OT scene fader - available in a software?

An exact copy would be Drambo on iOS I guess,
a similar concept would be the Metasurface in Audiomulch.

Who else can actually morph between settings?
The crossfader in Ableton is audio only IIRC

Does Bitwig offer something similar to the OT?

Yes…There are 2 modulators that have a little x/y pad. For vector style scenes. One is Vector 4, and one is Vector 8. It’s kinda insane. Bitwig is it’s own thing. There are other ways I’m sure.

But you can assign any single MIDI CC# controller to multiple destinations in Live, and set the values individually, and invert positive and negative values. The same as the OT crossfader.

Now, saving those to a scene button and switching between them isn’t the same as on OT, but you could simply use another knob or fader as another scene.

I use a MIDI Fighter twister, and the 16 encoders make it very easy to do this with. Any USB MIDI fader or knob box will work this way with Ableton Live.

10 Likes

Each little blue dot can be assigned to any setting. Very, very interesting.

1 Like

Reaper extension:

1 Like

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Vector8 is a plugin in Bitwig, so you could have several in your set,
and turning them on/off would give you different scenes so to speak?
Bitwig looks more and more appealing…

Reaper!
Keeps occasionally waving at me from the sideline “you know I’m amazing, right?”
Yes, I do know, but, I don’t know… so far I couldn’t get into it.

AdamJay, your comments about Ableton reminded me that maybe something close enough to what I want can be done with what I already have, namely Ableton.
So that got me thinking about Max for Live and I asked over at the Ableton Forum wether someone had already done this or interest in trying…

What can I say, one guy said it is on his to do list, another said he’s got something similar in the works, first guy says “nice, can I look at it?”
Boom: 1 day later…
https://maxforlive.com/library/device.php?id=6850

thanks folks & hooray for forums! forii?

7 Likes

“fora” (original Latin plural for forum / market places).

But you are meaning message boards, so “forums” is IMHO the better term.

this seems similar

4 Likes

Vector8 is a plugin in Bitwig, so you could have several in your set,
and turning them on/off would give you different scenes so to speak?
Bitwig looks more and more appealing…

What’s even better in Bitwig is that there are “instrument selectors”, where you can drop as many instances of Vector8 (or any other plugin or mix of plugins) into this “hosting” plugin, set each plugin to different parameters (= a “scene”), and then you can switch between them manually, with a mapped MIDI controller, with automation, with Bitwig modulators (step sequencing, LFOs, random, etc.) or with program change messages.

In @thoughtstarZ 's example, Vector8 is used as a modulator for one plugin (Aalto). If you want to use it to modulate parameters throughout the whole project (like Octatrack scenes), you will need to do some workarounds to “broadcast” the modulation outputs in such a way that they can be “received” by other tracks and other plugins. You can do this with multiple instances of the “DC Offset” device (which acts like virtual “control voltage”) and then “receive” your virtual CV at different tracks and plugins using the “Audio Receiver”. (DC Offset signals are processed at the same resolution and high priority as audio signals—incomparably better than mapping MIDI CC messages.)

2 Likes

I just did this : Octascenes version 1.0 by chapelierfou on maxforlive.com

23 Likes

Should be possible with a midi processor (software or hardware). Using a single midi cc that is remapped to several midi ccs with different min/max values.
Even the midi cc output of OT crossfader could be used as source.

Downside is you’d be restrained to midi resolution.

1 Like

Ah, of course you are here, too!
he is one of “The Guys”
I was talking about…

Chapeau, chapelierfou! Thanks again…

Bitwig does sound lovely though

Both are lovely programs. To be honest the only reason I have Bitwig now, is because i got the full version for 300 bucks last year. So, now I own Bitwig and I’ve decided to go all in and learn the program. Ableton can do more or less the same things. I just don’t have it anymore, and couldn’t afford the upgrade.
Thats my sob story… :upside_down_face:
I will say I’m glad how things worked out. Bitwig is just hella fun, with the modulators and the grid. It’s a great software environment for me. Maybe download the demo and check it out. Watch a couple vids, ask questions on forums and see if you like it. I used Ableton for years. Great program. Done with it.

1 Like

I read the thread too fast, I did not see you posting my device. Does it work ok ?
I’m not sure about its CPU efficiency as I’m working on the L11 beta, and the CPU monitor is quite different.
Also, it’s “polluting” the undo history. (this could be solved easily if it’s annoying, I guess).
Please tell me how you feel about it.

I did not have a chance to try it yet, but will surely report.

This should work on L9, yes?

1 Like

I don’t see why not.

The device opens but either it does not work correctly,
or me daughter-birthday-preparing brain does not immediately get how to store the scenes with different positions dialed in for the 8 parameters :see_no_evil: :joy:

Param 1 changes with the fader, but none of the others

1 Like

Here is how it’s supposed to work :

First, Map the knobs to the parameters you want.
Then, set the knobs like you want. Hit the button PLAY. It changes to STORE, and a message invites you to click on a scene number (on both sides of the crossfader-it doesn’t matter). Click on a scene number, it is stored.
Repeat for other scenes.
Select a scene for the A side and another one for the B side.
Play with the crossfader.

1 Like

ah… PLAY!
that is what I forgot…
I’ll try again tomorrow, now I have to give up the laptop to the daughter…

1 Like

I’ll change PLAY/STORE to something more explicit. Any idea ?