OT taking sample files from iPad Pro

Hi folks, got an iPad Pro not long ago as I wanted to retire my 2014 MacBook Pro from out of house use, yet use it exclusively for music based stuff. Anyway, I’ve hardly touched my MacBook since as I’ve become quite fond of using the iPad as a computer with a Magic Keyboard and Trackpad. Before I pay for a USB-C to USB-A adaptor, does anyone have any experience sharing files with an iPad Pro and the OT? Does it show up as an external drive in files?

Thanks in advance!

It works for me with an iPhone 7, should work with an iPad pro !
I used the Camera kit USB3

4 Likes

The iPad Pro doesn’t even need an adapter. Any USB-B to USB-C cable work. Or, if you have a USB-C hub, plug the supplied Octatrack cable into that.

2 Likes

I am not sure it works the same way with the M1 ipad pro

Apparently @Mistercharlie confirmed it.
Just wanted to say it worked for me with an IOS thing, and also with an Android.
Which is pretty cool for me, willing not using regular computers…

Easy copy/paste files with IOS or Android.

1 Like

Yes, M1 iPads work the same. Any iPad with a USB-C port, including the latest Air and the new Mini. They all work with USB audio, file storage, midi, keyboards and mice, hubs, etc.

It’s just USB. One oddity-there’s no eject option, so firmware updates that are triggered by ejecting the device don’t work.

I froze an OP-Z trying to do this, and bust a Kindle so bad it took a week to recover.

Just a FYI I have had problems loading samples from my iPad to OT.

I got loads of corrupted files and some weird error.

I think a few other people have had the same issue.

Good to know…as I want to buy a 12.1 inch M1 iPad pro soon

You need a USB-C to USB-B cable to connect to an Octatrack

Does the USB-C to B cable work on the M1 Ipad pro?

1 Like

Already answered:

The iPad Pro doesn’t even need an adapter. Any USB-B to USB-C cable work. Or, if you have a USB-C hub, plug the supplied Octatrack cable into that.

Edit: also, check Apple’s support page. It’s all there.

1 Like

Yeah i got that but the Apple support page talks about usbc to usb a

I am not sure the usb-c to usb-b works unless you tested and can confirm it

USB-B is just a connector type, there is no difference in protocol between USB-A/B/C, the letters denote the connector. Differences in protocol are between USB 1<.x>/2<.x>/3<.x>, USB storage mode as the OT uses is a standard protocol, like USB audio, so any USB host supporting those (which the iPad does) should work.

2 Likes

Hmmm… this is persuading me to just bring out the old MacBook if I’m going to transfer samples. Not being able to safely eject and ending up with corrupted files sounds pretty whack.