OT: Mixer: send input straight to cue?

brain, I would like to send any input pair straight to cue out without sacrificing a track for a thru machine. can this be done? seems not - but figured I ask. cheers

No.

Depending on your precise intent, the workaround could be to Cue all your audio tracks so that only the DIrect input signals are routed to the Main outputs.

_Edit: My answer was wrong and my suggested workaround is completely unnecessary. See @Merlin’s posts below for details. Sorry for misleading you. _

2 Likes

good thinking! thanks Peter

1 Like

Hi folks,

A small correction: Directly cueinq the live input is perfectly possible and fairly straightforward:

-Cueing a normal track is done by holding the cue button and pressing one of your track buttons.

-Likewise cueing the live inputs is done by holding cue + one of the record buttons. The leds above the record button will start blinking in an alternated fashion. No need for sacrificing a track, using a thru machine or whatever.

Any combination of live inputs and internal tracks can be cued.

Finally, a small warning: If your cue outs are attached to a mixer and one of the outputs of your mixer goes back into the ot, you can get feedback loops, so watch out for that:)

M.

15 Likes

:clap: :heart_eyes_cat:

(There should be some kind of Merlin emoticon…)

1 Like

To elaborate a little further on this:

Cueing the live inputs allows for some pretty intriguing audio routings…observe:

-My machinedrum is connected to ot inputs a/b.

-The a/b input is cued as described in the post above.

-Some internal tracks of the ot (that add some extra sounds I need) are cued as well.

-The cue out of the ot is connected to the input of an fx processor, a Virus ti, or in my case: the MnM

-The MnM is flexible in it’s routing. In this case I use it as a modular like six track fx processor…or x track fx processor and 6-x track synthesizer to add some sounds…

-The output of the MnM is fed back into inputs c/d of the ot where it can be sent straight to the main outs,
processed further using a thru machine, recorded straight into a record buffer, recorded/ overdubbed by a pickup machine, whatever…no limits here…

Once again: watch out for feedback loops! In the example above, cueing the c/d inputs already results in one so be aware of what you are doing.

M.

3 Likes

Thanks for correcting me. I had forgotten that this was possible, even though I must have tried it myself many times and it’s stated clearly on page 49 (arguably the wrong section for that piece of information), and pages 75, 124, 126-127, and 143 of the manual.

:zonked:

awesome, never knew you could cue tracks with the red input buttons without burning an OT track. amazing. thanks merlin!

1 Like

woah. thanks a crap tonne for the insight!
learned the feedback lesson the hard way already. my neighbours too. I’m doing exactly what you describe above and I guess ultimately I will have to sacrifice a thru track to have a feedback free loop. not the end of the world.
now that audio bleed between ins and outs becomes more apparent though as I’m now getting the faintest signal (which I can even sample) even though the mixer doesn’t return a thing… but that’s an entirely different issue I suppose.

thanks again @Merlin and everyone else

Uhm.
Fantastic trick
But now the problem is: cue button + input button = sends input to cue ALSO, that’s right
but the audio of the input is STILL going to the main out…
Unless I turn direct input to zero in the mixer, but that makes the trick pretty useless in a live contest (I need to send cue to fx only if needed and at certain moments)

Any clue?

A.

well, it’s not a trick, it’s just a feature (documented, and has flashing lights to remind you), like much of the OT it’s about balancing what’s possible against what’s desirable - you do have the option (although it too may have unwelcome consequences) of Linking the Dir level to a Scene (XDir) - so one option is to get ninja with your button combos or xfader - not quite useless imho

1 Like

Wow

not fully related - but I had set the OT to studio mode to have separate control over cue/main level. Think there is also an option where you can force cue’d tracks to be muted no? (in the personalize menu I think)

2 Likes

bingo !! :thup:

edit : now not sure that addresses the DIR issue - but good pointer to a useful menu that i’ve only passing familiarity with

1 Like

mhm yea. you’re right. DIR might be overriding this. not in front of an OT. I ended up sacrificing a track for a thru machine as it did protect me from hefty feedbacks and seemed more convenient for my use

This is old BUT I just got an OT and want to use one pair of inputs for my Peak…can i send the outputs post FX to the CUE and the internal sounds from the OT to the main. Just want to record into my DAW separate tracks into my Tascam model 12 at the same time.

Thanks.

Cue and Main routings are always post fx. Possible to send each track to Cue and Main depending on their respecting level, mute state (in Studio mode, Cue and Main are linked concerning mutes).

One limitation for track 8 if set as Master Track : can’t send to Cue.

2 Likes

Awesome…thanks so much.

1 Like

Awesome tips. Thanks Merlin!!!