OT mk2 Grey or Black?

I also have both. I prefer the black. It matches the shadows under my eyes from sitting with this stuff for too long.

6 Likes

:smiley:

I have both, like both, the grey looks very legible to me, possibly more so than the black, the text is very easy to read.

2 Likes

…THIS must be why it’s called BOUTIQUE…

1 Like

Overall, I prefer and purchased the OT MKII Black. Although the grey version is not my favorite color, it would not have prevented me from purchasing an OT if the black option was not released.

In addition, I also chose the black versions of the A4 MKII and AR MKII.

I have black rytm mk2 so got black ot mk2. Looks slick :ok_hand:

There’s something about the grey utilitarian/militaristic finish that I find cooler and more appealing than the black… same with the Analog Rytm and Four (maybe to a slightly lesser extent).

4 Likes

Found what you’re looking for. This version has better sound quality and is OB ready. :upside_down_face:

11 Likes

:joy:

But is it worth it in 2021?

5 Likes

Will getting an Octatrack ever be not a mistake?

4 Likes

Yes, once they aren’t made anymore and go for 2500$.
Then is the right time to buy it.

3 Likes

Black!!!

I’ve got the grey OT and Rytm, so can’t really make a credible comparison; what I can’t tell you though, is that I like how the buttons and the chassis are different colors. It adds a kind of delineation to the buttons.
I suspect that the black chassis with the black buttons might make the buttons a little less distinguishable considering that the whole front is just one color. This probably becomes negligible once you start getting to know your device though.
You’ll be happy with either one imo, save your money

2 Likes

Orange Octatrack (OG) & MKII Skins – Cremacaffè Design

1 Like

Three times I came to this thread to write about just this point, and then abandoned my message!

I have the black OR and AR, and I regularly wish they had greater contrast between the buttons and chasis. I get mild envy whilst watching people use grey ones in videos. But it’s not strong enough to offer a swap, however.

3 Likes

grey sexier. (all nuances…)

1 Like

You know, more and more realizing how true @Scooberto’s comment is regarding how the grey version’s black buttons and encoders provide contrast that make the :elot: easier to navigate. But I don’t have the black to compare it with.

Side thought - how I wish the encoders had some way to be illuminated - really having a hard time finding the right one to turn when the environment’s dark. There was someone who posted something about creating custom self-illuminated/luminous encoders and I wish it was something I can do as well.

the black is a magnet for finger marks and dust motes, and has an almost papery kind of finish that isnt apparent in photos. much prefer the finish on my previous grey one, which was sort of tank-like, and more forgiving with general handling marks and dust etc.

1 Like

I have one more concern regarding this topic.

Looking for used Octatrack I have seen a few grey ones where some of the lettering has rubbed off over time.

Do you think the print on the grey ones rubs off easier because it is on a smooth surface?

(I am asking because I haven’t noticed many mk1 model with rubbed off lettering and they probably have a similar texture to the black mk2, right?)

I saw one that was used on tour and it was just the crossfader markings that were rubbed off. But I also saw the rubberized buttons seem to get the coating rubbed off after a while, but the lettering on them is still legible. Kind of a bummer on the buttons but I’m going to eventually paint the faceplate on mine black and do the decals in neon puff paint, it looks killer under my black light. Did it to my DT when I had it, wish they’d do that for an option.

1 Like