OT scene fader - available in a software?

heyaaa, finally could do another round
happy to say it works :slight_smile:
I think the terminology Play/Store is fine?

It is just that I expected the Store behavior on opening the device
(and clearly did not think about how I would play with the scenes
if every click stored, so thanks for thinking of that)

Maybe leave Store active so it is easier to set up scene after scene?

1 Like

This is so awesome. I assume I could use the actual Octatrack crossfader for this too, right? Once properly mapped of course.

Perform/Store?

I admit I haven’t tried it yet so it might not be the right word.

Reading your above description, maybe:

Set/Assign?

Done/Assign?

Lock/Assign?

Set Knobs/To Scene?

Finished Fiddling/Store?

Play/Store?

:joy:

I really don’t think so.
It all gets saved with the live set, so once you’ve set everything as you want, you just reload your set and play.
Also, leaving the “store” state active doesn’t seem a good idea to me. Because one of the fun things with the crossfader is to change the A and B scene as you play, and the way it works, it would just copy a scene to another.

“Perform Mode / Store Mode” seems like a good advice.

Yeah why not !

1 Like

One of the cool things about the fader is the massive resolution. What are the controller options for exceeding 128 steps? Is this why people are into OSC?

1 Like

OSC is more about controls between devices over things like Ethernet or WIFI (an over simplified, incomplete description).

Max supports NRPN controls and Sysex for high resolution controls, so it’s possible.

It’s very dependent on your controller and what your trying to control though.
You’d need a crossfader that sends NRPN and devices that accepts NRPN to have that kind of resolution.

2 Likes

I’ll check if I can add and “hi resolution” mode. Could be not-so-simple.

Meanwhile, I updated the device https://maxforlive.com/library/device.php?id=6850

• Less Undo history (after the first load which makes some pollution, the only parameters adding undo history are the crossfader and the scene boxes)
  • changed the label to “mode : PERFORM” or “mode : STORE”.
6 Likes

I did not mean active indefinitely as in no perform mode,
but at the moment once you store
you are automagically back in perform

or if one maps the perform/store switch to a momentary button
the behaviour would be like the Octa?

1 Like

Ha I see. I made it on purpose so you don’t accidentally fuck up scenes. To make it more intentional.
On the Octatrack you hold A or B and then hit a Scene “trig”. You can’t do this with a mouse.

Let’s see how you feel after some time of use ? It’s an easy fix as it’s basically removing some stuff.

1 Like

oh, for sure looking forward to try the new version!
I can see your reasoning against fucking up scenes,
cause when I made scene after scene quickly to try the device
I sometimes wasn’t sure if I was overwriting an old one.

Could the scenes change colour, like green for empty slot, red for stored or so?

Seeing that the mouse only gives you one tiny finger on the Octatrack so to speak
I thought the store/perform could/would be mapped to a momentary button on a MIDI controller to mimic “hold A or B” then make your changes, click the desired slot and once you let go off the MIDI button it gets stored.

But you are right, it probably makes more sense to use the device for a while and then ask for changes. If I just sit here thinking about it, it might not be long until I ask you to make the device make me coffee, too :wink:

Which, hmmm coffee, is not a bad idea, I could use some more, off to the kitchen…

Thanks, cool to know it’s supported in Max. So far the only controller I can find with NRPN high resolution faders is the old Behringer BCF-2000.

1 Like

That would be useful. I’ll think of it.

1 Like

I’ve been trying the Livefader Max for Live device, and it works really well with the Push 2.

In the Push’s User mode, you can MIDI map pads to the A and B buttons, and also to each of the 8 scenes. I mapped a knob to the Xfader.

The neat bit is that the Push’s pads light up to tell you what’s active. So, you can tap the pad for the right scene, then tap the pad for, say, scene H, and they’ll stay lit. It’s almost exactly like using the Octatrack.

…sure u can built a software set up within ableton or bitwig that can “easily” go beyond ot’s crossfader options…but u have to make ur mind up first…while, well, it’s not like u would not have to think first on the ot either…

Old post, I know, but if anyone else is having this issue a possible workaround would be hijacking the pitch wheel, since pitch bend is always 14 bit.

The Faderfox stuff is 14 bit but on the expensive side. The UC4 is the obvious one if you don’t mind the tiny faders.

Only the encoders of the UC4 can be set up in 14bit resolution.

2 Likes

NI Reaktor has a Snapshot Fader, its awesome !

Oooh, I didn’t know that. The day I got mine I set the faders up to control OT track volume, and the crossfader to control reverb/delay send level on the current track, and never touched them again.

If you don’t mind some simple DIY the Doepfer Wheel Electronic could do it, and for jsut 45 euros. You’d just need to source and hook up the actual crossfader and figure out some kind of enclosure.

https://doepfer.de/we.htm

Yes it’s a perfect companion for the OT (OT MIDI is also 7bit). Set it and forget it, eh :slight_smile:

Love the Faderfox micro controllers.