OT - sound quality

Oh, idk. I just felt a need to remark on that truly obscene amount of bokeh. :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

thanks for the example! very fun video. seems like a super fun way to spend your work day too. so if this is the sort of thing you generally do for your day job, Iā€™m jealous!

but I just donā€™t understand the world youā€™re working/living in, I guess. thereā€™s a MILLION small decisions in that video that totally color the sound (what if heā€™d hit the piano cable with something metallic instead of woodenā€¦? or hit the water bottle with a mallet or wooden spoon instead of his knuckleā€¦? what if heā€™d put oil inside of the balloons!?! etcā€¦). why focus so much on one of the post-processing options? it seems like in this world you need options; and want to choose them based upon how they color your sound. if a sound isnā€™t working with one of them, choose another. the OT would be one option, MPC, S2400, Live, Logic, etc are others.

I guess Iā€™m just failing to see how if all of those sounds had been fed into the OT, or MPC, or Live, or combinations of all of themā€¦ that you would then not get the job/get the sound purchased/whatever. I mean, do you have these same discussions on Ableton boards? because itā€™s been beaten to death for a decade or more that Liveā€™s sound engine is allegedly inferior to other DAWsā€¦

2 Likes

same mistake was in Ricky Tinez video about octa and DT

1 Like

16 bit vs 24 bit mostly change noise floor / dynamic. More noticeable with a too low recording level, but with correct levels, not sure everybody would make a difference on a single recording.

IIRC @DaveMech pointed this out here, I tried to compare on OT, read a bit more about it.

Imho for tests like this, leaving filter fx on is worse.

7 Likes

The filter dulls the sound ever so slightly but thatā€™s to be expected. Itā€™s a filter after all. Using track 8 as the master track is where youā€™ll run into sound color issues. Doesnā€™t really bother me at all and I actually think it helps to dull the sound a little especially playing through massive sound systems.

2 Likes

I think we need a specific topic with different blind tests (including already made ones) with different audio materials and neutral OT settings (chart). Apparently nobody prooved with audio recordings OT wasnā€™t transparent with neutral settings (for normal ears). It was apparently difficult to know what was through OT with blind tests.

Iā€™m not saying OT is perfect or totally transparent, I had dubitative moments, Iā€™m not sure myself. Iā€™d like to do other tests, to make it clearer.

5 Likes

I donā€™t see how anyone will accept any result from any methodology as being factual and non biased.
Just like the Lock Ness Monster, the OT will loose its mythical aura if proven to be neutral. Itā€™s best to let this 8 legged beast swim freely.

Just my $2.50.

4 Likes

:content: Nice one!
Just waiting proving bad soundā€¦

It is an interesting challenge: under the following list of conditions the OT sound colouration is most neutral -

• No Use of Track 8 as master
  • No FX
  • [gain rules]
    Etc

And hereā€™s ā€˜how neutralā€™ that is, described scientifically

ā€¦

1 Like

OMG has inflation raised the cost of peopleā€™s thoughts by $2.48?

6 Likes

What audio interface should be used as the benchmark all of us will agree on? 24/44.1 recording or higher? How gold platted the balanced cables coming out of the OT need to be? Rabbit hole la laā€¦

2 Likes

No, went down by about $1

3 Likes

I seem to remember when I first got my OT, I moved from the DT and wondered why the sampling seemed less loud. This was before I learned the gainstaging needed, and also the way that the DT automatically normalizes whatā€™re you sample (the OT gives the optionā€¦ I feel this is the reason for the high mid color the DT gives when sampling)
Anyhoo, I remember searching this forum about people doing DIY converter swaps. It seemed like a load of work, and if I remember correctly the thread I readā€¦ The person who actually did replace the converters with better ones couldnā€™t hear a difference. Maybe Iā€™m remembering wrong tho.

1 Like

Reportedly, the OTā€™s power handleā€™s gonna have surround sound built in so that should get us the rest of the wayā€¦ā€¦

4 Likes

Iā€™m gonna put fruit pastilles in mine.

1 Like

Can someone point me in the right direction for a definitive gainstaging tutorial or post or what ever. It comes up so often and searching for it is a little overwhelming. Iā€™m sure Iā€™ve seen one somewhereā€¦

Edit. Think I found it in my bookmarks (great feature to have on a forum. If I remember to look at them haha)

2 Likes

Yes, also these threads:

3 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

See also
Signal flow/gain staging diagram for Octatrack MKII
(Unity settings)

Imho most important is input signal, mixer gain.

Edit : leaving it at 0 and adjust your input signal? Iā€™d do that but Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s the best. If anyone can shime in about thatā€¦

Red is a warning (-12db imho), it doesnā€™t mean clipping. It can be full red without clipping with a sine wave for instance.

10 Likes

Kind of funny this is still being talked about, really easy to get the final verdict, just post an example of a sound the OT failed to capture adequately, along with the original and the OT version of the sound, it is that easy.

12 Likes