OT Scenes and MIDI. IF ONLY

People would just complain about only having a few MIDI parameters to use with scenes. If the limit was two, you could still easily eat all the bandwith and more by quickly tweaking the fader. Then there’s the consideration of time-critical stuff (note on messages) in a sea of CC messages, would most likely be a nightmare to get working if at all possible.

1 Like

Hmm…you’re probaply right. Even if they’d explain it all in the release notes and news, seems many just don’t read those. In the new Transfer release they clearly wrote, that DT and AR needed the newest firmware, yet I’ve seen quite a few threads from users that didn’t update asking why it didn’t work. And as a manufacturer you probaply don’t want users complaining and judging your product because of stuff like that.

Concerning midi bandwith, I’m not entirely convinced, I did some tests myself and you can already have midi scenes with the Blokas Midihub, which also seemed to work well.
No exhaustive testing, just some findings, that it could work.
All of the current possible solutions are not just simply pressing a scene button and twisting a knob, might work well if preplanning scenes is ok for you, though.

3 Likes

It’s very possible that I’m wrong about this, maybe someone who knows more about MIDI will chime in. I don’t know that Blokas product but it seems interesting and I totally agree MIDI scenes would be awesome.

1 Like

I agree with midi bandwidth limits, using 8x3 lfos doesn’t seem reasonable anyway.

I don’t expect any update concerning this. Workarounds with midi processors, yes. @Schnork Does Blokas have min/max features ?

I could set midi scenes with Zoia pretty easily, with min/max. Worked like a charm with 5 CCs, I guess 8 or more would work too.

1 Like

Long before you will exhaust the bandwidth itself your midi timing will become quite unusable for beat related stuff.

1 Like

Yes. I posted here about it.

Midi scenes would have to be quite restricted and one would have to be careful not to sacrifice accuracy of timing critical stuff. For those reasons I don’t expect it either.
I think allowing a few parameters per scene would work well in most cases (don’t wiggle the crossfader like crazy), but putting so many restrictions on a functionality and relying on users not to break stuff isn’t gonna end well…

Let the midi go chaotic I say. Where’s the mangling spirit?

Live

Love it.

Just to be able to assign LFOs depth to scenes would be huge.

And midi retrig…werks like a charm on the PT.

2 Likes

I dont understand how we can have 24 midi LFOs but not midi scenes. What’s the difference?

Ya…What I’d like to do is I’ve got this beat made with odd sounds in my Morphagene sequenced from the OT. If I could just assign the LFO depth [which is linked to the Note data of said track] I could chuck in some neat little random breaks in the beat.

1 Like

CCs from midi scenes would be added to the midi data already generated by OT, but like I said, if they‘d limit the max scene locks for midi tracks, pretty sure it would work well!
P-locks have a limit on all Elektron machines, max locks for scenes and macros on AR are limited etc. so it‘s not even an exotic concept.

They could even introduce slew/smoothing in case of hyper active crossfader wiggling…

Pretty sure they have other things on their list plus all the current madness going on currently…but yeah… :elot:

1 Like

Yes. You are on the right track. I have coded midi controllers before including a midi crossfader. MIDI messages are serial so you are correct in your analysis that it boils down to a simple matter of “how much shit can we stuff down this pipe before we over run limits?”. This is easily fixed by slapping a limit on the number of params being controlled by a MIDI scene. I honestly think that the Elektron devs simply just don’t want to implement this feature because it would cause them to have to rewrite too much stuff. That’s just a guess but as a developer the obtuse silence from Elektron regarding this repeatedly requested feature smacks of “i dont wanna” to me.

2 Likes

That’s what I’m saying, if we can have 24 LFOs then surely we can have 24 CCs locked via scenes instead. Then additional scene locks for indirect stuff like LFO depth/speed etc

Ya…yer talking about stuffing more data down the pipe. But who is maxing out?
I’ll use a few midi tracks. But even still, I’m sure I’m no we’re NEAR what it can handle.

So give me the option to use midi scenes. It’s up to me to manage my project. In this instance less is actually less.

1 Like

I wonder how the MIDI LFO’s are handled, there’s probably some smart logic at play. I bet at high speeds they don’t send out every value, I’ll try to check tonight with a MIDI monitor.

1 Like

Their resolution is pretty high, I used them as an envelope, it wasn’t steppy.

2 Likes

its def high enough.

What is? My check will have to wait until tomorrow, OT is stashed behind some christmas presents and I can’t get it out very conveniently.

midi 2.0 can’t come faster! :smiley:

1 Like