OT Mk1 - Sound continuing from previous pattern

Hi all,

I can’t find an existing post/answer for this, so am creating a new topic. My MK1 OT seems to be playing a single track (a looping tom hit) from Pattern B01 after having switched to B02, which is not only a new Pattern but uses a new part. Am I missing something? How is this happening?

Any advice very welcome. Thanks in advance!

Do you have the sample set to Loop in the audio editor settings?

1 Like

Page 74 12.10.1

Maybe this helps with Pattern settings?

6 Likes

Switching patterns does not send stop messages to individual tracks. So if you have a drum loop on pattern 1 that’s set to loop, for example, and you switch to a new pattern, it will keep looping until you tell it to stop or give it a new trig. If you just want a sound to stop you could put a p-locked trig on the first step of the new pattern that turns the amp down to zero.

It does with above Start Silent setting. :content:
This setting is per track, Auto corresponds to Project setting (Control > Sequencer > Silence Tracks)

1 Like

Learning something new every day! :slight_smile:

1 Like

That works too.

Precision : A new part is effective on a track only if there’s a trig. Machines, Samples slot affectations, fx…don’t change otherwise. (probably exceptions for Pickups machines, don’t remember exactly, maybe a related bug).

AFAIK that’s not completely true. Just setting the track to “start silent” should have the the same effect (but without a trig).

IMHO this “let a sound continue” feature is the whole reason why the loading of the track settings from a new part may get delayed (makes no sense otherwise). I really wonder why this is not explicitly mentioned in the manual …

I meant Part change don’t suffice to change / stop a sample, nor fx, machine, because it was mentioned in OP.
Start Silent seems independent.

I just wanted to clarify that there is not always a trig necessary.

You can utilize the “start silent” feature not only for stopping a sound, but also to force the loading of the track settings from a new part without any trigs on the track at all. That’s quite a useful side effect (which is nowhere documented).

3 Likes

Ah interesting ! Didn’t know that. :content:
Mentioned somewhere or you found it by yourself?

Kenny Zhao discovered it during one of his latest livestreams while working on a project.

When taking the “start silent” feature into account, the whole delayed loading of track settings from a new part makes finally sense. What seems at first glance a kind of buggy implementation turns 180 degree into a very useful feature done by purpose.

Just made a test, fx didn’t change with a part change and silence tracks.

Test
Pattern 1, part 1, T1 : 1 trig, 1 long sample, delay
Pattern 2, part 2, T1 : No trig, Reverb
With silence tracks, the sample is stopped, not delay fx tail. Witout silence tracks, the sample and the fx last.

Another similar test, with Part 2 fx set to None.
The sample is stopped, fx tail too. :thinking:

Apparently buggy behavior : I set Reveb back to Part 2, swith to pattern 1 (Part 1), and the reverb is still active despite the trig, and the delay fx setting. :sketchy:
If I set silence tracks off, and Part 2 fx to None, fx delay tails and sample last.
Too late to decipher this. :expressionless:

Exemples?

Hmmmm … strange. Yeah, too late now and a busy weekend incoming … :expressionless:

1 Like

This bug seems to happen when you change fx setting on a track without trigs, then change pattern and part, track with a trig.
The fx display change, not fx. And you can control them. A bug to report, later…

hey @protocol_jimmy protocol_jimmy, I do not, but thank you for the suggestion!

@PekeDorty, that was the solution - cheers!

Thanks for everyone for their suggestions too. And, as always to @sezare56 for their tips!

1 Like

Not for me using a THRU track. I’ve an input signal coming through a THRU track, I switch to another pattern/part that has no THRU tracks at all (only static tracks) and the input signal continues to sound, even though “starts silent” is set to YES on that pattern/track (I’ve also tried setting it to AUTO).

It stops it if I put a trig on the static where that THRU track was, but according to the manual and this thread I shouldn’t have to do that!

1 Like

Depends on the amp settings for your thru machine.
If amp hold and release set to INFINITE, then the amp stays open and pass sound through until a new trigger with different amp settings is passed.

This is actually quite cool, it means you can change parts as you say, have no thru machine, yet continue to hear your external gear.

2 Likes

wow, ok fair, I see how that’s useful :sparkles: