OT MK 1 Live Sampling Not Working

yeah thanks, theres definitely some Brain blockage I created somewhere, had this same problem when I had the OT-MK2, and I gave up, and just made wav files from my samples and loaded to the CF card…still really pisses me off that I cant solve this, it should just work!

That’s the wrong conclusion. This large dark block from your photo means there is tons of data, but zoomed out extremely so you don’t see the details. Just use the F knob to zoom in on the x-axis to see the details … :wink:

then why dont I hear anything?

1. assign a flex machine to a track
  2. open the sample slot selection and scroll up to recording1 and select it as source for the flex machine
  3. put down some trigs on this track (but make sure you are not in recording setup mode when doing this)

When you haven’t changed anything else on the flex machine that should already do the trick.

You can also preview the sample while in the audio editor by pressing [FUNC] + [YES].

thanks, will do.

What about this

will try when I get some time, and report. thanks

when I initialize Copy button and it turns red for record, ABCD Light up red when holding down Trig A-T1 Yes

Okay, try recording internally. If you can hear the sound coming from the source you want to record. I am assuming, because you haven’t told me in detail whats happening really…that you are recording without using a thru machine. Go to your record setup. Go down to SRC3, knob E and turn it until is says main. Now again try to record whatever is happening on the OT…Also check your level in the mixer. check DIR and turn that up.
There were a few things in my sampling process that I did wrong a lot. I’m trying to remember them, but after loads of practice and making a crap load of mistakes I have a hard time remembering.

yeah thanks, will do now.

If that doesn’t work. Sit down and write the entire process that you are doing to achieve sampling. I will do the same on my box, and then we might find out whats going on.

1 Like

It didn’t work, I will keep trying different configs. I dont get the assignment of the recording slots and the slots below the 8 slots… I hear playback of what I recorded as little white noise puffs, basically just blank noise. but I heard the volume going in fine. there was no ‘Recording’ indicator on, when recording, just says recording as the tape recorder icon spins, no other identifiable different recording indicator. I will start a new Project and see what happens. I just bought this OT 1 used, but it is in pristine condition, the protector is still on the screen, and should work 100%, so it must be me.

Think of your sample list as 8 recorder playheads/slots, the tape that gets recorded. The rest of the slots are sample slots. thats where you load samples after they are recorded. When you press function record, whatever track you are looking at is that track recorder. There are 8 recorders. And 8 sample players. 8 recorder buffers, and 8 sample players. They are separate machines on each track.

its sad too, because I have been in the audio recording biz for 40 years… go figure, I worked on 4/8/16/24 track 1/4" to 2" tape machines and I cant get this little damn machine to work

Its fine…I’m young and beautiful and it took me 2+ years to even feel acquainted with this machine. Now write out your process. I will try it on my machine, and I’ll tell you whats up.

2 Likes

young whippersnapper, you probably never cut a tape with a razor blade either… lol. anyway, setting up a new project with Flex machines. I have a wav file sample on track 1, plays fine, so its just the Live recording that is an issue.

I feel like I’m teaching my mom how to post on facebook. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

3 Likes

yep. about right. And I owned 2 Octatracks before this.

Okay. MK1 or MK2?