S. If I’m recalling correctly, the Transfer app automatically converts the files into the preferred format (24-bit, 48kHz) for the M:S.

Unfortunately the web shop does not seem to distinguish between sample packs and sound packs.

It should be mentioned if you go into the pack itself. But, if you stick to packs for the devices that are samplers, that should be a good start.

It’s 16 bit 48kHz mono for the M:S (same as the Digitakt). Only the OT can use 24 bit.

@alspacka: Program Transfer converts samples automatically. For best quality you can also convert the samples with another program first. Especially if the source samples are stereo the automatic process may not deliver the best results (due to phasing issues).

Regarding the OT packs: yes, these are pure samples (16 or 24bit / 44.1kHz / mono or stereo).

1 Like

Woops! Thanks - I wasn’t sure about 24-bit. It seemed wrong even as I typed my response.

2 Likes

Central Sidstation comes with some patterns and scenes (a nice trend which seemed to die out) but most of what you’re buying is wav samples.

Bit of an old post but… so i have a load of samples i created for Akai MPX16 which are 16bit mono 44khz .If i transferred them would it up the 44 to 48khz and if so would that not mess the sound up? As in you can go down but not up? I’m vey new to MS so bare with me on this.

Fwiw I indiscriminately load wav samples onto the M:S w/o looking at their quality I don’t feel like I have a problem. I really don’t think youll lose quality going up but you certainly wont gain it.

I am no expert on this type of thing tho. Just lazy and and reporting my experience lol

1 Like