OT - sound quality

Beat me too it - I love this thread (but for the wrong reasons) lol

1 Like

This thread makes me want to buy an OctaTrack.

Just so I can post a double blind test and eat popcorn while the results come in.

people still love and pay high prices for the MPC 1000 that came out seven years before the OT, and does far less (but also does things the OT canā€™t, or in different ways at least). ditto for the 1000, 2000, 60, etcā€¦ some people have multiple MPCā€™s, primarily because they sound different from one another, have different workflows, etc. I see the OT as no different. if you think it sounds shit, move on. simple as that. nobody needs to prove how flat or neutral the box sounds, especially since itā€™s a goddamn sampler whose sole purpose is mangling the christ out of sounds.

5 Likes

I realized a long time ago that fun and creativity is a lot more important than quality.

And often I have the most fun with cheap devices that are not exactly known for their quality.

3 Likes

Indeed. I use a Mirage, and EPS and a Waveterm A for sampling. I also use an Octatrack and an MPC Live 2. I think they all sound beautiful.

4 Likes

If you want perfect sound, use a computer, a super duper expensive DAC and Neve consoleā€¦ hang on, the Neve console colours sound too :slight_smile:

I bet thereā€™d be issues if theyā€™d have updated the DACs in the MKII and ā€˜ruinedā€™ the OT sound. :expressionless:

I already moved on some time ago. However, the OT concept is unique, thats why I keep going on about the sound quality. Different sounding is subjective and nothing new, even in the beginning on the early samplers like Fairlight vs Synclavier.

Anyway, I am planning to get the Gotharmanā€™s Little deFormer 3 MkII and the Isla S2400 to my sampler arsenal.

From clean to not clean.

1 Like

This is exactly why people donā€™t know whatā€™s going on, by making sound quality subjective instead of being objective.

Well, donā€™t use the Octatrack then. Donā€™t try to make the guitar sound like a piano. This is kind of like that discussion where someone was complaining about the new version of the Novation Circuit being like the Novation Circuit.

2 Likes

So you think that SidStationā€¦ has the best sound quality of all Elektron devicesā€¦

ā€¦those grainy square wavesā€¦

Okay, now Iā€™ve heard everything.

You also claim that other Elektron devices have a bad sound quality. Youā€™re probably the only person in the world who thinks that. A4, DT and DN have all received nothing but praise from their sound quality (ie. low aliasing, low distortion, high SNR).

Actually, youā€™re not even talking about sound quality here when you claim that Elektron devices sound bad. Youā€™re really talking about your preference for a certain kind of crispy sound aesthetic with more high frequencies than the average person can stand, and which you then mistake for hifi sound. According to your own words, youā€™re not even making music but your short sound snippets or whatever, so your idea of what sounds good for that purpose is not at all the same thing as what would sound good for music. This is about you being a special user with special needs that are vastly different from what the average user needs and perceives as a good sound. Any possible deficiencies that the Octatrack has in its sound quality doesnā€™t actually have anything to do with your view of the Octatrack, even though you think so.

Or maybe this is whatā€™s going on here, because many of your claims and demands (ā€œno youtube! my ears are better than anyone elseā€™s! if someone disagrees with me theyā€™re just a fanboy!ā€) are pretty outlandish.

5 Likes

Using track 8 as a master track does color the sound some. Mainly because of the filter, just donā€™t use the master track option.

1 Like

You said that you ā€œtrust your earsā€. That is subjective. You didnā€™t seem to care about actual data of someone having measured the sound quality, which would have been objective.

There is nothing wrong with the OTā€™s sound

8 Likes

Makes no sense what you are telling here. The most simple adjustment you can do on a sampler is already sound design. Like a sketchbook for sound.

In itā€™s own right. The Sidstation is not a recording or playback instrument.

Hmmā€¦ I have no gripes about the OTā€™s sound quality. 24bit is good. The filter being on by default effecting the sound is something Iā€™ve heard of but Iā€™ve never cared to take it off really.

I get the tropes of dated things but for me the OT doesnā€™t disappoint. Timeless, Pinnacle!

2 Likes

To trust your ears is all that matters!

Well if the data was based on a overview between different hardware samplers we are getting more specifics and nothing moreā€¦

And what about the A4 then? :wink:

The difference.

Why Elektron did not upgrade the Octa with the Digitakt hardware ?
Are the Mk2 units old stock upgraded with minimal costs?

1 Like

As has been mentioned countless times already, the DT has a HF boost; the OT is neutral. Some people prefer their samplers as neutral as possible.

5 Likes