OT-style "scenes" Method for Digitakt: freeze delay, 1-bar looper, dynamic fx presets

I’ve been working to bring the baby-Octatrack FX “scenes” I’d been making on Syntakt back to Digitakt.

Most of what I’d worked out on ST with collaboration from fellow Elektronauts—freeze delay (up to 1 bar, persists across pattern changes), dynamic effects presets, chorus, resonator—can work on DT and presumably Digitone (don’t own one) by building on MIDI Loopback.

Updating to add: When using MIDI Loopback, turn off transport and clock receive in MIDI SYNC menu

I made a video tutorial (it’s jam-packed), but the even tighter executive summary:

1. “Performance trigs” (0% probability, p-locks cued with [TRG]+[YES]) are great on DT, for tracks like vocal chops, and the following. ( @Gerry_Dorsey’s idea)
  2. Standard Loopback (midi out to in) pointed to MIDI FX channel lets you make preset trigs with up to 8 settings plus LFO, like chorus (uses NRPN), reverb or delay with filter sweeps, fx on external audio
  3. Setting up 3 MIDI tracks (A->FX, B-> select audio tracks, C-> A+B, not overlapping VALs) in a double loopback enables complex fx “scenes” using 8 total CCs for audio tracks or FX channel, plus LFO.
  4. Freeze delay—an up-to-1-bar delay buffer you fill with a scene—is bananas: you can mangle the audio, play tracks over it like a looper, leave it running through pattern changes ( @tdmusic worked this last bit out on ST).
  5. FX scenes play very nicely with 1/8-scale sequencer, too, letting you program 32-bar, or longer with conditional trigs, for build-ups, risers, and turnaround effects.

It’s a fair amount to set up (and hold in a template), but I think makes a really nice complement to control-all and mutes for performing with the DT. (And DN? Anyone feel inspired to test it out on theirs?)

Anyway, hope this might give someone an idea or two, happy to discuss, troubleshoot, and work out more uses here…

13 Likes

Wow!!! Lots of great stuff here!!! Don’t forget to turn off Clock and Transport receive when using Midi Loopback!!!

2 Likes

Thanks! But also yikes, I forgot entirely about transport and clock (and appreciate the reminder), which I imagine could cause some problems—will see about adding a note to the video in hopes it keeps folks out of trouble.

1 Like

Yeah I completely forgot the last time i tried to do it and the DT just freezes up.

Super cool! Can’t wait to try this out on my Digitakt when I find time, great work :sunglasses:

1 Like

One extra point for Freeze Delay setup, I mention too quickly in the video that the sent CC values for delay time are offset by 1 from the values on the machine. (On DEL page, it’s 1-128, and the CC values sent are 0-127.) The difference was enough for me to initially think there was a latency problem. For reference if folks want to set it up:

Delay Time LFO Mult LFO Speed Delay Time CC value (Delay -1)
Whole 1 64 127
Half 2 64 63
Quarter 4 64 31
8th 8 64 15
16th 16 64 7
Dotted quarter 4 48 47
Dotted 8th 8 48 23
Dotted 16th 16 48 11