OT - sound quality

No, went down by about $1

3 Likes

I seem to remember when I first got my OT, I moved from the DT and wondered why the sampling seemed less loud. This was before I learned the gainstaging needed, and also the way that the DT automatically normalizes what’re you sample (the OT gives the option… I feel this is the reason for the high mid color the DT gives when sampling)
Anyhoo, I remember searching this forum about people doing DIY converter swaps. It seemed like a load of work, and if I remember correctly the thread I read… The person who actually did replace the converters with better ones couldn’t hear a difference. Maybe I’m remembering wrong tho.

1 Like

Reportedly, the OT’s power handle’s gonna have surround sound built in so that should get us the rest of the way……

4 Likes

I’m gonna put fruit pastilles in mine.

1 Like

Can someone point me in the right direction for a definitive gainstaging tutorial or post or what ever. It comes up so often and searching for it is a little overwhelming. I’m sure I’ve seen one somewhere…

Edit. Think I found it in my bookmarks (great feature to have on a forum. If I remember to look at them haha)

2 Likes

Yes, also these threads:

3 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

See also
Signal flow/gain staging diagram for Octatrack MKII
(Unity settings)

Imho most important is input signal, mixer gain.

Edit : leaving it at 0 and adjust your input signal? I’d do that but I’m not sure if it’s the best. If anyone can shime in about that…

Red is a warning (-12db imho), it doesn’t mean clipping. It can be full red without clipping with a sine wave for instance.

10 Likes

Kind of funny this is still being talked about, really easy to get the final verdict, just post an example of a sound the OT failed to capture adequately, along with the original and the OT version of the sound, it is that easy.

12 Likes

It is really important to have lots of signal for sure. Am I right about the OT’s sampling, that it inputs at a lower volume, so that you have loads of headroom when editing it? Kinda of like in OB? It can be a bit of a pain in the ass, but it’s helped me from gaining stuff too much. I get really clean mixes with both.

so I just tried it…they might be right. I cant really tell tho…

sampled first, then playback…

50 Likes

Dang, that proves it :sob:

4 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

Solved case, please close. Nice one @phaelam.

3 Likes

So good!!! Omg

2 Likes

:rofl::joy::rofl: definitely over.

2 Likes

Finally.

2 Likes

Im selling it now.

4 Likes

Sort of, it doesn’t actually record at a lower volume but any recording you make has its volume attribute set to -12db automatically, so your actual recording is full scale but you’re guaranteed a good amount of headroom.

That’s actually important to take into account when you choose between 16 and 24 bit - because the OT is undoubtedly working with fixed point internally, and one bit of audio resolution = 6db of dynamic range, the -12db pad means that things you’re sampling live are truncated to 14 bit or 22 bit at playback. 22 bit is still plenty of resolution, but14 bit is starting to push into the zone where you’ll definitely start to hear it (although a LOT less than you probably think, even 12 bit can sound pretty hi-fi if it’s recorded at a good level and the dynamic range isn’t too big.

3 Likes

but… did you turn timestretch off??

5 Likes