OT Science Lab - 1 year study - who’s up for it? [LAUNCHED]

Thanks everyone for your patience, I’m working hard behind the scenes getting this all written up and ready, probably realistically looking at the beginning of March for a start date, so hang in there, not much longer now :wink:

13 Likes

For my birthday! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

It seems like a fun way to thoroughly investigate the OT, I’m ready!
Surely very interesting things come out of here, and we learn new things along the way.
:wink:

Down for March! :slight_smile:

Yours and mine (the 14th):grinning:

1 Like

March hasn’t the best historical track record (especially around the Ides). Time to change that … :smiley:

Update: Okay, l missed a few posts. Let’s say lately it got better @sezare56 @soundklinik :wink:

4 Likes

I’m cool with March too as it gives me a little more time to get from zero OT skills to something other than zero OT skills… been good just doing some prep and starting to get my head around the machine and imagining lots of things I want to experiment with more fully once things kick off.

4 Likes

Mine too! 30th. March babies FTW!

1 Like

I’m turning 30 at the end of Feb. Shit’s scary but I think I already had my crisis this year.

2 Likes

I’ve been putting in a little practice every day to catch up with you all.

The OT had been more or less untouched since I bought it last summer. The first two or three times I sat down at it I failed at getting either sound into it or sound out of it…

It’s amazing what even a week will do, and a change of heart and spirit!

I brought the OT in bed this AM and learned how slicing works while my wife and cat rested.

It’s… the beginning of a love affair, I can tell you that.

3 Likes

I wish I had this crisis to look forward to! :sob::sob::sob: Turning 30 is easy, the 30’s are great. You know a little more about yourself, build confidence, be who you are to the world and all that. Your body still has some spring to it. I’m turning 39 in April and random parts hurt on random days.

4 Likes

Turning 30 is easy. Turning 31 is hard.

5 Likes

I think there is more crisis to be had. I mean, you’re turning 30…what are you even doing here? Time to grow up and get serious about life and stop wasting you’re time with all this nonsense. IT’S OVER FOR YOU

I’m 56, btw :slight_smile:

12 Likes

So is this basically, after 1 year, plug in your OT (with no other devices attached other than audio out) and press play to hear a rendition of the best thing you can make, having set it up in advance, using as many features as you might need? - and you can touch the OT (buttons, fader, knobs) if you want, as said rendition commences?

It’s a self-contained, OT-only, standalone challenge?

It’s covered pretty well earlier in the thread and I don’t think any specific assignment have been set. We can do whatever we want with all our gear…just not for the particular OT tasks in the science lab thing. That was my take on it anyway :slight_smile:

Between your wife and your cat? :smile:

3 Likes

Cool, matches well with the sort of OT workout I’d relish getting better at!

1 Like

Same here!

Ok, just finished giving myself an OT class based on suggested things in this thread

•everything done inside OT
•no external fx
•no multi track stems
•no midi
•no instruments (vocal sounds only)
• all performed live straight to a two mix

It’s embarrassing to admit how long it took considering I’m not at all pleased with the results. If I could’ve just separated the vocals and mixed em in the DAW I would’ve been happier, but I stuck to ‘the plan.’
Only posting this to prove I’ll get better at it down the line

15 Likes

Yes! Really interesting crazy vocal stuff!
Good start for the 2019 Lab ! :slight_smile:

2 Likes